Sponsored by:

993 Vram into a 91 964

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 12:36 PM
dave964diver
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jevvy964
Gus is spot on, headline bhp wont change much but hopefully a but more grunt. Once its all up running and sorted I'll take it for a remap and let you know the numbers. I suspect the overall package is lighter than the 964 lump that came out(certainly sitting a bit higher) due to the single box exhaust on the 993 lump so hopefully the conversion hasn't added any overal weight.

Did a few more jobs at the weekend including sorting out some brackets, fitting rear bumper and rear ARB, tidying looms up and generally getting it ready for an MOT. Need to sort the tailpipes out as they dont really fit the holes in the bumper and it needs a cracked screen replaced but then its actually ready to rock

Also fitted some new rear lights that have been sat waiting to go on, they really do make a difference!

Looking forward to having a drive now its almost done
Looks great Jevvy,

I'm head scratching at the min about intakes... Not sure what to do varioram or itbs or something else.....:/
Old 07-06-2014, 01:22 PM
jevvy964
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Quick update on the Vram swap...

The day after the MOT it stopped starting so I went in a huff with it for a few weeks. After muchos checking I found a loose starter wire which is totally my fault, gutted! Anways happy it was an easy fix to get it going again which gave me a bit of momentum to get all the other bits finished off like fitting the sill covers, under trays and various other little bits. Ride height has come up a fair bit since swapping the engines and the adjusters are on their lowest setting so will have to look at some new springs/new full suspension at some point soon.

With it all back together I took it out for a decent drive today. Seems to go really well with a bit more poke low down but felt a little dull up top compared to my non-vram engine. Quick trip back to the house and I was only getting 75/80% throttle at WOT, hmmmm might that be it? Ripped the pedal board out and removed the factory throttle stop which gave just enough extra throw before the pedal hit the board which gave us 100% open at the butterfly - result!. Quick trip round the block and I think that has woken it up a bit more which is great news, babs is off for her first proper drive in it now so hopefully she's happy too. Plan is to get some miles on it then change the oil and take it up to wayne for a remap and see what we get.

Needs a bloody good clean but heres a few pics from the drive out today:

Old 07-06-2014, 02:29 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

If you adjusted the actual throttle cable length by getting more travel at the pedal this will impact on your TPS ( throttle position switch ) which is critical to the operation of the ECU and VE table. You need to go back into the tuning set up and recalibrate the TPS from "0" to "100" percent open with your new mechanical settings. As all these old setting in the TPS /ECU are no longer valid and allow more. Another item to check on is what RPM do you have the ECU opening the flaps in the Vram - There are two RPM settings which the flaps in the Vram operate. If these are not functional at high RPMs you will notice a loss of top end power also - 5200 RPM and then 5800 RPM are the trigger RPM settings - at 5800 RPM all flaps should be open fully. These are controlled by the vacuum solenoids on the Vram.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:40 PM
jevvy964
Pro

Hey Gus thanks for the reply.

Originally Posted by Gus
You need to go back into the tuning set up and recalibrate the TPS from "0" to "100" percent open with your new mechanical settings.
What do you mean by "go back into the tuning set up"? The engine doesnt know I wasnt getting 100% throttle, it just through I was driving Miss daisy for the first few runs, deffo woke up after adjusting the throw on the pedal.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:19 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Ok - I don't know what set up you are running - is it a stock 993 Vram ECU??
The basis for my not it that the TPS must be calibrated within the ECU. The throttle control the butterfly which has the TPS attached to it. The ECU has to be have the TPS calibrated to the position of the actual throttle settings. When the throttle is closed the TPS needs to send a signal to the ECU that the throttle is closed. IF the throttle is 100% open the TPS needs to send this signal to ECU. If you go in and change how far the throttle opens without re-adjusting or at least checking the the TPS. readings - then within the ECU, the ECU may think that the engine is at 100% throttle when you are really only at 85% throttle or vice versa.
IF you are just running a stock 993 ECU for the Vram then forget all this - as I am not sure how the TPS is adjusted within the 993 ECU. But with most secondary ECU's one of the first adjustments you make is to set the TPS at 0 and at 100% so the ECU computer knows what the TPS is telling it. Any time you change throttle cable travel it affects the TPS.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:29 AM
jevvy964
Pro

Originally Posted by Gus
IF you are just running a stock 993 ECU for the Vram then forget all this - as I am not sure how the TPS is adjusted within the 993 ECU.
thanks again gus, I'm using all the factory stuff so should be spot on now that I'm getting full throttle travel.

done a few more miles in it now, deffo more grunt low down compared to a 964 lump.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:29 PM
Falk930
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you worked on the exhaust noise?

