Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 12:53 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 494 Posts
Default Fire Extinguisher Install - Not too exciting but lots of pics

Wanted to share a fairly easy fire extinguisher install with my fellow listers:

Seats: Recaro Pole Position SPG (manual of course)
Extinguisher: OMP - went for a fairly large 2kg powder OMP Extinguisher
Mount: BK- FEM15 Porsche Shop UK or Stable Energies

I wanted a larger fire extinguisher than the teeny weenie little one in the GT3 so I went for a fairly large one - just in case! I was also thinking a lot about the install (roll bar mount? passenger side floor mount?) and decided that I did not want to risk a 2kg extinguisher coming lose in the car anywhere close to my head. I was also sensitive about being able to reach the extinguisher while still strapped into the harness. This led me to the seat front install.

BK - manual seat mount. It comes with 4 tapped holes and 4 screws (I only used 2):

OMP Powder Extinguisher with Mount (Halon not available in Europe):

Fire Extinguisher Mount by itself

Mount attached to the BK bar (mounting points on the extinguisher mount slide)

Mount attached to the BK bar with the extinguisher

The BK mount sandwiched in between the seat sliders and the Recaro side mounts (same as for the sub belt mount bar).

It clears the seat slide bar nicely (you are still able to pull it up to move the seat)

with extinguisher installed

Before:

Finished Product in the car. No problems moving the seat as the slide bar can be lifted to release the slide mechanism and the extinguisher slides with the seat. Legs don't touch the extinguisher:

Not affiliated with any of the vendors or stores (blah blah blah) - just like to products

Last edited by Frank 993 C4S; 04-04-2009 at 05:01 PM.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:02 PM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That is a nice set up. My Region's tech form states that the driver has to be able to reach the extinguisher? It does not say anything about if this has to work when you are belted or harnessed? I had that mount from BK and the quick release= pretty nice but expensive. I hope you never have to use it! See my solution below:
Old 04-04-2009, 04:00 PM
Oracle
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Livefreeandrive
That is a nice set up. My Region's tech form states that the driver has to be able to reach the extinguisher? It does not say anything about if this has to work when you are belted or harnessed? I had that mount from BK and the quick release= pretty nice but expensive. I hope you never have to use it! See my solution below:
I don't mean to be rude but I think you care about compliance more than anything and that's fine if thats the objective but don't you want to put in in a place easier to reach and pull in case of a real emergency? After all its your life what could be the price...
Old 04-04-2009, 05:06 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 494 Posts

The FE is something you hope you never have to use, however it's good to have one should someone ever be in trouble.

DE regulations are actually fairly easy here in Europe. In comparison to the US, I am not aware of any fire extinguisher or pre-tech inspection requirement. We don't have run groups and even give passenger rides!
Old 04-05-2009, 01:22 PM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Oracle, I have a much easier time with my two release buttons than reaching over into the passenger foot well? If I was racing or had really high DE ambitions and the cost associated with it, I would go for the "system". If I thought there was more risk of dying while driving at a DE versus the highway I would not do it?
Old 04-05-2009, 10:42 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In canada we also are not allowed to use halon only B and C type.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:16 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Frank, don't apologize, its enough to get hearts aflutter around here. Great looking install!

Quick Reply: Fire Extinguisher Install - Not too exciting but lots of pics