Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel gauge flashing and not working, FIXED IT

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 04:06 AM
klr10
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You would need to use a capacitance meter to test the sensor. Having said that, I have no idea what the full and empty capacitance readings should be. I'd be surprised if the sensor is at fault unless you can see physical damage to the copper. How does it connect to the car? Is there any electronics on the sensor itself or does it plug into some small controller?
Old 11-16-2015, 09:17 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

the sensor seems to have electronics securely fitted in the top of the unit as the plug that fits on top - haven't worked out a 'non-invasive' method of un-sealing but likely could drill little holes around the top or use a dremel to open it up.

per the TSB part A Andreas posted above I do need to drill another breather hole to ensure the "full" reading works correctly .. but currently I'm getting no reading on the gauge when installed in the car. The little connector block that clis onto the 4 terminals shown below seems just to be wiring to the guage, another reason I believe the brain is inside the top of the tub assembly.

Can i use the setting shown with the XX to measure capacitance? That is what I used to get the readings I show but not sure of the units (ie farrads etc..) and those readings dont seem to change when I submerge the copper ribbon.

Last edited by HiWind; 11-16-2015 at 11:13 AM.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:25 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

thankfully Sunset Parts have the part I need although NLA from OPC

so no need to replace with the new expensive version 002 which replaced my 001 and has the control unit externally which is the $700 part ...

ordered - my first order from Sunset but I've heard generally good things on the GT3 forums so hopefully it all works out!

ps - now that I know I can get the part I've broken into my old sealed unit and found a weak solder which was between one of the 4 points on the ribbon and the wiring to the computer in the other part of the tube.

Why in hell would you need this inside a fuel sender unit anyway!?

Quick Reply: fuel gauge flashing and not working, FIXED IT