Replacing battery cables w/ new from Porsche: 86 Turbo - Rennlist Discussion Forums

Replacing battery cables w/ new from Porsche: 86 Turbo

Old 03-20-2017, 07:01 PM   #1
Nashvegas
User

Default Replacing battery cables w/ new from Porsche: 86 Turbo

Question for the room - how tough is it to replace the battery cable harness (ie positive, negative cable with new one from Porsche)? Part is 200 bucks or so and apparently still available, just wondering if it's relatively simple w/ engine still in car. Or is this more than I'm bargaining for.

Easy to reuse the clips?

(PS keeping my car bone stock so don't want to try one of the aftermarket ideas, checked those all out this morning from the office)

Realized replacing my battery this weekend that the negative cable has an area where it was pinched and is fraying, coming apart.

TIA
Nashvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:27 AM   #2
numbskull
Addict
Rennlist Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashvegas View Post
Question for the room - how tough is it to replace the battery cable harness (ie positive, negative cable with new one from Porsche)? Part is 200 bucks or so and apparently still available, just wondering if it's relatively simple w/ engine still in car. Or is this more than I'm bargaining for.

Easy to reuse the clips?

(PS keeping my car bone stock so don't want to try one of the aftermarket ideas, checked those all out this morning from the office)

Realized replacing my battery this weekend that the negative cable has an area where it was pinched and is fraying, coming apart.

TIA
If replacing just negative cable if you can get your hands behind the back of the intake it is tight. I would recommend removing the intake, starter and altenator to do both positive and negative cables plus the alternator. There are 3 cables from what I remember then you are done with it.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote