Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever removed Front Fenders? It's a PITA!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 03:46 PM
DerkBarrington
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Anyone ever removed Front Fenders? It's a PITA!

I have been trying to remove my front fenders for a couple of days now and it's a real PITA. Am I missing something?

Most all the bolts come of easy, but there are always a few that are almost impoossible to get to. They are located under the fender behind the aircon lines...how do you get to them? Even if you can get them out the whole fender is stuck solid due to the undercoating/caulking?..how do you free the fender..I am worried that I might damage the fender if I pull it too hard.

Has someone out there actually removed the fenders and if so how did you do it??

The reason I am removing the fenders is to have the rust addressed under the windshield. The rust was much worse then I though after I removed the windshield and will involve welding in new metal. Also there is a small amount of rust around the fender beading and I wanted to remove the fenders so the body shop could do a good job.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:21 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I seem to remember reading there may be a couple of welds holding it on.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:36 AM
DerkBarrington
Instructor

Finally got the drivers side fender off. I thought I would share what I learned to help anyone else must perform the same DIY project:

1. Remove front bumper cover, washer tank, gas filler housing. Jack up the front of the car and safely place it on a jack stand. The gas filler housing comes out much easier if you remove/lossen the filler hose from the tank...

2. lossen all the ac clamps so you can get some movement and get at some of the bolts on the door jam

3. Invest in a good wobble extension..you'll need it

4. don't forget about the spot weld on the fender wing (by the door jam). A rotary tool will cut it with no problem

5. The screws on the fender wing are T30's not hex

5. I used a sharp utility knife to cut undercoating. Take your time but you will get it free.

By the way, if you suspect rust or see any evidence of it in the area of the fender cowl, you will probably find it under the fender. I found rust that is easily repaired now but could have been a serious problem down the road. The cowl and beading trap water and I gues the area is notorious for rust.

I am starting work on the the passenger fender this weekend. Next week it's in the body shop getting new metal in the windshield well area.
The following users liked this post:
kos11-12 (04-02-2021)
Old 09-01-2005, 10:41 AM
DerkBarrington
Instructor

sorry for the spelling mistakes ... loosen not lossen
Old 09-01-2005, 01:18 PM
jdodson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Derk - After all of youir effort, do you see any way to replace the beading between the body and the fender. Mine look lilke h**l on both sides, but I have no desire to remove the fender for a small cosmetic issue. Somewhere I heard the the bolts pass through the beading and that it cannot be simply slipped oot once it is loosened. Is that correct?

Thanks, Jim
Old 09-01-2005, 01:27 PM
DerkBarrington
Instructor

I suspect you could remove and replace the beading by breaking the spot weld, loosening or removing the 2 T30 torx screws holding the little fender wing, loosening the upper most bolt in the inner fender/door jamb (it is covered with body sealant so it takes a little patience). You should be able to get enough movement to pull out the beading and put the new one in. If that doesn't work, you might have to cut into the body sealant in that seam area, which is no problem once you remove the gas filler housing (there is a write up on this in the DIY section). Hope that helps.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:36 PM
jdodson
Advanced

Thanks for the note. For some reason they are beginning to look a whole lot better to me just as they are.

Jim
Old 09-01-2005, 09:59 PM
Bates
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Derk:

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Would you please post photos of the rust near the windshield and fender. I know I can see just a little paint bubbling near my window gasket. Also, if you can bear...track your costs.

Much appreciated!

Rob
Old 09-01-2005, 10:53 PM
DerkBarrington
Instructor

I'll take some pics tonight
Old 09-01-2005, 11:25 PM
DerkBarrington
Instructor

Default pics of rust

This is my first timen posting a pic.. hope it turns out. You sould be able to see the rust along the fender cowl

Last edited by DerkBarrington; 05-18-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:34 PM
flatsixcrazy
Instructor

Thanks for sharing this procedure and am glad that you got to the rust before it got out of hands. Would you, by any chance, have a pic or two of the spot welds?. I will have to take out my fender for repaint and I cannot recognize the spot weld. Thanks for your help. Andy
Old 09-02-2005, 11:10 PM
DerkBarrington
Instructor

I got both fenders off now so unfortunately I can't take a pic. Your fender may not have a spot weld, but if you do it is at the very tip of the fender wing. Open the door and look in the door jamb right below the windshield. Hope that helps!
Old 09-03-2005, 11:36 AM
Bates
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

Maybe I shouldn't have asked for that picture.

You will be buying alot of time/life on the body by doing this work done. Good luck!
Old 06-16-2007, 01:22 PM
Muf
Advanced

Sorry top dig up this old thread.
I am in the process of replacing the fender (and I was not the one who removed it).
I would appreciate some photos of that area as I am not quite sure how the AC lines go, where was the front part of the washer tank anchored etc.
Many thanks

Quick Reply: Anyone ever removed Front Fenders? It's a PITA!