Need adhesive for 3rd brake light mounting

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 04:10 AM
ketel
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need adhesive for 3rd brake light mounting

Gang,

A year ago a vandal smashed my rear window. Even since the new rear window went in, the 3rd brake light has never remained affixed to the window for very long. I've tried everything I can think of -- double-sided tape, hook-and-loop tape, velcro tape, epoxy, crazy glue. Nothing has worked.

It seems any heat or direct light will heat up the cabin and moisten whatever adhesive I'm using. Before long, I return to my vehicle and the 3rd brake light is dangling by its wires. Looks god-awful (not to mention embarassing when I have a passenger)

Where can I source the OEM Porsche rear window adhesive? My second choice is for the STRONGEST adhesive I can find that will affix to plastic (the gasket on the light) and to glass and is heat-resistant.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

ketel
Old 05-08-2009, 06:37 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

If you have an adhesive free rear windshield, why don't you buy an aftermarket (In performance catalog)
rear spoiler/brake light. I hate looking back and having the 3rd brake light right in the center of my view.
When mine was loose & hanging (not completely off), I used some industrial strength Velcro to re-attach.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:43 PM
ketel
Advanced

Where did you get the industrial strength velcro? Is it a brand name?

thanks.

ketel
Old 05-08-2009, 01:23 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am puzzled. DId the replacemnt glass have the black outline for the brake light?

part number for adhesive is 000 043 069 00 $75

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...&siteid=214626
Old 05-08-2009, 08:34 PM
ketel
Advanced

Yes, the replacement glass has the black strip (otherwise I would consider the suggestion to just leave the brake light off.)

Thanks for the URL.

ketel

Originally Posted by stevepaa
I am puzzled. DId the replacemnt glass have the black outline for the brake light?

part number for adhesive is 000 043 069 00 $75

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...&siteid=214626
Old 05-08-2009, 08:42 PM
dynogyno
Instructor

I just replaced mine 3 weeks ago with 3M double sided tape for mirrors. You know how hot Fresno is , and it is tightly adherent so far. Prepped with rubbing alcohol. Careful with glues, they will chemically bind to, and alter the glass structure. Good luck.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:17 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I bought the Velcro at K-Mart.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:32 AM
Bates
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

3M has a product called VHB. It is a VERY strong tape. You likely can find it at any autobody repair facility...it holds on trim strips and body moldings. It is designed to be permanent...and I mean permanent.

Always select acrylic based adhesives and tape when the bond will be exposed to water or UV rays. Rubber based adhesives won't last long in these conditions.

With any tape or adhesive surface prep. is key. The best tape in the world won't stick if the surface is not clean.

If you can't locate a good product locally, send me a PM and I will send you a 1 yard sample roll.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:18 AM
ketel
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bates
If you can't locate a good product locally, send me a PM and I will send you a 1 yard sample roll.
Thanks, Bates. I picked up a different 3M double-sided tape product from the hardware store along with a can of Bug and Tar removal spray to get all the gook off the windscreen before attempting install. If that attempt still fails I will take you up on your kind offer.

Thanks,
ketel

Quick Reply: Need adhesive for 3rd brake light mounting