1994 Speedster Widebody?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 12:31 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Wow, Thanks!! That is one sexy beast! Almost looks like my car 'cept for the windhield and rear hump.
Glad you enjoyed the photos!!!
I would love to be able to mount a speedster windshield. I hear it involves welding attachment points?? anyone know?
Regarding windshield & attachment points: related photos from the 993 Forum's "Speedster type 993 photo thread"...
Originally Posted by curve lover

I've consistently heard that inclusive factory 911 Speedster gear costs $20,000 USD if you can find it.

I once contacted a FL eBayer who had a windshield with antenna, frame mounting points, humps & cable from a 1994. He had already sold 'em to a customer in Germany for $10k USD.

Mounting points:

Related photos of Speedster dash & windshield from RLer Obersturm (& apparently LA Dismantlers):

Old 06-20-2010, 12:32 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by The Flying Dutchman
There have been different topics about the speedster parts(including the windshield, doors, glass, hump, mounting hardware for under the hump) on rennlist and pelican. I am following these threads since I hope to build/let one build for me another day in the future.

LA Porsche Dismantlers sometimes have these windshields and other speedster parts

Otherwise try to search these parts regularly on Ebay and other sites.

I seem to remember that the total of parts, excluding working costs for mechanics, was about 15000 US dollars (someone calculated that).
Regarding conversion parts & costs: there's more discussion, diagrams, (& motivating photos ) on the 993 Forum's "Speedster type 993 photo thread." For reference:
- Post #41 totals up the new Strosek-style parts that Extreme Motorcars advertises for ~$15k USD.
- Post #117 starts with that list, but prices new OEM Porsche factory parts: >$30k USD.
In general, the above estimates are just for new basic/required parts for a narrow-body Speedster from a 993 cab. Neither includes fabrication & labor costs, wide-body parts, OEM Speedster seats, etc.
I seem to remember that the total of parts, excluding working costs for mechanics, was about 15000 US dollars (someone calculated that). But this was using Speedster doors I think. You could also adjust your regular 964 doors (right?).

I wouldn't mind mine (if I will ever own one) if it would be original or not. As long as it is very well build and looks original or beautifully adjusted (like the black one from Japan).
964 doors can be modified, but some see it as approximately the same expense as installing Speedster doors, due to cost of adding / fabricating things like: frameless windows, different opening at top of door to accomodate aggressively curved Speedster windows, different glass panes, different regulators & related welding inside doors, etc...
Old 06-20-2010, 01:06 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

You could also adjust your regular 964 doors (right?).
Much more information in this Pelican Parts thread, started in 2008: "WTB: Porsche 911 Speedster Windshield Frame + doors." It was started in '08, & continues with posts as recently as this month. Good info on dash differences, doors, & more.

You'll see posts by RLers obersturm (Martin) & JPP (Jon Paul) + others there, too.

One excerpt:
Originally Posted by Sonjay
I can make your cab doors Speedster doors I made four Speedster for customers and I have one on the way down from Stow Ma (BoxsterGT) has a car we are doing. I'm in Winter Park Fl the cost will be $500.00 per door I'll need the glass, window reg, window rubber inside and out it will take two week and it will come back to you in primer ready to have your painter finish the painting to your color.

since you have done the conversion, would you mind sharing some pictures of the build process and whats involved, please?

How do you get the window frame cut down and the Speedster frame installed?

I hear the Speedster Windscreen can be detached for Motorsport activities by unbolting just two bolts?

How is the dash diffrent from the standart Cabriolet?

