Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Brake calipers won't come off...

Old 01-27-2007, 06:30 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 504 Likes on 186 Posts
Question Help! Brake calipers won't come off...

I'm trying to remove my brake calipers (front) and they won't come off. I took off the two 19mm bolts but the calipers seem stuck to the rotors. They move slightly along w. the rotors. The car is lifted on jack stands, the e brake is off,, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks!
Old 01-27-2007, 06:39 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do your rotors have a lip at the outside edge ?
Old 01-27-2007, 07:10 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
I'm trying to remove my brake calipers (front) and they won't come off ... what am I doing wrong?
Have you removed the brake pads or at least pushed them (actually the pistons but...) back against the caliper so that they are not resting against and grabbing the rotor?
Old 01-27-2007, 08:35 PM
a964man
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try the above with the brake fluid reservoir cap removed, worked for me!
Old 01-28-2007, 12:17 AM
chancecasey
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also keep an eye on the reservoir level when you compress the pads - makes it rise and you don't want it to spill out because it will eat through paint like nobody's business.

Channel locks work great for compressing the pads - and you can use a towel or cardboard or something on the outside if you're worried about marring a pretty caliper paint job.

One other thing, if you have a "lip" on the rotor so that you can't get a channel lock in there, you might be able to just apply force on the caliper towards the inside of the car, then towards the outside, to compress them a little first.

Failing all else, open the bleeder valve and do the above and it should be easy - of course you'll need a tube and catch bottle.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:03 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 504 Likes on 186 Posts

Thanks for the tips! Yes, the rotors definitely have a lip. They're worn out so I'm replacing them. I tried prying the caliper off the rotor with a flat head screw driver, but didn't want to apply too much force. I'll try to open the reservoir and if that fails, then I'll open the bleeder valve. The fluid will have to be flushed anyway. Oh and my battery's totally dead BTW, this week's cold weather killed it. I haven't had a chance to plug it into a charger. Dunno if that has any effect on the situation or not.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help! Brake calipers won't come off...