Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Replacing battery cables w/ new from Porsche: 86 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 07:01 PM
Nashvegas
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Replacing battery cables w/ new from Porsche: 86 Turbo

Question for the room - how tough is it to replace the battery cable harness (ie positive, negative cable with new one from Porsche)? Part is 200 bucks or so and apparently still available, just wondering if it's relatively simple w/ engine still in car. Or is this more than I'm bargaining for.

Easy to reuse the clips?

(PS keeping my car bone stock so don't want to try one of the aftermarket ideas, checked those all out this morning from the office)

Realized replacing my battery this weekend that the negative cable has an area where it was pinched and is fraying, coming apart.

TIA
Old 03-21-2017, 01:27 AM
numbskull
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nashvegas
Question for the room - how tough is it to replace the battery cable harness (ie positive, negative cable with new one from Porsche)? Part is 200 bucks or so and apparently still available, just wondering if it's relatively simple w/ engine still in car. Or is this more than I'm bargaining for.

Easy to reuse the clips?

(PS keeping my car bone stock so don't want to try one of the aftermarket ideas, checked those all out this morning from the office)

Realized replacing my battery this weekend that the negative cable has an area where it was pinched and is fraying, coming apart.

TIA
If replacing just negative cable if you can get your hands behind the back of the intake it is tight. I would recommend removing the intake, starter and altenator to do both positive and negative cables plus the alternator. There are 3 cables from what I remember then you are done with it.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:34 AM
Mweinst
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did this on my car. I only did the main positive and negative battery terminals - not the alternator cable.

You'll definitely need to pull the intake manifold to get to the grounding point on the bellhousing for the negative cable. It's not difficult to swap these out as long as you have the right tools for everything.

My suggestion is when you remove the positive cable from the starter, tie a heavy string to it. Then, pull the old cable out from the top, remove the string from the old cable end, tie it to the new cable end, and pull the new cable down to the starter from under the car with the string. It saves a lot of time trying to route the new cable back to the starter.

While you're doing this, use a wire brush to clean all of your grounds/contact points, and put a little dielectric grease on the copper cable ends.

Doing this job fixed multiple electrical issues for me, because there was so much resistance in the old negative cable. It was well worth it.

Quick Reply: Replacing battery cables w/ new from Porsche: 86 Turbo