Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windscreen washer not working. How do I know if it's the pump or the stalk?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 11:26 AM
Millemiglia
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Windscreen washer not working. How do I know if it's the pump or the stalk?

Headlight washer is OK and luckily enough I have the intensive washer system installed and filled with regular washer fluid (with anti-freeze).
The windscreen washer works occassionally, does that indicate that the stalk needs replacing?
Every other function of the windscreen wiper/washer stalk works ok.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:56 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Peter - Have you checked the fuse?
Old 12-29-2005, 04:41 PM
Millemiglia
Racer

Originally Posted by Rob Aube
Peter - Have you checked the fuse?
Yes I have.
That's fuse #24 which also powers the headlight washers which are working.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:30 PM
deep_purple
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Peter, I would think that checking the motor is easier (and replacing it is much cheaper as well). I would check the connections to the motor first. The motor itself can be checked next. I did not have this problem on my964, but on my 944 it was very easy to replace the motor. I am guessing that it would be easy to take it out, apply 12v to see if it works.
As always, there is probably much more knowledge on this here on rennlist...
Old 12-29-2005, 08:42 PM
Bates
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My driver's side is mostly plugged. Your sure it is inoperable, not plugged?
Old 12-31-2005, 05:55 PM
joccomo
AutoX

Mille...

I thought the same thing when mine started acting up. Must be a burned out motor. But, my 1990 C2 has a litte button next to the clock with a windshield washer pic on it. I pushed it and the windscreen washers squirted like heck. (much to the chagrine of my mechanic who was poised to make some $$$ on a non-necessary repair). So, the motor must be good. But, when I use the stalk (as you call it) they only squirt softly and occasionally. Curious.... Don't go trying to change that motor yet. I talked to my mechanic, and the motor is attached to the reservoir, which is over the left front tire. Takes a bit of work to get it out. Don't think it is that easily accessible little number in the bonnet. That is for the headlight squirters. Try the little button (if you have it on your Euro Porsche)... and that may give you some indication of what IS NOT the problem... as for a fix.. someone else will have to chime in...
Jacque
P.S. How is Stockholm these days?? My buddy lives there and I was supposed to visit when Hurricane Katrina came to visit us in Louisiana. Blew my trip out (and my house and Porsche Too...)
Old 01-02-2006, 11:37 AM
Millemiglia
Racer

Thanks for the reply guys!

Originally Posted by deep_purple
Peter, I would think that checking the motor is easier (and replacing it is much cheaper as well). I would check the connections to the motor first. The motor itself can be checked next. I did not have this problem on my964, but on my 944 it was very easy to replace the motor. I am guessing that it would be easy to take it out, apply 12v to see if it works.
As always, there is probably much more knowledge on this here on rennlist...
Thanks, I know.
I just hoped to find a solution where I didn't have to remove the wheel...

Originally Posted by Bates
My driver's side is mostly plugged. Your sure it is inoperable, not plugged?
Yes I know it isn't plugged, because the intensive window washer is working and they share the same tubes.

Originally Posted by joccomo
Mille...

I thought the same thing when mine started acting up. Must be a burned out motor. But, my 1990 C2 has a litte button next to the clock with a windshield washer pic on it. I pushed it and the windscreen washers squirted like heck. (much to the chagrine of my mechanic who was poised to make some $$$ on a non-necessary repair). So, the motor must be good. But, when I use the stalk (as you call it) they only squirt softly and occasionally. Curious.... Don't go trying to change that motor yet. I talked to my mechanic, and the motor is attached to the reservoir, which is over the left front tire. Takes a bit of work to get it out. Don't think it is that easily accessible little number in the bonnet. That is for the headlight squirters. Try the little button (if you have it on your Euro Porsche)... and that may give you some indication of what IS NOT the problem... as for a fix.. someone else will have to chime in...
Jacque
P.S. How is Stockholm these days?? My buddy lives there and I was supposed to visit when Hurricane Katrina came to visit us in Louisiana. Blew my trip out (and my house and Porsche Too...)
The window washer works intermittently so I guess it's not the motor after all...
and I got the intensive washer system as a backup so I guess I'll wait until it fails completely and the I'll dig in under the wheel arches...

Stockholm is covered in snow, it's absolutely beautiful!
But if you're planning to visit Stockholm I'd say, wait until May... that's when the girls skirts go smaller and the temperature rises accordingly
Old 01-02-2006, 02:51 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Hiya Millemiglia
Can you find the wires that run from the switch to the motor ?
Old 01-02-2006, 04:33 PM
deep_purple
Instructor

Peter,

OT. Stockholm is on my list of places to visit. A very good friend of mine is from there, and I would love to visit in the next year or two. Heard so much about the city... Hmm, maybe I should plan to go there this May...

Quick Reply: Windscreen washer not working. How do I know if it's the pump or the stalk?