Notices

Intake Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 12:16 AM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

As I said, this took me about 4 hours to complete. Having been out in the car again today I can honestly say this is the best time I've spent on the car yet. There is no question that this has improved the driveability and performance of the car. I've been flirting with hesitation problems. Nothing serious. Not consistent. But surely there. Especially when cold and around low rpm's: 1500-3000. The car would sort of grumble and stumble a bit. Not bad enough for a real worry, but definitely a nuscience and an often reminder that something just wasn't quite right. I put "replace all vacuum lines" on my long list of things to do.

After cleaning the intake, it's running smooth as silk. It shifts cleaner and idles stronger. Coasting in gear seems rock solid where before I would feel a bit of back lash from engine braking to throttle on.

I'm not saying this will grow hair on your head, but for zero dollars and a few hours work I'd put this before chips and mufflers and drilled air boxes, for sure.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:01 AM
Chad T
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice write up! Can't wait to get some free time to do this and perhaps clean up some other things in there. Great pics.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:21 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Is it normal to have all that oil in the intake or does that mean the oil was overfilled at some point?

c
The following users liked this post:
nabfa1 (12-30-2023)
Old 06-18-2006, 08:49 AM
dfinnegan
Drifting

I don't think that oil in the intake is normal. I think it means an overfill.

My oil has been overfilled twice in the past year. Once by a shop. I believe they put in at least a quart too much. The gauge was pegged at the top without being very hot and the car ran like ****e! I cleaned the ISV and AFM and realized an improvement, but the car has not run quite right since. Until now!

The second time was very recently. I overfilled it by a bit less than half a quart. I was topping up and wasn't quite paying attention and poured in too much. The gauge went high when hot. Not to the top, but too high for my liking. I syphoned off about 0.4 qt and got it back to normal. The gauge is now above the red, and goes to about mid way when nice and hot. I don't think this was the cause of all of the oil, but it may have contributed.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 06-18-2006, 11:19 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Dave -

What air cleaner element are you running? My race shop swears by the OEM filter, says that K&N will let grit by into the throttle bodies, sees it every time he dissasembles one. K&N filter in there by chance?
Old 06-18-2006, 12:16 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Yup, K&N!!

Turns out I have an OEM on the shelf. Guess what my next p-car task is!

Thanks,
Dave
The following users liked this post:
nabfa1 (12-30-2023)

Quick Reply: Intake Cleaning