Battery sizes and cabriolets

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 09:06 AM
Bluey964
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Battery sizes and cabriolets

Hi all,

Thought I would post a quick message about the battery size for cabriolets - I know in the past there has been talk that 88Ah batteries should be used on cabs due to the power hoods, but be careful!

I have just had the battery go on my 90 C4 cab, and bought a Bosch silver 88Ah to replace the old quikfit 66Ah battery that was in there. However, the new Bosch silver battery is too big - it is too long to fit in the space.

When looking at the PET cd it specifies a 75Ah for all models apart from the RS, which has a smaller 36Ah battery. So back to the drawing board and off to replace the battery with a smaller one - anyone know what the maximum size Bosch silver that will fit in a C4 due to the pump at the front? (I know you can get 66, 70, 72 and 85Ah capacities in it)

i.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:59 AM
gilessav
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've got a 74Ah Varta battery in my C4 coupe, wanted the 88 Bosch but you are quite correct its too big. Same was true of an 88Ah Varta so i think the 72/74Ah Bosch is the biggest you'll get, certainly in the UK.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:30 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

The biggest battery I could find was 80A/hr. I manufacturer called Banner. Bosch were 72A/hr silver plus. Could not find a larger one for love nor money.

Mine has gone three weeks without charging/use and fired first time home. Calcium filled, sealed for life, 4 posted battery, all for £58

Kevin
Old 10-06-2004, 01:11 PM
jesse@emarketeers.com
Track Day

This is a good site that has all the batteries you could ever want

http://www.bardenbatteries.co.uk/

I was lookinbg at one of these: http://www.bardenbatteries.co.uk/optima.html
Old 10-06-2004, 01:39 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I have the Optima Red Top. Fits nicely.
Old 10-06-2004, 04:14 PM
emilios
Burning Brakes

Kevin,

I recently bought a brand-new Porsche-branded 70Ah battery and all sorts of weird electrical gremlins appeared - turned out that not only was the battery's capacity low (for my car) but one cell was also defective. So, I bought and installed an 80Ah Banner (which I believe is the largest capacity for the given battery space/size) and all electrical gremlins have since disappeared. Very happy indeed with it so far.
Old 10-06-2004, 04:50 PM
Bluey964
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the end replaced it with the 72Ah Bosch silver which fits fine - now all I have to do over the winter is to trace down the current drain that causes the battery to drain in the first place!

Also, whilst I was at it I replaced the ground cable as a preventative measure (only about £6). Interestingly the original one was unshielded braided thick copper wire, the new one is a thick length of plastic shielded cable. This way at least it prevents shorting out the terminals if you drop spanners when installing the battery! ;-)

Quick Reply: Battery sizes and cabriolets