Notices

The rebuild begins ...

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 12:47 AM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts
Default The rebuild begins ...

Today began the DIY rebuild of my 1991 C2 engine. As some may recall this project was made necessary upon finding a large amount of bearing metal in my oil filter.

I am going to keep written and visual records of the process, as this is my first engine rebuild since I rebuilt the 4 cylinder in my peugeot 504 back in the late 70's.

Should I post progress as I go, post a large DIY when I'm done, or just make info available to people upon request?

1st set of pics, preparing to remove engine per Adrian's book. Better quality photos when the wife gets back from Hawaii, these are from my phone.
Attached Images   
Old 09-24-2005, 02:54 AM
carmelo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuild

Post as you go please!
Old 09-24-2005, 03:27 AM
Bill Wagner
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Out of curiousity, how many metal shavings were in the filter. Also, when you changed the oil, how many were on the magnetic drain plug?

Old 09-24-2005, 05:15 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You'll probably want to get a better engine stand that the one in the picture. The flat-6 is very wide and a stand with two front feet works better as you rotate the engine over. The single front wheel stand may tend to want to fall over. Also, the P201 engine yoke is invaluable.
Old 09-24-2005, 10:32 AM
sundog
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bill Wagner
Out of curiousity, how many metal shavings were in the filter. Also, when you changed the oil, how many were on the magnetic drain plug?
When my tech opened the filter as I requested, there were about a sugar packet's worth of small metal shavings in the filter. I drove the car home, and will check the plug today or tomorrow.
Old 09-24-2005, 10:38 AM
sundog
Race Director

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
You'll probably want to get a better engine stand that the one in the picture. The flat-6 is very wide and a stand with two front feet works better as you rotate the engine over. The single front wheel stand may tend to want to fall over. Also, the P201 engine yoke is invaluable.
Thanks for the advice, the stand seems like it's a little unstable. I have bought an engine stand adapter ring to use with a standard engine stand. It can be found at, LINK . Of course no affiliation.
Old 09-24-2005, 01:59 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Please do post the pictures as you go, in this thread, that way we can send it off to the DIY forum when you get done!
Brian
Old 09-29-2005, 04:20 PM
sundog
Race Director

Today the engine came out. Not too difficult, just a lot of little connectors and hard to get to bolts.

It looks like there's no way all of that fits into that little car!

Note the bypass pipe.
Attached Images    
Old 09-29-2005, 10:48 PM
dkeen
Addict
Rennlist Member

About how long did it take you to disconnect everything and get the engine out?
Old 09-29-2005, 10:49 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes, please post as you go.

Wow - that is a huge engine in that itty-bitty little space, isn' it?

Marc
Old 09-30-2005, 12:24 AM
sundog
Race Director

Originally Posted by dkeen
About how long did it take you to disconnect everything and get the engine out?
I did it in about 7 hours, over 3 nights. One night to jack up the car and get it on jackstands, lots of repositioning of the jack stands, and reading posts to get it right (2 hours). The second night, with my daughter to disconnect everything in the engine bay (3 hours). And today disconnect everything under the car, and drop the engine (2 hours).

There were a number of trips to the store to get the appropriate tools for the job, hex sockets, impact wrench, larger oil pan, towels (lots of towels). Additional time standing reading Adrians book (excellent reference), and the porsche workshop manual, trying to figure out what the **** they were talking about . Oh, yea, and having to adjust the height of the rear of the car to actually get that engine out, drop the front off the jackstands, and lift the rear 2" more, that took an hour.

I also spent a lot of time in cleaning things to get access to parts, lots of oil leaks and grime.
Old 09-30-2005, 02:13 AM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Man, I'm so jealous. That looks like fun.
Brian
Old 09-30-2005, 04:38 AM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Wow. This is gonna be a good thread. Keep up the posting and pics.

Also, if you dont mind me asking... at what mileage is the motor?
Old 09-30-2005, 10:02 AM
dkeen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Sundog,

I have been toying with the idea of dropping the engine in my 964 for about a year now. But it always seemed like such a daunting task, that I have not followed through.

Now if you don't mind, I'd like to pass several questions by you since it is all so fresh on your mind that have been bugging me about it.

Do you think someone with good mechanical skills and persistence (but little experience with major work like this) can do this? Half of me (the scared half) says take it to the shop. The other half loves the challenge.

Also, I have a jack and stands. From reading Adrian's book it sounds like I should be able to balance the engine on the jack. Did you find this difficult? I noticed you bought the adaptors for the jack to help with balance, but it really seems precarious and seems like an engine stand is needed.

Do you need to put the front of the car on stands (considering you had to take it off the front stands to get the engine out)?

How high does the rear of the car need to be to get the engine out? Were the jack stands at top height enough?

Did you end up supporting the car with the rear jack stands where Adrian suggests in his book?

Where did you get your copy of the Workshop Manual and did it really help? (all I can find are CD versions and hard copies that cost $800).

Can you please list the "special" tools that you needed to complete the job? I have metric sockets, etc. Just want to know if there are any big ticket items I need to consider before embarking on this journey.

What potential pitfalls did you encounter, or what should I be wary of?

Once the engine was out, how do you move it around? If its still on the jack, how will you now work on it?

Good job and please keep us posted.

Dave
Old 09-30-2005, 10:36 AM
greenjt
Racer

Hey Dave... Let me know if you go forward with this. I'd be interested in lending a hand for the experience.

I'm in Wakefield - in what part of town are you?

Quick Reply: The rebuild begins ...