Couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 09:16 PM
skraight
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of questions

Hello,

First post here, been lurking for a few weeks looking for answers but have a couple I am having issues finding.

Looking at purchasing a 944 turbo, it has a lot of solid modifications:

hard pipes/upgraded clutch/60lb injectors/bosch fuel pump

One thing it has is the Split Second PSC piggyback, is this still a solid choice? I see a lot about the M tune.

It still is on stock turbo, I'd like to upgrade to something budget friendly ($1,000)? and get around 350rwhp. Any recommendations or even possible in that price range? is 300ish on e-85 stock turbo possible?

I'd also like to run e-85 as its plentiful here. I'm sure I'd have to upgrade to 80 or 160 lb injectors.

Upgrading to run e-85 and bigger turbo, is that piggyback still a good choice?

Thanks for your time
Old 03-16-2017, 06:56 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

I would ditch the piggyback and buy M-tune or Vems pnp system.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:58 PM
skraight
4th Gear

Thanks, that is what I figured.

Anybody running e-85 stock turbo? what kind of power are you making?
Old 03-17-2017, 03:53 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 184 Posts

I doubt too many guys are running E85 on a stock turbo.... The air pump isnt efficient enough for huge numbers, regardless of fuel. You need to get the back pressure down before you go crazy turning up the boost, not to mention the need for a better compressor.

The general consensus is that a stock turbo will do 275 ish when its waaaaay maxed out.
I was getting 230 wheel Hp with 300 ft lbs, that was on a mustang dyno, probably would have been 250 on a dynojet.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:15 PM
skraight
4th Gear

Hmm, bummer. Thanks for the info.

Guess I will be looking for a stock replacement turbo option that doesn't require modification, and maybe upgrade to the LR M-Tune kit.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:13 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

To achieve 350whp, you'll need to change the turbo. The k26 just won't do it. Consider either a LR package, or Vitesse. Maybe not the cheapest options, but either would be a one stop shop. You could also explore cheaper turbo options like a k27 or an evergreen k26. But at the very least, you'll need an exhaust, a different MAF, boost controller and turbo.

Another very important thing to consider is monitoring AFRs and knock. All this extra power needs to be tamed at the risk of blowing your engine. An AFR gauge ideally should be the first thing on your shopping list. Vitesse sells a knock sensor that can be used with or without their MAF. IMHO, these 2 things are cheap upgrades that you can't do without if your plan is to go down this slippery slope.

One more thing that will become an issue at 350whp is the clutch. These cars make tons of torque, which makes life for a clutch a tough one. The stock clutch will not last long, if at all. You'll likely be pushing well over 400 ft lbs of torque at the flywheel, which is way beyond what it was designed for. If you can tackle this job on your own, a clutch can be had relatively inexpensively. And honestly if you're changing the turbo, exhaust, clutch, etc, your best bet will be to pull the engine. It will be much easier and faster.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:53 PM
skraight
4th Gear

Thanks for the info, the car does have a wideband, 3" exhaust and upgraded clutch.

That is why I felt it was really just missing a turbo/injectors upgrade. But the more I look at upgraded turbos a lot require modification to the downpipe/exhaust.

Currently drive a 4400 lb scat pack boat, and missing having the 3rd pedal. Want this car to give me about the same power/speed and be a fun weekend driver.

Will look into those turbos you mentioned, appreciate the response and feedback!

Quick Reply: Couple of questions