Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator shaft end stripped!!! What can I do???

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 11:05 PM
ckkrause
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Alternator shaft end stripped!!! What can I do???

So I went to change the alternator belt for the first time as it just started slipping. When I inserted the "star" tool in the end of the shaft to hold it, to be able to remove the nut, I found the inside end of the shaft was stripped!!!!!! Does any one know how to get the not off now and is there an alternative to replacing a perfectly good alternator? Help!!!!

-CKKrause
Old 01-30-2004, 02:59 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

http://p-car.com/diy/alternator/

Check out that link - it might help! I think it will get messy trying to weld inside your engine compartment, so you'd probably want to remove the alternator first. You ought to be able to do this with the belts all attached... haven't done it but assume it's possible.

Or, you can try a pair of vise grips, or use a dremel tool to cut a slot in the shaft to place a screwdriver into it. That's another option....
Old 01-30-2004, 05:23 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

To be quite honest this is a tough one. The engine fan is on the same shaft and it is going to be very difficult to get anything out with the nut still attached. You may end up doing far more damage.
My advice is to cut the nut off. If you do not have the tools and expertise for this kind of job it may be worth paying somebody who does.
I do not recommend you get a welder anywhere near the engine. I would hate you to end up with no eyebrows and watching your car disappear into a molten mess.
A small angle grinder should do the trick. Disassemble as much as possible and you will have to cut the belts off.
Thinking about it, it might be worth cutting the belts off, disassembling the fan shroud and see if you can get to the shroud mountings and take the whole assembly off shroud included. I do not think you can get to all the mounting screws but it might be worth seeing if you can.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 01-30-2004, 11:34 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

Adrian has a great idea - to cut that nut off! Nice guy, and a smart guy!

That would probably be your least destructive and cheapest way to get the nut off. That nut could not be too expensive - just don't hurt the treads on the shaft since then you've got another problem (unless you're replacing the whole thing).
Old 01-30-2004, 02:36 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Just make sure you get the right nut, not the left and or the right one
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4

PS: Aussie style joke I hope you all get it. If not lectures will be held later to explain.
Old 01-30-2004, 02:41 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by garrett376
That would probably be your least destructive and cheapest way to get the nut off. That nut could not be too expensive - just don't hurt the treads on the shaft since then you've got another problem (unless you're replacing the whole thing).
I'd probably start with a Dremel tool and then work my way up to a metal chisel, followed by an air chisel.

New alternators aren't too expensive, so if you damage the threads it's not too bad. You probably needed to change the alternator anyways.. Yeah, yeah, that's it...
Old 01-30-2004, 02:57 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

You can remove the alternator from the car with the pulleys intact, however the belts wil have to be cut. Then the shroud band must be disconnected, some plug wires disconnected from the dist. Tilt the shroud/alternator back and gain access to the fwd. end of the alt. Remove impeller housing and disconnect electrical leads ( batt disconnected up to this point) Remove shroud/alt assembly and now you should be able to hold shaft from front end at impeller.

Come to think of it, don't cut belts and just proceed with alt. removal and you might get enough slack in belts to remove them! The fan shroud/alt is held in place by the strap across the top. All the other attachments are for the plug wire guides.

Later, Kevin
Old 01-30-2004, 10:04 PM
ckkrause
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

Thanks for your ideas!! By the way I am left nutted....oh...I mean left handed... I don't car about the belts themselves as I have new ones. I wonder, if I clamp the belt, do you think I can get enough grip to remove the nut? Anyway, if that doesn't work, I will get the Christmas Dremel out and go to work!!

Also, I've used the P-car site before and never noticed their solution to this problem. I'm going to stop by the machine shop tomorrow and see if the allen bolt head solution is feasible....

Thanks again!

-CKKrause
Old 01-30-2004, 11:09 PM
Syd B.
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 339 Posts

ckkrause, if all else fails, you could always drive your car up to Canada and just freeze your nuts off.
Old 01-31-2004, 03:46 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Thanks Syd I needed that
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 01-31-2004, 05:32 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Is it possible to get a nut splitter on the nut? I prefer using these tools as the mess a dremel creates causes me concern....

Kevin.

P.S. they look like G clamps.......but with a pair of chisled ends.
Old 01-31-2004, 07:31 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Before any cutting, try an impact wrench. It will help if you pry the belts tight. I had a similar bind on a shock bolt, and the impact wrench was a magic bullet.

Good luck

Quick Reply: Alternator shaft end stripped!!! What can I do???