Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best cone air filter intake kit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 10:33 PM
ketel
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best cone air filter intake kit?

Gang,

Some time ago I did the 'poor man's' airbox mod, which is to say I took a hole saw and bored out the back of the air box to lessen the restriction. I also installed the flat K&N filter. It did add some oomph and a nice growl under acceleration.

Now I noticed the rear airbox clamps have broken off and the airbox basically dangles now. Not good. So, I'm thinking of chucking this config and getting one of those cone air filter intake kits that are so popular. Which one's the best? and, where can i order it? Are install instructions included? Easy to do?

Advice appreciated.

Thanks,
ketel
Old 04-27-2009, 10:56 PM
rotorheadcase
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes they are easy to install an K&N seems to be the most popular brand... That said, I think you will find the general consensus amongst people far more knowledgable than me about our cars is to use the stock airbox.

I've recently removed the pod filter the previous owner installed and gone back to a modified stock air box with a small extension snorkel near the spoiler intake grill to try and capture a bit more of the cold air from outside the car. The cone filter sits a long way back in the engine bay and does not get enough cool air into the engine.

Just my interpretation of the information available, others may have differing opinions.

Neil
Old 04-27-2009, 11:53 PM
dynogyno
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put on an Evo fresh air intake with cone filter that comes out vertically (where the stock snorkel begins). Looks great, but......I hate to admit it......the engine noise enhancement seems to be lost now. I will keep it because it is very easy to remove and clean. I hate those damn airbox clips! This was my first project ever on my p-car and it only took 30 minutes. Hope this helps.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:31 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

itg

Quick Reply: best cone air filter intake kit?