Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Right Park Wiper Mod

Old 06-10-2007, 10:02 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Right Park Wiper Mod

With the recent discussions of wiper mods.. I went and did the conversion to the Right-park today. This mod gets the wipers to park on the passenger's side so they are out of the way, and also the driver's side wiper sits on a flatter part of the windshield so it doesn't have to rest in a warped position.

The simplest answer is that the primary arm for the wiper assembly needs to rotate 180 degrees. The wiper motor shaft will always park in the same position, so it is a simple matter of pulling the arm off, and rotating it to the opposite side. This is simple in theory, but the location is cramped, and prone to dropping tools into the oblivion below the windshield...

Notes are in the images themselves, but a couple of hints....
Make yourself a prying screwdriver as photographed. Very easy, and very useful in the long run for pulling the arm off.. and for other things. Also invest in a set of swivel sockets. You will have a devil of a time with the shaft nut without the 13MM one, and they're awesome for lots of jobs on the 964.

Also its a dumb thing.. but I tied strings to my tools so when I inevitably dropped them into the gap I could get them back. Its hard to reach into there.

So the order:
In the front trunk, pull the carpet back, and pull out the plastic valance in the back below the windshield.
Locate the motor by the arrow...
Loosen the nut, but learn from my mistake.. don't take the nut all the way off... it is hard to put back on.
Gently tap on the nut/shaft and if you can, also use some screwloose or other penetrant to get the arm off the shaft. Don't tap on the shaft itself, as you can damage the threads.
Use the pry bar you made to pull the arm off.
With it loose, gently lift and move the wipers over to the other side, while guiding the arm around the shaft. (NOTE, watch out you don't scratch your hood paint with the wiper arms moving.) Be sure your new wiper position is pointing to the right place... I put my driver's wiper bottom about 1/4 inch above the rubber windshield seal.
If you did it right, you will notice that the new arm position completely blanks out the nut access.. the secondary arm is now over the shaft. If you have a small wrench, you can tighten the nut, but if you can't reach it, do the trick of turning on the ignition, then starting the wipers, then quickly turning off the car so the wipers stop in mid-wipe, then tighten normally.

Enjoy!

[IMG] Here are the pix[/IMG]
Attached Images        
Old 06-10-2007, 10:06 PM
jneteler
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent write-up with very good pictures and graphics.

Now I need to do the polar opposite for my RHD C4.

thanks,

J.G. Neteler
Old 06-10-2007, 11:03 PM
wsybert
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Nice writeup and looks like an easy DIY.
I may do that this week.
Thanks.
Bill
Old 06-11-2007, 12:02 AM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 116 Posts

Tom,

Great right up. Have to file this one away and add it to my growing project list.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:34 AM
parsecnc4
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very interesting indeed. Will the wiper movement operate correctly now that they are on the opposite side?
Old 06-11-2007, 01:47 AM
jneteler
Racer

parsecnc4

Yes, when operating the motor turns through 360 degrees. All that is changed is where the wipers park.

JNeteler
Old 06-11-2007, 08:38 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess your passenger side wiper now sits off the screen because the equivalent one on my RHD car does? Did I also see on here that now you've moved it over, that you can increase the size of your driver's side wiper which will clean a bigger radius for your?
Old 06-11-2007, 09:34 AM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Just had a look at the finished picture and did a compare with mine . I have the later two spring arms which have a 30 degree bend before the blade attatchement . That allows the blades to lay horizontal to the bottom edge of the screen .
Both blades are one and a half inches , right across , up from the lower screen edge . If you dont know about these things it all looks standard .

Maybe another small appearance improvement ?

Good job desricption and really isnt difficult .

Geoff

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KS400200 , the oldest 964 on Rennlist , unless you know differently !
Old 06-11-2007, 09:51 AM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Geoff,

What sort of pattern do you get on the wipe? Currently my passenger side gets less than a full sweep. There are triangles, for want of a better description, near the lower edge of the windshield that do not get swept when it rains. Do you now have that sort of pattern on your Driver's side?

If the wipers could be parked parallel and near the lower windshield and still give a full sweep on the Driver's side I'd definitely do this mod.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 06-11-2007, 10:00 AM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Dave ,

The wipe goes through 90 degrees so I have never noticed any unswept bit , except the screen areas that the 17 inch blade doesnt touch ?

Allows me to see so much better in the rain .

I am going to have to learn how to attatch photos !!

Geoff

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 06-11-2007, 10:57 AM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Geoff,

One more question, if I may, you said that you have the later two spring arms with a 30 degree bend before the blade. Would that be 964.628.028.01 and .02 in the following pic?

Thanks,
Dave
Attached Images  
Old 06-11-2007, 11:44 AM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Dave ,
Just to be sure I just took a look at the arms.
Stamped in them is

964 628 028 03

I just checked on PET and I dont understand either ! All I remember is that they were the latest two spring version that was supposed to be better .
With the standard blades I didnt find them any better !
Definetely the arm end has a 25 degree bend to put the blades flat .

This is the problem of getting really into something like this , getting happy and then the years go by and memory fades !

Perhaps someone else has bought these arms recently and its just a parts/stamping thing !

Maybe Jason will swing into action - Mr parts !!!

Geoff

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Right Park Wiper Mod