Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension options & recommendation (as on FVD)

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 08:17 AM
mpeters951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension options & recommendation (as on FVD)

RL's:

I'm a bit confused. For my '90 C2 which is becoming as much track dedicated as fair weather street car; I'd like to change out current shocks with good matching bits.

Current: Ruf anti-roll bars with H&R turbo (red) springs. Front shock has a Ruf logo and spec of this shock is unknown (to me). Ruf Dallas inquiries on this have gone unanswered. Rear shock looks like standard Boge.

I'm casting about for shock alternatives and have read the various suspension upgrade threads and have concluded that I'd like to fully explore the shock upgrade alone and will think more longer term about matched coilovers.

FVD seems well stocked with alternatives. Before going the simple route of Bilstein HD, as Koni Yellow's are no longer available for early 964, I sure would like to see and hear some validation on what is going to work best and match up best with the H&R reds/Ruf bars. Current handling/ride is near perfect (with R compund tires) for my DE purposes.

Has anyone here got real info, with respect to early 964 fitment of what FVD has on offer: Pictures below follow the order of description here

Rear:

Shock rear 964 RS 115 333 057 (Noted as fitting '91+)
Shock rear 964 Cup 115 333 503 (Noted as fitting '90)

Front:

Bilstein Carrera Cup 964 115 343 509/510 (Noted as fitting '90)
Bilstein 964 RS 115 343 041/042 (Noted as fitting '92)

So, a few Q's; can those pieces noted as RS above fit or legitimately be made to fit a 1990 C2 ?

Or am I making a mountain out of a mole-hill and I should just apply Bilstein standard rear shocks as most of the handling equation is borne by the H&R reds and the Ruf bars ?

I wonder if best alternative with the current springs and bars is/are the "Cup" bits, both of which are noted as fitting.

Opinions invited as I'd like to avoid a ****-up.

Last edited by mpeters951; 03-29-2011 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:03 PM
DaveConn
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just my $.02...

I am guessing you are aware that the '90 chassis has a different length, from lower to upper mounting points, for the rear struts, versus the '91 and later models.

Im my case, when I was looking a year and a half ago, I opted for the Bilstein PSS9 setup, as i wanted to still make fair use of my car on the street (I live in the Midwest). I really like the adjustability, and they can 'easily' be swapped back and forth for street/track duty. I don't know if the new PSS-10 comes in the appropriate size, but when I bought mine I had Steve Weiner at Rennsport Systems assemble the rears with his custom machined spacers - perfect fit. He may have them for various Bilstein setups.

I'm switching to Motons this winter, but I'm afraid I can't say much yet regarding their fitment. FWIW, I have heard the 'Cup' strut and spring assemblies are fairly aggressive for street use, but as usual, YMMV.

Best of luck,

Dave
Old 12-23-2008, 07:03 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a mixed DE/street car, I think the adjustable suspensions like JIC or PSS-9/10 are well worth the money.

I have the JIC-Cross set-up on my track car and PSS-9's on my daily driver (for street/DE car). I like the JIC better.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:11 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Just changing shock/struts without matching the spring rates does not work. Do yourself a favor and start with the springs, then match the shock valving to that.

And there is no such thing a a compromise setup. A great track suspension sucks on a street. A nice street suspension sucks at the track.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:34 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

If you go to this web page you will see the differences between Cup and RS parts. http://carreracupusa.org/Race/Suspension/Suspension.htm

The parts pictured by you above appear to be ordered from top to bottom

1) RS rear
2) Cup rear
3) Cup front
4 RS front

Note on the website above that the Cup's front is an inverted design monotube Bilstein shock with a 40 mm diameter strut rod (covered by blue accordion in FVD pic) while the RS' is a dual tube design with a smaller 22 mm diameter strut rod.

Edit note the strut rod diameters for front strut have changed.

Last edited by Cupcar; 12-23-2008 at 09:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Suspension options & recommendation (as on FVD)