Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Leak front right wheel

Old 10-11-2008, 08:55 PM
Scamper
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Leak front right wheel

A slight oil leak has appeared from the front wheel area just by the jacking point (?) not a lot but enough for me to notice, any ideas what this is?? front oil cooler unions?
Old 10-11-2008, 09:36 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Scamper
... any ideas what this is?? front oil cooler unions?
Yes.

Could be as simple as the washer (aluminum seal) that has deteriorated or as bad as a cracked oil cooler...

Just remove the wheel, under fender cover, and inspect the area.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:02 AM
C24FUN
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Just to clarify, this is where your oil cooler is. As Jaime said there can be any number of things that cause oil to leak here. If it's only a few drops you've got time to check it out. I my case it is the flex portion of the 18 year old oil lines that are starting to weep. When the car is being driven hard , more oil appears. I plan to replace them this winter. Best thing is to open up the area (wheel and plastic wheel well cover) give the whole area a good clean (degreaser and hot water is one way) then drive it to see where it gets oily.

Jim g.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:27 AM
Scamper
Instructor

Thanks guys. I will check it out.

I took it out on a trackday on Friday and got black flagged for excessive smoke! I think the build up of oil on the heat exchangers became too noticeable at the end of the day.

I have a spray of oil inside the engine compartment (which wasnt there previously) around the oil/fuel filter so will need to pull the engine fan out to investigate where thats coming from.. I think it may be the oil pressure regulator leaking.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:48 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Scamper
Thanks guys. I will check it out.

I took it out on a trackday on Friday and got black flagged for excessive smoke! I think the build up of oil on the heat exchangers became too noticeable at the end of the day.

I have a spray of oil inside the engine compartment (which wasnt there previously) around the oil/fuel filter so will need to pull the engine fan out to investigate where thats coming from.. I think it may be the oil pressure regulator leaking.
Clean the area well and check. Leaks around that area of the engine are not always engine oil... sometimes is the powersteering fluid. those two hoses from the power steering tend to leak with age. Good time to replace them while you are there.

Keep us posted!
Old 11-09-2008, 09:49 PM
RandyF
AutoX

On the topic of "Oil Leak front right wheel", I've had a similar issue myself. My mechanic replaced the oil lines, which were in pretty bad shape from what I saw. However I still have oil leaking in the front right which I believe is not related to the new oil lines or the connection points:

So from what I can tell, this would strongly suggest that the oil cooler is leaking. Has anyone else had this issue on their 964? I've since cleaned up the area to better diagnose the problem, and I'll watch it over the next few days. Any suggestions or advice before I plunk down $400 for a new cooler?

Thanks for any feedback on this.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:57 PM
surfdog4
Instructor

i wanted to revive this as i have a very slow leak that seems to be coming from the oil cooler...i say cooler because when i took a look there didn't seem to be any oil around the hose connections, it's all at the bottom, but i can't see where it is coming from. What's really strange is that the amount of the leak varies from time to time..sometimes it's almost none and other times it's maybe a teaspoon/tablespoon a day...so is that consistent with an oil cooler leak? If so, how hard is it to change out? Thanks!
Old 04-14-2012, 11:58 PM
chris951
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same leak when I bought my C2. I replaced both oil cooler lines and it fixed the leak. It really isn't hard to do, you just need some big wrenches, new oil lines, and some new clips for the rocker panel.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Leak front right wheel