RS carpet installation

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 11:29 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

ThomasC2 sent me these photos back in Jan and I simply forgot to follow up on uploading them to this thread... sorry Thomas

Here you go (comments/instructions by ThomasC2):

Pic of every piece of the carpet set. Just do it in the same order and you’ll be fine.

Start on the tunnel with the big piece. It’s easier if you cut in half instead of trying to fold it over the tunnel.

On the tunnel I also used a 10 mm padding to narrow the gap between the centre console and the carpet, see pic 18.

The stock padding is so thick here so it will give you a big gap if you don’t do something.

Always match the part you want to glue with the following one so you are sure there is an over lap, in some places it is a bit tight.

In the corners you can cut slots in the carpet to bend it and you can also stretch it slightly.

I used the spray glue from 3M (think the part no is 8080) on most parts. It doesn’t stick at once so you can move around the parts if you need to.

In some corners or on smaller parts I used a stronger “contact glue”.

In the rear shelf you also have to use a thicker padding to even it out, but you’ll see where. Another tip is also to use a piece of 10 mm padding on the rear wheel housings. The carpet pieces here has a seam and this will fold more nicely if you use some padding beneath it.

The vinyl strips on some pieces are meant to be glued and folded backwards.

If you to a miss somewhere, the carpet don’t cover something etc, the carpet is pretty forgiving. Just cut a piece and glue it in there to cover the hole. It will look alright.

So follow the pics, take your time and think twice….and you’ll be just fine!

Old 04-01-2009, 11:30 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

More:

The folks of the 964 forum in Rennlist are great or what!? Thank you again ThomasC2 for the write up and photos. And apologies it took sooooooo long to update with what you sent me back in January.

Quick Reply: RS carpet installation