Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power but the car just won't turn over.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 03:04 PM
AJKOK1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power but the car just won't turn over.

Folks,

I have been trying to resolve this issue for a few days now, and have tried all advice given so far to no avail.

Briefly the car drove into my garage fine, spent 4 weeks untouched and consequently the battery went flat. I attached my Halfords charger and left it for 24 hours. Battery now shows fully charged and tests ok with a voltmeter.

I have lights, I have fan, I have all dash lights as expected on second click of ignition, but on full turn instead of hearing the engine try to fire up...i get silence.

I have checked and replaced the DME relay, I have disconnected battery, waited an hour and reconnected, nothing. The car does have an Autowatch alarm system that came with the car ( i guess it intergrates with the std systems as I have the red lights in the pop up locks in the doors and so on), anyway the alarm appears to Enable and diable as one would expect.

Eveyrthing seems fine, but simply nothing happens at the final turn of the ignition. I am totally out of ideas at this stage and would welcome any suggestions :-

How do I know if the starter has failed - if it had would I not expect some kind of noise ?

If it was the alarm / immobiliser that had got messed up, would i not expect to at least hear the engine turn over ?

Are there any other obvious fuses, connections I should be checking ?

The Battery was connected to the car when I charged it - could this have fused something ?

I have spent most of the weekend trying to look for an obvious cause, but I can't solve the simple dilemma, it drove into the garage fine, I haven't touched it, so "mechanically" nothing should have broken.

Anyway, I'd REALLY appreciate any words of wisdom at this point.

thanks in advance

Al.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:17 PM
robbed666
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi
As you have a Tip, you have a relay R61, start inhibit relay. Good one to check. To bypass:- link terminal 3 & 5. NOTE the car can now start in gear!!!!
I assumed you've checked the shifter is in park !!!!!! because if not that'll stop it !

P.s Neutral OK to start as well! if linking out R61 works, and relay is OK, then suspect selector switch on side of g/box or in line connector. There is one by the g/box switch (round one) open to all weathers.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:27 PM
AJKOK1
Instructor

Thanks Rob, but unfortunately my 964 is not a Tip.

I think my signature was perhaps confusing because I also have a 996 which is a Tip.

Al.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:41 PM
robbed666
Racer

Sorry Al just saw Tip in your signature .

Then you should have a metal link in R61 postion. you can connect +12 volts directly to this link to oerate the stater motor (via a suitably fused supply, check in neuteral first!). Failure of the ignition switch is not uncommon. Attached is a diagram to make things clearer
HTH
Attached Images  
Old 10-02-2005, 04:53 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Try another battery .
Old 10-02-2005, 06:40 PM
Thomas Owen
Advanced

I bet the battery is still too weak. Jump it or try another one althogether.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:58 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

I have no personal experience with this, but I've heard that the wire to the starter solenoid can come loose. I know I read that on here, might be worth a search. Good luck.
Brian
Old 10-02-2005, 08:24 PM
stuart1997
Instructor

If it was the alarm / immobiliser that had got messed up, would i not expect to at least hear the engine turn over ?
On my car if you try to start the car without disarming the immobiliser(factory fittted) you get nothing -engine does no turn over.
good luck
p.s when my battery went flat after 3 -4 weeks of the car being off the road,i had dash lights illuminate but when i turned the key to the start position they all blinked rapidly accompanied by a rapid clicking sound from the dash area but the engine did not turn over.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:09 AM
AJKOK1
Instructor

Originally Posted by stuart1997
p.s when my battery went flat after 3 -4 weeks of the car being off the road,i had dash lights illuminate but when i turned the key to the start position they all blinked rapidly accompanied by a rapid clicking sound from the dash area but the engine did not turn over.
Stuart,

Was this resolved by simply recharging the battery ? Or did you have to replace it ?

Al.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:59 AM
darth
Burning Brakes

Clean the battery terminals, the battery requires a better connection to turn the starter than any light requires to illuminate. If you don't here the starter relay click then look at the connection there or the relay itself.

Hope this helps
Bill
90C2
Old 10-03-2005, 07:48 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

I second darth's suggestion. Bad connections will power the low-current draw items, but the starter needs ~100 Amps, and must have clean, tight connections. What you describe is a common problem, and it makes sense that it happened after the car sat for a time. Corrosion in the connectors!
Old 10-03-2005, 09:47 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try one of these... This tool has saved me (and others) numerous times!

Old 10-03-2005, 10:14 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

In my case the first time it was a battery with a few bad cells... same situation you describe. Second time it was the positve cable that goes from the battery to the starter. Somehow the cable inside had broken almost all threads/wires and was held to the terminal at the starter/solenoid end by a few threads. A new terminal pressed in place resolved the problem (not after I had swapped starters thinking it had gone bad...).

Check all grounds as well... good to remove them, clean them, and install them again. Several grounds in the car.

Good luck and let us know what does the trick.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:08 PM
stuart1997
Instructor

Was this resolved by simply recharging the battery ? Or did you have to replace it ?
Yes It was resolved by recharging the battery using a really old battery charger on slow charge for about 6 hours.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:13 AM
AJKOK1
Instructor

Folks, thanks to one and all for your quick replies and constructive suggestions. I tried all I could and still got no joy, so yesterday the car went to the garage on a flat bed trailer.

They took a look and have advised the Starter motor is dead and needs replacing. Should be fixed and back on the road later today.

Al.

Quick Reply: Power but the car just won't turn over.