Falk
Old 08-27-2016, 10:08 AM
jevvy964
Pro

Originally Posted by Falk930
Have you worked on the exhaust noise?

Falk
Sorry Falk I missed this question. I have fitted some better routed outlets from the magnaflow box which send the noise straight backwards instead of out to the side which has helped bring the in-car volume down a bit. The Whole system has also bedded in a little which has taken the barky edge off it a bit too.

Finally managed to get the car to Wayne Scofield for a remap, he worked his magic and found a good few extra horses from the Vram:

Really does go like stink now!
Old 08-28-2016, 01:15 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Default Update / Questions

Like the black head light rims - good touch -
I am amazed at the Dyno sheet - yoiu are pulling 340 HP and the best I have been able to get is around 305 HP. Your engine is a full 993 with bigger valves though, Yes??
While mine is a stock 964 with a 993 Vram added. But, I am still amazed that you can pull 40 more HP over mine, would like to have Wayne tune on my engine and see what he could get out of it.
Any way here are some pictures of my current set up. Note- the center flap seal on the bottom side of the Vram stared to leak oil on the engine upper tin ware. ( see pic ol lower flap ) The Vram was pulling oil in from the oil tank from the rubber pipe that goes directly to the intake manifold after the butterflies, which is a vacuum connection to reduce pressure in the tank. Not a good thing - trying to figure out how to stop so have installed a oil/air separator in the middle of the line. Will see how this works. The outlet at the tank is a pipe about 1/2 inch in diameter but it has a restrictor plate which reduces the outlet to a 1/16 inch hole.
I also turned the intake an added the air filter on the side. Made a fiberglass housing to reduce lower hot air intake and increase upper cool air intake from the spoiler openings.
Also playing with exhaust set ups - here is pick of current headers with SupperTrapp mufflers.
Anyway - your car looks great - nice work - keep us posted on new developments as you go -
Attached Images     
Old 08-29-2016, 04:52 AM
ras62
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The headline number of 340 is very impressive but that dyno is well known for giving high numbers. The print really needs a before/after to see the gains from the session.

https://www.porscheclubgb.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=372779

The link above shows several unmodified VR cars way over 300bhp on the same dyno much to owners surprise.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:40 PM
jevvy964
Pro

Originally Posted by Gus
Your engine is a full 993 with bigger valves though, Yes??
Thanks for the comments Gus, yes its a full 993 engine swap. Yours is looking good these days, I remember when you first did the vram install.

Originally Posted by ras62
The headline number of 340 is very impressive but that dyno is well known for giving high numbers. The print really needs a before/after to see the gains from the session.
Don't mention.....dyno-gate!

Agreed the dyno has a bit of a reputation for being generous but its really just a tool to aid tuning. The car really is quite different post-remap and so well worth the cost of remap whatever the number is.

Thanks for the link, didn't see that thread back in the day
Old 12-08-2016, 03:55 AM
Mav
Racer

Recently bought an Vram already converted 90 964. However the Varioram Intake Manifold is sitting to high only the RSR wing can fit in. How can I lower the manifold so I can put the original retractable spoiler back on.

Old 12-08-2016, 08:39 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

I had the same problem -
My solution was - 1. Lower the engine just a little by adding a small collar on the rear engine mount (2 bolts).
2. I removed the inside plastic grill that sits below the spoiler on the inside. This gave me enough room to close the engine hood - still made minor contact in one spot on the VRAM which I solved by grinding away a little plastic.
Check and see how much clearance you need, maybe just one of these will work for you.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:38 PM
Mav
Racer

Gus Thanks for the input

Quick Reply: 993 Vram into a 91 964