Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shuffle steering

Old 05-02-2012, 10:41 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Default shuffle steering

I generally shuffle steer as it seems like my shoulders are too tight to keep hand position at 10/2. Are there stretching and strenthening exercises for the shoulder that are specific for racing?

Thanks,
Old 05-02-2012, 11:14 PM
DanS911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is nothing wrong with shuffle steering, there is also nothing wrong with keeping your hands at 10 and 2, or 9 and 3 if you will. Those that feel the need to polarize themselves (and you know who you are) are short changing their students. Most of the cars we drive require a combination of all of the above.
Different tracks require a different amount of each of the above skills.

My pet peeve (or at least one of) is when students are told to shuffle steer when it is not necessary. If you can keep your hands at 2 and 10 in any given turn, any counter steering will be back to center whereas if you shuffle you will be countering to a VERY uncomfortable and unnatural position.
As to your question regarding exercising, that's easy!
When grocery shopping use both hands and WORK THAT CART!
Old 05-02-2012, 11:22 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Maybe look at your driving position and get closer to the wheel?
Old 05-02-2012, 11:34 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Maybe look at your driving position and get closer to the wheel?
+1 on seating position.

Shuffle steering is a useful tool in certain circumstances IMO, but everywhere, in every corner? Maybe not the best way to be connected to what the car is doing & exercise graceful car control at advanced-level speeds. But....different strokes for different folks.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:33 AM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You have the obvious experience to decide what is best for you.

As mentioned, perhaps move forward a bit (Krause and others have mentioned a 90* angle at the elbow when a hand is at 12).

Get a new pair of gloves and tell yourself they are stuck at a certain position the very moment you put them on.

As far as stretching, good thing! Seek out exercises and stretching swimers use; you might try the US Masters Swimmers forums for a start.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:13 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Argh! To my own personal dismay, I was accused of shuffle steering in response to a video I posted. I would never have dreamed of it! So, for my own and everyone's edification, can we have clarification as to exactly what is meant by this term?
Old 05-03-2012, 10:15 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Some very fast/skilled drivers "shuffle". In a purpose built racecar generally the lock to lock is little more than a full turn so watching a pro in a cup can be misleading and power steering in modern cars has shortened up the ratios. Look at The ALMS Bimmers or DTMs you'll see yoke wheels. Sliding a weak grip while maintaing a strong arm at a clocked 3/9 is not shuffling IMO. You always keep a reference that way and have better control as long as you return to a clocked position for the opposite turn. Its the "lap shuffle" that I slap a student for; elbows locked in the lap and wheel gets passed from hand to hand then released and spun to unwind.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:16 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by J richard
Its the "lap shuffle" that I slap a student for; elbows locked in the lap and wheel gets passed from hand to hand then released and spun to unwind.
To me, this is shuffle steering.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:20 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
Argh! To my own personal dismay, I was accused of shuffle steering in response to a video I posted. I would never have dreamed of it! So, for my own and everyone's edification, can we have clarification as to exactly what is meant by this term?
Your hands moving around on the wheel at any time is shuffle steering in my book.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:22 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ah! Guilty as charged.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:37 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,793 Likes on 1,651 Posts

Originally Posted by J richard
...wheel gets passed from hand to hand then released and spun to unwind.
Arrgghh! This is the FIRST thing I try to fix by pointing out that ANY time the wheel is not positively controlled (adding or releasing lock) is BAD! As bad as driving with one hand on the wheel and one hand resting on the shifter. This "drifting" release of the wheel, letting it spin to center, is just not a good thing...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-03-2012, 11:45 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lolaman
Arrgghh! This is the FIRST thing I try to fix by pointing out that ANY time the wheel is not positively controlled (adding or releasing lock) is BAD! As bad as driving with one hand on the wheel and one hand resting on the shifter. This "drifting" release of the wheel, letting it spin to center, is just not a good thing...
Somwhere I have a old video of Pat Long driving a 6-cup around Cal Speedway at 165 with his right hand laying on his lap. We all got a chuckle out of it back then.....

Releasing the wheel when you're into a spin is a GOOD technique which allows the car to straighten itself out. It's saved my sorry *** on more occasions than I care to remember....
Old 05-03-2012, 12:01 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Releasing the wheel when you're into a spin is a GOOD technique which allows the car to straighten itself out. It's saved my sorry *** on more occasions than I care to remember....
Really??? That sounds like a horrible idea if you're still on the pavement and don't have the wheels locked. If the front end finds grip on the asphalt during that spin you're along for the ride in whichever way the front tires decide to go.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:23 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,793 Likes on 1,651 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
You know, I was going to include that exception (done it many times myself, despite myself), but...

I guess my concern about letting go of the wheel to "recover" from a spin was that it usually meant that the driver had lost their orientation.

Meant that they were truly disoriented, which is not good.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:27 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Oddly enough because of the way most street based cars are engineered they will track back to neutral and self correct if you let go...what happens after that has a lot to do with which way you're pointed...

True of cars and ironically many airplanes in a spin....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: shuffle steering