Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Head Stud Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 09:23 AM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Head Stud Question

I'm getting ready to install new head studs into my fresh block. What is recommended to be applied to the threads from the stud to block? I've read, liquid pipe sealant, Loctite, heavy grease.... what is best? what brand?
Old 01-11-2017, 10:15 AM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Loctite red.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:28 PM
michaelmount123
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts

Do NOT use Loctite! The Loctite instruction sheet will tell you why.

Use Extreme Pressure Lube https://www.summitracing.com/parts/d...fLUaAu598P8HAQ
Old 01-11-2017, 04:14 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelmount123

I saw those instructions when you posted last time -- i.e., that you need to tighten before it hardens (which, of course, a non-robot could never do). I wonder if that's why the factory seemed to use an excessive amount of the stuff -- so that it would stay wet long enough for the factory to get the studs in, the gasket and head on, and the nuts torqued? Even with automated process, it seems like that would take a bit...? Just seemed like they used way more than actually needed, and have always wondered why.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:33 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

The price is very reasonable. What procedure is used with this? Set time? How much to use on each stud? Any tips?
Old 01-11-2017, 10:17 PM
michaelmount123
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
I saw those instructions when you posted last time -- i.e., that you need to tighten before it hardens (which, of course, a non-robot could never do). I wonder if that's why the factory seemed to use an excessive amount of the stuff -- so that it would stay wet long enough for the factory to get the studs in, the gasket and head on, and the nuts torqued? Even with automated process, it seems like that would take a bit...? Just seemed like they used way more than actually needed, and have always wondered why.
Is there really an excessive amount? The entire thread section is covered, but typically no excess. Granted, they're a bitch to remove. //// 1/12/17 second thought: yes, it is excessive since the job of securing the studs could be done with a drop or two of red Loctite rather than what Porsche has done./////

I imagine with an automated system, the studs go in (all 10 at once?), the head and gasket go on, and the washers and nuts get torqued as a unit. It COULD be a short time overall....

Last edited by michaelmount123; 01-12-2017 at 10:54 AM. Reason: 2nd thought noted above
Old 01-11-2017, 10:33 PM
michaelmount123
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mahoney944
The price is very reasonable. What procedure is used with this? Set time? How much to use on each stud? Any tips?
Extreme Pressure Lube (EPL) is a very thick 'anti-seize'. I use it on 944 head studs, spark plug threads, and the like. The reason it's suitable for the 944 head studs is that its viscosity will hold the studs from turning when the nuts are torqued - if the top threads are clean and properly oiled.

There's no wait time after application. Use the factory torque spec if you're using a factory type head gasket. If you're using a Cometic, use the factory sequence and torque the nuts to 65-70 ft. lbs. in three steps. Fourth step is to go over the sequence a final time at full torque since the embossing on the Cometic slowly compresses and you might find the center studs loose.

There's also benefit in being able to easily remove the head studs next time the engine is apart.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:29 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

One bottle seems like enough. I ordered two just in case.

Just to be clear. Head studs set to 72mm, but what height do the main journal and shorter girdle studs get set to? Using this same High Pressure Lube?

Thank you in advance.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:29 PM
michaelmount123
Rennlist Member

Yes, use the same EPL. Set the 12mm studs at 76mm above the block, and the 10mm studs to 50mm above.
MM
Old 01-19-2017, 01:19 AM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Yes, use the same EPL. Set the 12mm studs at 76mm above the block, and the 10mm studs to 50mm above.
MM
thank you
Old 01-23-2017, 04:30 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 408 Posts

I saw those instructions when you posted last time -- i.e., that you need to tighten before it hardens (which, of course, a non-robot could never do).
Why not? Loctite red needs 24 hours to fully bond, you have at least half an hour to apply pressure and it will still allow threads to touch ie squeeze excess out of the loaded area.

Loctite red is perfectly fine.. If you don't intend to remove them ever again.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:42 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Is there really an excessive amount? The entire thread section is covered, but typically no excess. Granted, they're a bitch to remove. //// 1/12/17 second thought: yes, it is excessive since the job of securing the studs could be done with a drop or two of red Loctite rather than what Porsche has done./////
Exactly, that's what I meant by excessive. My back-up theory is that they used that much so that it acted as a sealant in addition holding the stud in place. The Loctite instructions say to coat the whole thread when using it to seal threads, which is what Porsche did. Maybe Porsche was worried about corrosion and/or fluids getting under the studs?
Old 01-23-2017, 06:02 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

I installed the head and main studs and they look good. I did notice some of the studs on the head side seem like they can spin fairly easily. I don't feel any slop in the thread or wiggle to the stud but it doesn't take too much to spin it with your fingers. I figure stud stretch would help this and I'd imagine if the stud would spin a little when torquing it probably wouldn't hurt, there seems to be enough spacing under the stud to not bottom out if it does.

Pics:

Old 01-23-2017, 06:55 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Did you use the grease MM recommended to prevent them from turning? You really don't want them to turn when you torque the nuts. They may get too low, you'll alter the turning friction and torque value, and you'll put a lot more wear on aluminum threads in the block.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:03 AM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Did you use the grease MM recommended to prevent them from turning? You really don't want them to turn when you torque the nuts. They may get too low, you'll alter the turning friction and torque value, and you'll put a lot more wear on aluminum threads in the block.
yes I did. There is resistance. But I can turn the head studs with my fingers. I scribed lines on them to see if they rotate or not

Quick Reply: Head Stud Question