Notices

Okay, you asked for it--Momo wheel installation made easy!

Old 03-22-2004, 11:50 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Okay, you asked for it--Momo wheel installation made easy!

Here you go Doug and Erick. I'm working from memory and notes but I believe these instructions will get you most of the way home. Let's start with a few disclaimers:

- Disabling the airbag is not recommended by the manufacturer
- The Momo adapter hub #7004 is not a perfect fit with the stock column collar. You must modify the hub collars to complete this installation (see below).
- Disconnecting the airbag may activate the warning lights and require a trip to your nearest Porsche dealership to reset (usually a five minute job with the Bosch Hammer).

If still interested, keep reading.

Parts & tools required:

- Momo wheel
- Momo hub adapter 7004
- Porsche airbag tester 000.721.951.60 (not 9516/1)
- Porsche horn contact 964.652.104.00
- Male and female wiring contacts. The spade type often used to connect audio speakers.
- Torque wrench
- Torx T30 screwdriver socket
- ½” rachet driver with 5” socket extension
- 24mm socket (15/16" might be a better fit if you can find one)
- Phillips head screwdriver

Step 1. To begin, disconnect the battery ground and wait at least 20 minutes before attempting this installation to prevent accidental airbag ignition.

Step 2. Loosen the two screws located at 9 and 3 o'clock on the back side of the steering wheel using the T30 socket. These screw hold the bag on to the wheel and once loosened, will allow you to "lift" the airbag right off the wheel. It will be connected by a wire from the column which you can easily unplug.

Step 3. To get the wheel off the column, I used a 24mm socket BUT it was a little loose--it works, but it's not a precise fit. Loosen the bolt, remove the accompanying washer, unplug the horn contact wire and remove the wheel from the steering post.

Note: You will want to mark the top dead center location (TDC) of the steering post to facilitate installation of the new wheel.

Step 4. The column collar requires the removal of 6 phillips head screws, four on the face and two on the sides. It's tricky getting the bottom half off the column, especially if you have a cruise control stalk, so be gentle as you ease it off.

Step 5. The final piece to remove is the horn contact plate. It's a circular piece made of plastic and a flat copper ring. Basically, it allows you to turn the wheel without tangling or unplugging the wires in the hub. It's two more screws.

Step 6. Now, gently pull the wiring attached to the contact plate out from the dash. The horn and airbag wiring is sheathed in a rubber tube. Sliding it up will reveal the two plugs connected to the contact plate which you can disconnect to keep the plate intact. You will need to clip the airbag wire on the front of the plate to attach the 9516 tester.

Step 7. Now you need to install the Factory horn contact 964.652.104.00 to the stalk assembly. Do you see the curved metallic part surrounding the center? That piece passes current and makes contact with the metallic bottom of the Momo hub; without this contact, the horn will not work.

Courtesy of Dave Gordon:

Note: The 7004 hub is the correct part but the diameter is actually just a little big. The solution is to sand off some material from the collar halves to enlarge the opening---CAREFULLY-- so that they fit around the adapter. I used the sandpaper sheet wrapped around a coke can trick to trim it back.

Step 8. Install the hub and secure with washer and nut; torque to 32.5 ft lbs. Make sure to seat the hub with one of the wheel mounting holes lined up with the post’s TDC mark. Again, the forward edge of the column covers should straddle the outside of the adapter.

Step 9. Airbag wiring. You’ll need to splice the airbag lead to the wire coming out of the dash. The airbag tester is a 2" x 1/2" wafer housed in a plastic box. Lose the box and find a secure place to locate the tester behind the steering column.

Step 10. Horn wiring. (Sorry, I'm a little fuzzy, here) You will need to mount a spade type contact to the back of the horn if two are not present. There’s a small screw hole already there and you’ll probably want to take the horn to your hardware store to find the right size screw. The screw makes contact with the coil spring under the horn button when depressed. Momo supplies a wire which attaches to the male contact located in the hub (ground) and the horn button. Route the lead (from behind the dash?) and ground wires through the hub and unattached wheel center, connect them to the horn button and press it into place along with the mounting ring.

Step 11. Mount the wheel to the hub with the six screws supplied (I think it’s 5 ft lbs), reconnect the battery and fire it up. Check the horn and drive around the block to ensure the steering hub was properly centered.

That's all there is to it. If anyone feels I goofed on any steps or can offer a clearer explanation, please feel free to chime in. Questions?
Old 03-23-2004, 10:50 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

You're welcome. I think if you can add some pics we can then offer the complete hack to John Miles for inclusion in his tech section. I'm sure you'll be able to figure out the little odds and ends without a problem. I got my Factory parts from Sunset Imports in Beaverton, OR. Good guys and good prices.

I read somewhere else that the big socket required to remove the nut is 15/16 which is right between a 23 and 24mm. So there's the first edit.
Old 03-23-2004, 04:09 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 1 Post

Okay Joe, you said that this was "Momo wheel installation made easy". That's great, but now I need "Momo wheel installation made cheap"!