Thanks and ebst regards
Martin
I had pictures in a album and they got wet and that was the end of that. I will be taking pictures of this next two builds. As for the window frame it need to be cut off about two inches from the door level then split and layed down and welded. It's very easy to do if you have all the right tools. When you lay the metal down close the door and leave a 5 MM gap from what you layed down and welded and the closed door, and it must be flat. To install the Speedster frame will take two people. The hole to mount the frame well need to be cut with a hole saw from the under side of the door mount area. Put tape on the cowl and the frame were the hole are so you can mark where the holes are on the window frame, then get a wooden rod 2" log and put four of them in the hole on the frame line up the marks take the frame off and put paint on the end of the wooden rods and set it down again this will tell you were you need to use the 1" hole saw. You'll need some 1"OD pipe. Use the saw and cut down at the same angle as the wooden rod thru the dash and down, you may need a long drill rod when you get the first hole cut to reach the lower area. All cutting done set the frame back on the car if everything is right it's time to weld the 1" pipe in the hole. The bolt hole on the frame have a slight angle to them so you'll a washer with the same angle (hit the center of the washer with a hammer to shape it) Weld the washer angel down to the top of the 1" pipe, make the pipe as long as you need for it to hang down thru the holes that you've just cut. Put the frame back on the car again and have the person helping you hold the frame in place so you can put all four pipes in the holes and do a trill fit (make sure that the frames center tab is in place (small piece of metal in the center of the under side of the frame) this center parts on the frame works as a weg to hold the frame down when you tighen the bolts. Is well take a while I'll try to get some pictures to you that well help. Give me you Email address so I can send them you. Good luck

gary
One more thing , do you have the clam shell? And the dash is different at the very ends where the bolt holes are.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:33 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

What happened with those pics of the beautiful black wide body speedster?
Another you may enjoy. From the above-referenced Pelican Parts forum thread, "WTB: Porsche 911 Speedster Windshield Frame + doors."

FS in France:
Porsche 911 "G" Speedster Turbo Look; original manufacture date 3/1990; VIN WPOZZZ91ZKS152723; 3.2L configuration 3.6L RS. No affiliation.
Originally Posted by juicersr
Old 06-20-2010, 03:29 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice!

That Auto Sports speedster, does it look like its lowered to RS height? Seems lower than RS height to me. What do you guys think??

On the yellow mounting metal parts, is that the whole dash? Looks like this metal dash can be unbolted and swapped with the dash insitu. I didn't know these were bolted items, thought they were welded. Did I get this right??
Old 01-25-2011, 04:04 AM
obersturm
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there,

The windscreen and and frame are bolted on and can easily be removed (I was told the 1989 Speedsters had a special tool for that in the factory tool kit)
The yellow metal bits under the windscreen are welded and were probably removed by
drilling out spot welds and some handy work with an angle grinder I would imagine.
Best regards
Marty
Old 03-20-2011, 03:55 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

FS in France:
Porsche 911 "G" Speedster Turbo Look; original manufacture date 3/1990; VIN WPOZZZ91ZKS152723; 3.2L configuration 3.6L RS. No affiliation.
Advertised here, with higher mileage & higher asking price:
Auto-occasion.fr's "Porsche 911 speedster turbo look" (no affiliation)...

Old 03-20-2011, 07:53 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by obersturm
Hi there,

The windscreen and and frame are bolted on and can easily be removed (I was told the 1989 Speedsters had a special tool for that in the factory tool kit)
The yellow metal bits under the windscreen are welded and were probably removed by
drilling out spot welds and some handy work with an angle grinder I would imagine.
Best regards
Marty
You're dead right Marty, there is a lot of fabrication required to correctly install the Speedster screen panels into a cabrio (or coupe for that matter). We've got another 993 Speedster build planned during which we intend to photo document the complete conversion process (more on this later) but in the meantime you can see what is involved from Graham's Speedster build. The thread shows the dash top being replaced on page 7:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-detail-7.html
Old 03-20-2011, 12:06 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by America
Thank for the info. I have also asked my local Porsche Dealer. One sales person that have been there for 15 years swears that two were sold by his dealership. He is the one that told me about the M code. He did not know the actual code. He is only person that saids they exist, so you might be right. Thank you!
The Carrera 2 Speedster was factory internal option M503 on a Cabriolet chassis, that's how Porsche kept track of Speedster production on the books and on their build schedules. As quoted from the Porsche 911 Red Book Second Edition (Patrick Paternie) "A run of 3000 was planned but only 936 were built."

