Sponsored by:

Cleaning an Oil tank

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 01:40 PM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Cleaning an Oil tank

OK, so all that's left on my rebuild is to get the oil tank back in the car. As you may recall, I had a slit in one of the breather tubes that let a bunch of sand into the oil tank, and this is the third engine rebuild. So, I replaced all of the oil system, cooler, pump, and some hoses, but thought I could clean the tank. It looks very labrynthine, and difficult to clean. A new one from PCNA is over $1000!

Has anybody sucessfully cleaned one of these out? I've tried with steam, solvents and brushes, but still get a couple of grains of sand out each time. Don't want them going directly to the oil pump and destroying my bearings again.

The sand came in from the top, from one of the breather tubes, and I just don't see any way to clean up there.

HELP!
Old 05-01-2007, 08:44 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

I would spend some time looking for a specialty shop that deals with diesel engined 18-wheelers. Perhaps they deal with cleaning components like that. Otherwise, you're on your own. I didn't realize that they were that complex.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:28 PM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

I found a used one at Parts Heaven, and it's 'only' $350. I'll probably pick it up, and cut the old one up to show everybody the internals.

Just don't want any more sand in my bearings.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:48 PM
Eric Kessel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Have you given any thought to adding the 993/964 turbo oil filter console on the engine? It places an oil filter right after the oil pump, but before the oil goes through the engine.......
Old 05-02-2007, 01:36 AM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tank

send it out to cleaned ultrasonically. there are companys that do this and clean oil coolers as well. a transmission shop might be able to help. i believe there is a last chance coarse screen in the tank so you need to turn upside down and reverse flush it. there has to be someone ( business) in the excellence magazine that can put you on the right track.

if you buy used, your goona be in the same situation, i would have that thing cleaned to. you dont know what life it had. yours can be cleaned. good luck
Old 05-02-2007, 01:40 AM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default here you go

(Ken Daugherty One method to clean the 356 oil cooler is to turn it upside down, fill with lacquer thinner and let soak overnight. In the morning, drain it and then refill with Simple Green or Bleche White and let soak for another day. Then drain it and rinse thoroughly with hot water until it runs clear. Blow it out and refill with WD40 (it is a water dispersant) and drain and blow dry. Fill with clean motor oil and let stand until ready to use.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Wyatt Blankenship, Tom Martinez, and other recommend Lanfried Ultrasonic Cleaning, 20730 South Main St, Carson, CA. Contact: Jerry Marquez. Tel. 327-8930.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Alan Klinger at The Stable says Send it to Ultrasonic Cleaning in Carson, CA. They will get it absolutely clean, clean enough to FAA certify it. If you could see the process they is no way you can replicate it. They flush and filter the effluents with special solvents and they check the flushed solvent for debris.

Quick Reply: Cleaning an Oil tank