Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Head Gasket Blown? Recommend for LA head shop?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 02:30 PM
NCLA951
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Head Gasket Blown? Recommend for LA head shop?

How normal is this?

Seems like this may be normal if the car hasn't been up to temp in a while, this was after first drive after installing new speed/ref sensors, it had been a while.

There is no milkshake or water on the dipstick, and the coolant looks clean.

I've replaced fuel filters, fuel pump, fuel lines, injectors cleaned this last summer, cap/rotor/wires/plugs/coil, speed/ref sensors, tested harness for continuity and wiggled wires while running and no change.

It will stall and bog like running out of fuel, worse when cold. I'm installing VEMS from Raceboy soon to actually give me some feedback on what the sensors are seeing, and also going to try some new injectors before that.

But I'm also worried it might be the head gasket, does that ever cause intermittent problems, like running worse when cold, and generally bad running? It will have moments of clarity, and it starts to pull hard, then goes lean, looses power and generally disappoints.

The problem first occurred on track after it was running great, came out of the blue, no bad sounds or anything, and I thought it was bad gas. The next day on a dyno it pulled 336 first run on dyno, bogged and went lean on second run, and made 353 on 3rd run.

AFRs are a bit wacky as well.

Also cleaned grounds, and tried working DME.

Could this be a bad head gasket and I've been chasing my tail for 2 months?

If so who's good and reasonably priced/quick turnaround for head work in LA?

Thanks!
Old 01-17-2017, 02:52 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

that stuff on the cap looks normal for a "cold" engine
run it up to temp and drive it around for a while and then check the cap and see if its clean.

look at the coolant or the oil to check for HG leak - the oil filler cap is not the place to check.

if you do end up needing a head job done and will DIY, i can point you to some shops i've used in the past for 944 heads.

if you want to farm out the work i usually do a 951 head gasket + timing belt + water pump job for ~$1800 including parts, if you bring the car to my garage.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:17 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
that stuff on the cap looks normal for a "cold" engine
run it up to temp and drive it around for a while and then check the cap and see if its clean.

look at the coolant or the oil to check for HG leak - the oil filler cap is not the place to check.

if you do end up needing a head job done and will DIY, i can point you to some shops i've used in the past for 944 heads.

if you want to farm out the work i usually do a 951 head gasket + timing belt + water pump job for ~$1800 including parts, if you bring the car to my garage.
I can vouch for Spencer V2rocket, he is very experienced on head gaskets, clutch jobs etc etc, you will save a ton of money with him. Or you can bring the car to me and I will ..take care of it
Old 01-17-2017, 08:44 PM
NCLA951
Racer

Not bloody likely Luis! I'll keep throwing parts from you at it until it works!
Old 01-18-2017, 07:46 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by NCLA951
How normal is this? Seems like this may be normal if the car hasn't been up to temp in a while, this was after first drive after installing new speed/ref sensors, it had been a while.
Sludge, due to condensation from briefly [minutes] running engine and shutting down, multiple times, without bringing engine to full operating temperature.

How long has it been since the car was properly exercised? If months, with several brief starts, as above...then normal.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:19 AM
NCLA951
Racer

It's been months since it's been fully warmed up, been chasing this bad running condition and haven't been able to flog it properly.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:21 AM
NCLA951
Racer

Spencer looking down the road, what do you charge for a clutch replacement with a rear seal for good measure?
Old 01-18-2017, 12:05 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

$1,000,000

Old 01-18-2017, 12:22 PM
NCLA951
Racer

Seems reasonable! Feel free to PM!
Old 01-18-2017, 03:19 PM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

While in there you could do a 16v head swap as well
Old 01-18-2017, 03:36 PM
NCLA951
Racer

While I'm in there I should also sleeve a 3L block to 3.2 as well!

I'm going to think positive that it's not the head, install VEMS, wasted spark and new injectors and see...
Old 01-18-2017, 03:36 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

To OP, just out of curiosity, what makes you think you can't do the the HG yourself? It's not that bad of a job, maybe other than trying to get the headers loose.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:43 PM
NCLA951
Racer

I'm not worried about doing the gasket myself, I've done the belts before and that's half the battle. My wife however is losing patience with how much I've worked on my car this last year with turbo upgrade, new hoses etc, so I'm trying to avoid doing it right now if possible. I'd like to get at least a year of mostly routine maintenance and tuning after the vems install, before diving into head work. My car had no service records, and the header hardware looks much newer than stock, so I'm assuming at some point in its history it's had a new gasket, but that's conjecture.

Quick Reply: Head Gasket Blown? Recommend for LA head shop?