Over the years, I've personally seen a few "Special Wishes" program and following that, Porsche Exclusive built limited production models built and sold through U.S. Dealerships as factory 'new' cars. Also, in the past when the factory could not or would not build cars that dealerships had orders for, Porsche would 'sanction' the dealers to take standard delivery cars and modify them to customers be-spoke orders such as Vasek Polak's early lightweight S/T 911's and 914-6GT's that were manufactured from factory supplied 'kits' that could be purchased and 'installed' by certain qualified dealers. My 1998 Cabriolet was special ordered in a run of 5 cars by Beverly Hills Porsche through Porsche Exclusive and sold 'as new' with all of the Porsche factory warranties in place despite the fact that the cars were delivered to the dealership as narrow body Cabriolets and then 'converted' by BHP into Turbo Bodied cars using 'kits' supplied by the factory. Unfortunately, in many cases, there are no special option numbers or designations on the cars or paperwork that ties them to their end state or describes the modifications that were sanctioned by the factory, just the cars themselves and the often faded memories of the people who witnessed their creation.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:54 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JPP

My 1998 Cabriolet was special ordered in a run of 5 cars by Beverly Hills Porsche through Porsche Exclusive and sold 'as new' with all of the Porsche factory warranties in place despite the fact that the cars were delivered to the dealership as narrow body Cabriolets and then 'converted' by BHP into Turbo Bodied cars using 'kits' supplied by the factory.

Unfortunately, in many cases, there are no special option numbers or designations on the cars or paperwork that ties them to their end state or describes the modifications that were sanctioned by the factory, just the cars themselves and the often faded memories of the people who witnessed their creation.
JPP-- Sometimes a reputable publication like Excellence swoops in as a superhero, documenting what the factory didn't

BTW ... luv your avatar!!!
Old 03-22-2011, 02:45 AM
schmidtwerk
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rbauhart
Just out of curiosity, what do 964 speedsters usually go for these days? I drive an RS America and they are obviously worth a little more than a C2.

How many Speedsters were originally made?

Roland
Excellent low mile Speedsters (less than 20K miles) are north of $80 for perfect cars. Nearly 80% of the production is red, other colors demand a 20-25% premium over the red, not so much for black but for silver, white, or a bespoken blue example. With 409 North American cars and dozens wrecked or exported the pickings are getting slim with great cars being sold word of mouth. I just bought 2 that never hit the market and had to fight for them. Again color plays a role in price with about 50 black cars, 35 white, half a dozen in yellow and silver and a hand full of paint to sample cars, the remaining are ALL RED cars. So the short answer is, the Speedster in some cased is twice the market value of a similar RSA particulary in silver, white, blue, or yellow.

Last edited by schmidtwerk; 03-22-2011 at 05:45 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:56 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by schmidtwerk

I just bought 2 that never hit the market and had to fight for them.
Jeff-- Good to see you're also into Speedsters!

How does Sir Mix like his 'new' ride? ...A Lot?

This his?
Originally Posted by schmidtwerk

"his and hers"

Old 03-24-2011, 01:39 AM
Group911@aol.com
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
The Carrera 2 Speedster was factory internal option M503 on a Cabriolet chassis, that's how Porsche kept track of Speedster production on the books and on their build schedules. As quoted from the Porsche 911 Red Book Second Edition (Patrick Paternie) "A run of 3000 was planned but only 936 were built."

Would the "M503" show up on the options tag?
Old 03-24-2011, 03:41 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Group911@aol.com
Would the "M503" show up on the options tag?
Not to my knowledge. I've been told that designator was only used internally at Porsche to keep track of Speedster production and parts flow.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:57 PM
Group911@aol.com
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
Not to my knowledge. I've been told that designator was only used internally at Porsche to keep track of Speedster production and parts flow.
That explains why it isn't on my tags.
Thanks,
Bob

Quick Reply: 1994 Speedster Widebody?