Sponsored by:

Project Shrek: Sport seat transformation

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 12:35 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

George - Great project. Can you give us an update? How did they turn out? I'm assuming you have many miles on them by now.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:24 PM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Oh wow, 3 years already.

Seats are still in the car, still fully functional. Lumbar support has saved my back (literally) a few times on longer trips, above 4 hours. Bolsters don't need any advertising any more, they are a godsend.

Heating works in both seats although there is a glitch on the driver side, where it goes full on, without adjustability. I need to look into it, but spare parts for these are horrendously expensive.

Leather is doing nicely. Of course I don't wear studded pants, or belts, and I clean the leather twice a year thoroughly and feed it at the same intervals, using Colorplus Leather Soffener so far. The can is almost empty, and i'll have to hunt for another product, but this soffener has worked very well so far.

All in all it was a worthwile project, and this version of the factory sport seats has turned out to be the best, and yes, I have tried all.

Of course, I have not been idle in the meantime, and these are for the next car:

Last edited by GeorgeK; 12-11-2014 at 02:43 AM.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:32 AM
V
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking great George, wow!

Can you tell us more about those manual seats, awesome! What is the weight of these compared to the other ones you have and also compared to the Recaro racing shells?

Keep up the good work
Old 06-12-2013, 08:34 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Hi V,
Those seats are for an '84 cabrio. They weigh much less than the full electric seats in the C4. They have heating however, an option I installed during refurbishing.
I figure that each motor, related wiring and gears add about 1 Kg to the seat, so full electric is 6Kgs per seat, plus the heating pads and relays.
I have a pair of C4 sport seats in the works without any electrics as well, but on the back burner.
You have to tell me more about the aluminum doors in your signature, though.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:37 AM
V
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Email sent

Quick Reply: Project Shrek: Sport seat transformation