Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sealed the case, 2 extra o-rings! Aargh

Old 12-03-2006, 03:16 PM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Sealed the case, 2 extra o-rings! Aargh

OK, so I sealed the case, and have 2 of the small 8x2 orings that are used on the case through bolts left over. The kit came with 26, but I only found places for 24 of them. The PET says that the case sealing kit comes with 26 as well.

Where do the other 2 go? Did I miss a location, or are they just extra in case of screwups? Waynes book only says there are 24 needed, but that's for the older engines, not the 964. I really want to put the cylinders on today, not open the case back up!
Old 12-03-2006, 03:56 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a total bugger .
Old 12-04-2006, 09:16 AM
964Patrick
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sucks.
Fortunately for me that problem only occurs when the g/f went shopping @ IKEA
Old 12-04-2006, 12:47 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PET only calls out for 24, same as number of special washers they fit on. I think there were two other bolts that were not through bolts in the front of the engine, (flywheel end) Could they fit there? PET does not show them there
Old 12-04-2006, 01:32 PM
sundog
Race Director

Originally Posted by stevepaa
PET only calls out for 24, same as number of special washers they fit on. I think there were two other bolts that were not through bolts in the front of the engine, (flywheel end) Could they fit there? PET does not show them there
That was my conclusion. Even the workshop manual lists 11 for each end of the through bolts, and 2 for the ends of the captive bolts, leading to a total of 24. Why then 26 in the PET rebuild kit, and the aftermarket bottom end kit.

Oh well, next engine will be a lot easier eh steve!
Old 12-04-2006, 02:34 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Probably a poor time to ask... But did you use the green viton ones or the blue ones?

Kirk
Old 12-04-2006, 03:29 PM
sundog
Race Director

Originally Posted by KirkF
Probably a poor time to ask... But did you use the green viton ones or the blue ones?

Kirk
The kit came with the little blue ones. But i did use a generous helping of the Dow Corning 111 (I think thats the number) as recommended by Jerry Woods.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:45 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Since you have two extras anyways, why dont you pull out one of your through bolts and check how the blue ones held up?

If its squished and torn, then order up the green viton o-rings and replace them. If it looks ok then the Dow 111 did its job and let the o-ring slide around without being damaged.

There was some compelling pictures on Pelican showing freshly installed and removed blue o-rings.
They did not look very healthy. They were torn, had lost their shape, and squished out around the through bolts. I beleive Porsche changed to all green viton after 1991. (Dont quote me on that one)

I found the Wrightwood racing gasket set to be of superior quality to the Victor Reinz set. (Except for the RMS, I ended up using a factory porsche seal for that)

I would hate for you to get this motor together, only to find you have leaking at the through bolts.

Kirk
Old 12-04-2006, 06:59 PM
chancecasey
Burning Brakes

I agree with Kirk - when I pulled my freshly joined case apart (the first time) I noticed many of the blue o-rings were torn. I went with some red ones supplied by the dealership - seem to be the same as the green ones. Worked much better (had to take the case apart again so that's how I know) and they don't leak at all. Use something slippery like the Hylomar blue stuff, or whatever lube everyone says (I used red axle grease - no leaks).

I think you could do one bolt at a time without disturbing anything - but I'll defer to other experts on that.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:02 PM
chancecasey
Burning Brakes

Oh and p.s. if you've got your cam towers and heads assemebled, just remove and replace them as one piece - it will save a bunch of time. You've put a lot of work into this so far, don't cut corners with those crappy blue o-rings. It's not that much extra work if you haven't completely reassemled the engine.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:07 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

It just so happens there is a well timed thread on Pelican right now. It happens to show some pictures of what happens to the blue o-rings. The person in the thread thought the blue was a silicone sealant. It shows some excellent pictures:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=318188

Kirk
(I guess what I am trying nicely to say is for the love of god buy the green viton ones!!!)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sealed the case, 2 extra o-rings! Aargh