Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

did I meet my match? Front strut spring retaining nut... won't budge!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 11:41 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts
Question did I meet my match? Front strut spring retaining nut... won't budge!

I have tried all kinds of vice-grip variations on the shock shaft, and just can't get the darn things off my front struts. Rears - no problem; they're done already, but the front's have that darned recessed nut that I can't grip with a combination wrench. I do not have an impact wrench - but tried the home-made method with a hammer and a wrench! No Go!!!

Anyone have suggestions, or do I break down and head to a shop to have them undo it? Arrggh!!!

Do I need the special 22mm socket that lets me use a 7mm nut through the top that only Porsche dealers carry? Or does NAPA have something like this? I bet that's an expensive tool I'll never use again!!! Or will I??
Attached Images  
Old 11-09-2004, 04:28 AM
ChrisD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven,t embarked on replacing my suspension yet, but I know that the Hazert Socket is about $40 from the supplier over here in the UK. Quite a lot for a one time tool.

Hopefully someone else has an idea from their own experiences.

Regards
Old 11-09-2004, 04:45 AM
DaveGordon
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi,

If you're just chucking the shocks afterwards, just use an angle grinder to grind a couple of flats on the shaft so you can grip it with a spanner - worked for me several times in the past.

(Not too good if you want to use the shocks again, though )
Dave.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:07 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Garrett:

I recall using a set of vice grips around the shock absorber shaft. I hated getting on the chrome plate, but I was replacing the shocks anyway. The chrome is very hard and did not take a mark, and regardless, you have room outboard of what can travel past the top seal.

Good luck
Old 11-09-2004, 09:07 AM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree with Dave, but when I did mine a couple of months ago, I found 2 workable methods:

1. Use an impact wrench on the nut. Don't worry about the shock flying out, just loosen the nut while the car is on the ground. Then, before lifting, assure that the nut is on the threads and hand tightened a few turns.

2. Get a 22mm (?) socket and a 7mm Hex wrench. Flatten 2 sides of the socket in order to get a good grip with a vice grip. Insert the Hex through the top of the socket, hold on to the Hex and loosen. This will also be invaluable in tightening the new shock. The only drawback is that you don't have the ability to torque the nut to the proper setting.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:01 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the input guys, as usual!

Today I am going to head to Sears and get a deep 22 and 19mm (new one is only 19mm) and see if I can either fabricate that Hazet tool by grinding out one side of the socket (hopefully won't weaken it too much!) or do as Lou says in method 2 by grinding the sides so I can grab it with a wrench. Good thinking!!! That's why I love RennList!

Springer - I tried the vise grip on a section as far aware from the shock as possible... it kept spinning, though! I even tried two vise grips! Whew - my hands are sore from cruching those things on there last night!

Good ideas, guys! Thank you. I'll keep ya' posted!
Old 11-09-2004, 11:27 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Garrett:

While you are at Sears, shop for an impact wrench. That is what I used, and the shock tower nut was a non-event (off in seconds). The 1/2 inch drive electric ones are pretty good now, and the air-powered ones are unbelievably cheap and work fine. You could spend an hour grinding a custom socket, only to have it break when the serious work starts. I bought my 1/2" impact wrench 20 years ago, and it has gotten me out of a lot of jams, and I am sure avoided a few as well..
Old 11-10-2004, 11:33 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Talking verdict is in - the right tool WAS needed for the job!

Went to Sears last night and got a nice deep 22mm socket and some 7mm wrenches. After about 15 minutes with the grinder, and a spectacular light show from all the sparks, I created my own special tool! Once I used the tool - no problem!!! Got those suckers off and now I am on to the next project! Excellent!!!

Here are some pics of the tool in action!
Attached Images    
Old 11-10-2004, 12:11 PM
ChrisD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent job. Might look into doing the same when I get around to replacing my shocks etc, cheaper than forking out for a Hazert socket!

BTW what suspension combo are you putting in?

Regards
Old 11-10-2004, 09:24 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not sure if the nut is the same size as on a 993, but a 13/16ths spark plug socket worked wonders. Spark plug sockets are nice in that a) they have a hole through them that you can pass the hex wrench through and b) they have a hex area (6 flat sides) on the bottom that you can grip with a crescent or other wrench. Much cheaper than a Hazet tool and less work than grinding your own!

Last edited by TroyN; 11-13-2004 at 07:08 PM.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:11 AM
rennmax
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did my front struts today and fitted Bilsteins, and for the life of me I couldn't undo the top nut, I drilled out a 22mm tube socket so I could fit a 3/8 drive extension through it with a 7mm hex drive fitted to it and I ground a couple of flats on the side of the 22mm so I could hold it with some vice grips.
Well I ended up stripping out the hex end on the shock and couldn't budge the nut and had to drill it out and ruining the old shock in the process.
I think someone has tighten the top nut with a impact wrench making it impossible to undo.
Anyway, thought I would share.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:53 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey Garrett, Do you have a pic of the nut.
Mine doesn't look at all like that and I'm wondering if I should get the right nuts....
thanks
Dwane

Quick Reply: did I meet my match? Front strut spring retaining nut... won't budge!