Quite frankly, I was shocked at the price of the Porsche airbag tester (000.721.951.60). Sunset Porsche has them for $264!!! That's about $60 less than my local dealership, too!

Does this device simply remove airbag warning lights from the instrument cluster after the airbag is removed?

If so, I thought that maybe the dual airbag disable device (928.612.220.00) would be an alternative. It was only $30 from Sunset Porsche.

Does this device perform the same function as the 000.721.951.60, only on both airbags?

Otherwise, I will be interested in fabricating my own 'resistor in a box'...

Thanks.

Erick
Old 03-23-2004, 05:20 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here's my actual price quote from Jeff at Sunset (11/02):
Air bag tester 000-721-951-60 $61.52
Whoever looked it up probably quoted you the wrong item.
The following users liked this post:
964Luftballoon (03-27-2021)
Old 03-23-2004, 08:02 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Okay, I just verified the cost with Sunset. Yup, it's gone WAAAAAY up. Friggin' Porsche!

Well, there's no way I'm going to pay that. Would the dual airbag disable device (928.612.220.00) perform the same duty?

Anyone know how to fabricate my own?

Erick
Old 03-23-2004, 08:56 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that a 2.8 ohm 1/4 watt resistor will work on the passenger airbag. Don't know about the driver's side...
Old 03-23-2004, 09:40 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bob,

I believe you're suggestion will work. When Bill Gregory did a similar install he mentioned that an inexpensive Radio Shack resistor could be substituted for the Tester. Basically, it fools the warning system into thinking the airbag is still in place. The alternative is to turn off the main warning light (!) every time you start the car using the center console switch and remove the airbag and seatbelt warning lights from the clock. I wouldn't remove the main bulb since it alerts you to other issues .... fuel, brakes, alt belt, etc.
Old 03-23-2004, 10:26 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Great! Okay, once I see what the airbag wire looks like, I can get the appropriate connector to attach the resistor to. Are they like the "spade"-type? Would you suggest soldering the resistor to the wire connectors?

Thanks guys... there's no way I can justify $300 for the 'resistor-in-a-box'.

Erick
Old 03-24-2004, 04:58 PM
John52
Instructor

IMHO, the "bridge plug" (928.612.220.00) is the way to go. It was what the factory used for the Cup cars. Installation is simple and reversible. There is a carpet covered door on the passenger side of the centre console. Inside you will find a wide connector with an orange coloured tamper proof seal. Break the seal, pull the connector apart and insert the bridge plug. Both bags are now disabled (a good thing in my opinion). You do not need to mess with the wiring at the steering wheel, just tuck it away. On top of all that it is cheap. I can't find my bill but I know it was under $20 CDN so that should be about $10 bucks for you USA guys. I did have to wait for it to come from Germany which took about 6 weeks but your local dealer may have better luck.

l
Old 03-24-2004, 10:01 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rajin,

I took a look at the parts in your link and couldn't figure out how to fit them. Can you use the Factory parts?

Below is a pictures of a 928 steering column with Factory collar (the 964 parts are more symmetrical). Again, the collar halves should surround the lower end of the Momo hub and will require some sanding to fit. BTW, I don't think the horn wire should be sticking out of the hub as pictured.

From Michael Brigg's installation hack.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:58 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

The 928.612.220.00 number plug bridges the circuitry disconnects both airbags.

The location of the plug is shown on Sheet 15 of the 911 Carrera 2/4 Model '92 wiring diagrams in the factory manual.

It bridges terminals 3 and 4 in the T6 connector in the forward section of the center console, access door on passenger side. It is held with an orange clip.

With this plug installed the warning lights do not come on.

If you install this make sure any subsequent owner of car knows the airbags are disconnected or better yet, reactivate the airbags. Not fair for one to think they have airbags when they don't, and they may become rather testy if they find out the hard way
Old 04-15-2004, 01:32 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Aaaaahhhhh.... I see! And here I was trying to figure out how to disconnect the wires from the plastic contact ring. Whoops! I'll go check it out...

Thanks John. You saved me.

Erick
Old 06-09-2004, 11:39 AM
DanielB
Track Day

I just want to point out that part.no 928.612.220.00 works perfectly in my 964. I ordered it as 928.612.220.00, the sticker on the parts plastic bag said 928.612.220.00 but the part itself is marked 964.612.220.00.

Thanks a lot for the instruction, the installation went really smoth. I did not have to use a ground cable to make the horn work. The horn contact grounds via the spring wire comming out of the horn contact to the hub. Just connected the current from the cable mounted in the hub to the horn contact to make it work.
Old 10-11-2004, 01:54 AM
martinreinhardt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This plug allowed me to removed the last piece of the airbag components.

I removed the following:
The Diagnositc Unit included the airbag wiring harness: -2 pounds, L +R crash sensors approx. -0.5 pounds , Driver + Passenger Airbags -11 pounds.

Thank you all for sharing the instructions and special thanks to cupcar.

Note: the engine won't start without the bridge plug when the diagnose unit is unplugged.

Here is a picture from what was under the dashboard:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Okay, you asked for it--Momo wheel installation made easy!