Heater Blower Motor - front/dash

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 12:55 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

Jeff,

My original part numbers are correct. I thought that was the correct item on Vertex but its obviously not. I don't have my printed Vertex catalog at the office but I seem to remember it was in there. I've sent them a request for quote for the items since I can't find the correct part on their web site either.

I've found the items on Pelican Parts but at $470.75 each.

Pelican - http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...on=96457201501
http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...on=96457201601

I'll let you know when Vertex replies to my request.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:11 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yup, I put in a request as well...man, WHY are these blower motors so damned expensive!??
Old 05-18-2005, 01:39 PM
alan911sc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I paid around $170 about 2 years ago from Sunset Porsche out in Oregon,their special is something like cost plus 15 % for the blower. Got some other goodies and used my coupon from PCNA/Porsche Club ( the coupons they don't give out any more) so it was a bargain. The dollar has really taken a beating of late which might explain some of the price increase, " Too bad it can't be produced in Bejing" then it would only be a few yen.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:04 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Vertex got back with me to say they have the left one in stock at $139 but will check on the availability/price of the right hand one...may just get BOTH and replace 'em while I'm in there!
Old 06-10-2005, 10:42 AM
gripit
Intermediate

Default Blower Motor

I need a right side blower motor. Vertex's price is way high. Does anybody have a rebuilt one or know of a place selling at a reasonalbe price?? Also, is it hard to rebuild one of these, mine just squeeks.
964.572.016.01 part number
Old 06-10-2005, 03:36 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Holy crap, I sold my car just in time!

Seriously, I priced these several years ago, in anticipation of having one fail (never did). Like Rob said, they were close to $130 back then. Shocking how much Porsche has raised prices on some parts.

Best of luck with your fan, Jeff!
Old 06-25-2005, 08:03 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Jason, I can get a deal on ANOTHER left side fan motor, but the right side they would have to order from Porsche with the "NEW" price increase of $200 or so, bringing the price over $400 - ridiculous.

What I was thinking is buy another left side fan motor and transfer the plastic mounting bracket/collar from my old one - do you think that is possible?? Do the motor run in opposite directions?? If so, I'm certain the polarity could be reversed to correct that??

I'm going "in there" this evening, have the car out of the trailer and sitting in the garage, probably going to remove the hood because I remember how annoying it is to get any work done under there with the hood on.

I have NO idea which motor is bad, hopefully it's the left one because that's the unit I purchased!

Jason, gimme your thoughts on taking the time to get the right side unit out as well (I might have to if it is truly the one that's bad) and transferring the pieces off my original unit onto a brand-new left side unit to make it work...and if the fans run in opposite directions.

I'm certain I'll know more tonight after tackling this issue!

I swear, it's a race/track car...I shouldn't give a hoot about heat/AC and I don't until the friggin' heat gets STUCK on and I'm roasted out after about 5 laps or so!

Randall, good to see you on here, the "replacement" CCU is working like a champ, so well it ate up my blower fan!!
Old 06-25-2005, 08:40 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

Since there is such a pool of CCU guru's on this thread, mind if I ask a quick question? My right front blower motor is always on - for heat or cool. Sometimes it will turn off, but it's usually ALWAYS running when on full blue, and fan on 0 on a 92. Any thoughts before I just unplug it? Thanks all
Old 06-25-2005, 11:42 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Curtis
What I was thinking is buy another left side fan motor and transfer the plastic mounting bracket/collar from my old one - do you think that is possible?? Do the motor run in opposite directions?? If so, I'm certain the polarity could be reversed to correct that??
Yes the motors spin in opposite directions so I imagine it should work if you reverse the polarity but I don't know how easy its going to be pulling the squirrel cage off the motor...

probably going to remove the hood because I remember how annoying it is to get any work done under there with the hood on.
I removed the hood the first time I worked on the HVAC but its a real PITA to put it back on and realign it by yourself. Unless your removing the entire HVAC assembly you'll have more than enough room to work with the hood inplace.

Jason, gimme your thoughts on taking the time to get the right side unit out as well (I might have to if it is truly the one that's bad) and transferring the pieces off my original unit onto a brand-new left side unit to make it work...and if the fans run in opposite directions.
If you already have the firewall & fusebox removed I say go for it. Removing the fans is easy, its everything else you have to remove to get to the fans that sucks.

Good luck!
Old 06-26-2005, 10:29 AM
964TOK
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try Sunset, I replaced both in Aug 04. I paid $130 for one & $138 for other side. No idea why they are priced differently for left & right. At the time also priced up with Paragon, they were about $150 each there.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:08 AM
gripit
Intermediate

What size are these torx screws?
Old 06-27-2005, 11:52 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

I have the generic Craftsman 3-piece torx screwdriver set that came with my mechanic's set years ago...I believe I used the smallest of the 3 during the replacement procedure, that would be T10.

BTW, I used the left side motor on the right (passenger) side with a little "modifying" of the blower housing - it wasn't pretty, but I was determined.

It works GREAT, I'll post some pics of how I got the squirrel cages off without much drama - you'll be shocked and amazed...promise!

The interesting thing was that I used the male/female leads from the factory wiring harness just as they would go on the original right-hand side blower motor and it rotated in the proper direction.

The only issue with using a left side fan in the right side housing is the stator/rotor contacts for the fan motor itself are positioned a bit differently from 2 and 8 O'clock positions to the 4 and 10 O'clock positions...so I took the very hacksaw blade that was used to pop out the old fan motor, heat it up with a torch and cut some grooves in the plastic housing - it was a scene right out of "Monster Garage" my girlfriend stated when referring to what she saw when she pulled in the driveway late Saturday night...dunno if she was talking about ME or the fact that I had a blowtorch fired up on a workbench next to my car and I was reaching over to heat the blade back up to do more cutting...the plastic left on it each time would light up bright orange and drip on the floor...sinister, I tell ya, but it works and looks good!

So, the point of going through all of that to get a left side motor to fit in the right side housing?? - about $300!!
Old 06-27-2005, 04:58 PM
gripit
Intermediate

Can't wait to see your pics!
Old 07-01-2005, 12:18 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

I owe you guys some pics! ...just remembered, I'll post over the weekend, some of the pics will make viewing worthwhile, had to get "medieval" during this DIY.
Old 07-01-2005, 03:07 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

So what was the trick for pulling the squirrel cage off the motor (a tiny puller)? oh ya, please take a photo of your homemade P-9512 blower motor puller!

Quick Reply: Heater Blower Motor - front/dash