Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cigarette lighter

Old 01-02-2006, 12:09 PM
grankin
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Cigarette lighter

Bought me a spiffy Pelican Parts cupholder, the one that plugs into the cigarette lighter's socket. Removed it the other day so as to not bang into a large passenger's knees. Didn't loosen the base quite enough ... and it took the socket out with it.

The socket has a two-pronged plug at its back, plugs into a two-pronged socket ... which floats free back there, such that any attempt to re-plug the lighter socket into it means that it just pushes it farther back behind the dash.

This does not impede the use of the socket for the cupholder at all, but now there ain't no power to run the radar detector.

Any clues on how to get this back to where it was before I screwed it up?

Gene Rankin
Madison, WI
Old 01-02-2006, 12:37 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

grankin, one of the things I had to fix when I first bought my 964 ended up being exactly this. The connectors were not plugged in. I suspect the recent install of the Alpine deck the PO had done was the cuplrit.

Let me first say, it "ain't easy". Maybe someone else has a better answer but here is what I did. Hope fully you have smaller hands and a thinner wrist than I do. This thing is buried. You can't get to it from above by removing the dash top. If you can easily remove your radio this may be easier than my method.

- Remove glove box door
- Remove glove box liner
- Snake you hand up from glove box opening and get your fingers on the offending plug.
- Push the plug onto the lighter socket (easier said than done. This was painful)
- Re-insert the lighter socket and twist-lock it into place so it doesn't come out again.

Good luck!

Hopefully someone has a better answer. Pulling the CD/Radio seemed like a lot more work.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:55 PM
grankin
Instructor

Originally Posted by 92964cab
grankin, one of the things I had to fix when I first bought my 964 ended up being exactly this. The connectors were not plugged in. I suspect the recent install of the Alpine deck the PO had done was the cuplrit.

Let me first say, it "ain't easy". Maybe someone else has a better answer but here is what I did. Hope fully you have smaller hands and a thinner wrist than I do. This thing is buried. You can't get to it from above by removing the dash top. If you can easily remove your radio this may be easier than my method.

- Remove glove box door
- Remove glove box liner
- Snake you hand up from glove box opening and get your fingers on the offending plug.
- Push the plug onto the lighter socket (easier said than done. This was painful)
- Re-insert the lighter socket and twist-lock it into place so it doesn't come out again.

Good luck!

Hopefully someone has a better answer. Pulling the CD/Radio seemed like a lot more work.
Muchas gracias! But ... having just done something similar on my '91 VR4, replacing the teeny little lightbulbs on the heater switches and screwing one of them up semi-permanently (not a great loss on an 150K+ mi. car), I'll probably have to get likkered up before having a shot at this.
Old 01-02-2006, 01:03 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a cocktail or two could help.. I didn't try that. Sometimes the obvious things escape me...
Oh, and remove that fuse.

I wanted to repeat the twist-lock thing since it was the culprit. When I had my problem I found this thread that helped me alot: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=35947

Getting that thing locked back into place was at the top of my list when done!
Old 06-02-2006, 11:25 AM
grankin
Instructor

Originally Posted by 92964cab

- Remove glove box door
- Remove glove box liner

Good luck!

I tried this, but chickened out when I discovered that the glove box light had to be disconnected blind and, without a doubt (as they all do that, sir), would have to be reconnected blind. Which means I'd screw it up. Since I bought me a new radio, the old radio had to come out. Which it did ... eventually ... but then there's the need for v. long and triple-jointed fingers to even touch the lighter's plug way back there, let alone hold it still long enough to connect it to the socket.

It seems that the CR-1 radio slips into a metal sleeve, which sleeve seems to move a bit, but won't come out. Well, it will come out if you look v. carefully and see that there are a bazillion little metal finger-like things that impede its removal, and you have to pry each and every one away from where it grips the radio's aperture. As soon as you think you've got them all ... you discover that you don't. When you finally do, and you slide it free as well, then normal fingers can get the lighter all connected-up.

Gene Rankin
Old 06-23-2011, 04:48 PM
henkinc
Racer

actually, there are four bendable and approx 1 inch folding slats - two on top and two on bottom of the cage- which if gently bent out of the depressions into which they fit allow some cage motion out of the dash. Just an inch or so but enough so you do not have to remove the cage entirely. THEN, with this extra room to fit your hand, the trick is to hold the female from the car (with the light bulb in it) and press it onto the male of the socket by feel. You will be blind to this since the socket is in the ring, and your fingers have to feel it. By the way, I was unable to remove the black plastic ring itself which I thought would help. If anyone knows how to do this, please advise. But mine is in now, at least until it pulls out again since the ring does not seem to hold it tight. (I don't smoke, so this is for GPS power - another subject for compatibility reasons, as is well known.)
Old 06-23-2011, 08:09 PM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I have had a ticket once in my life while using a radar detector...because the thing was plugged into the lighter and the plug vibrated out...since then all anti detection devices get hard wired..
Old 06-24-2011, 10:49 AM
wellcraft290
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

http://www.paragon-products.com/Drin...er_p/air-1.htm

I have this one and love it. I know lot of money but came with my car and I love it no affiliation
Old 06-24-2011, 11:26 AM
henkinc
Racer

this is great. Now, does anyone have a suggestion for how to adapt the cigarette lighter opening for a US GPS or cell phone charger plug?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cigarette lighter