Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rogue DME and rogue m-tune questions, bin files?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 09:37 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by gruhsy
As per a suggestion from Josh last year I had to switch my Rogue board to NA mode to get my car to run properly.
I tried 3 different chips also. 2 LR M-tune chips and then the one that Josh sent in the mail with the update tune.
I had the same issue that you are describing where whenever I got past about 2 psi or less than 4000 rpm it backfired and cut out.

They all run in NA mode but not turbo.
THANK YOU!!!! It's so hard to find information on these things.

It's an interesting compromise, as I bet you lose the knock detection / timing adjustment.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:22 AM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I was not aware until you posted that the NA mode bypasses the KLR. Good to know.

I have the LR M-tune in my 3.0L and I bought the last gen non LR M-tune which I have not tried. I bought it for the Tuner and Logger it came with.

If you search for some of my posts online regarding Rogue stuff you will find some info that may help a little. The responses from other people.

I'm still trying to find out what the wiring configuration is off of the non LR Rogue logger. Bought mine used from Devon "JBrown" and it didn't come with the wire harness for the logger.

Would be good if someone were to post a link somewhat like Paulyy did in his Maintenance/Mod/Write up.

I might eventually but at the moment I'm a little too busy.

Lots of posts and threads on here about M-tune. Would be nice to amalgamate all M-tune data onto one thread with links to all threads.

I agree it's hard to find info when I comes to trouble shooting/tuning/logging.

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
THANK YOU!!!! It's so hard to find information on these things.

It's an interesting compromise, as I bet you lose the knock detection / timing adjustment.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:40 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

The logger device is a HULOG from www.moates.net . they sell a cable there but you'll need to modify the second end, and I'm not exactly sure how to do that. you might tell them what you're doing and see if they have any ideas... otherwise I can cut mine apart, which im nervous to do.

Originally Posted by gruhsy
I was not aware until you posted that the NA mode bypasses the KLR. Good to know.

I have the LR M-tune in my 3.0L and I bought the last gen non LR M-tune which I have not tried. I bought it for the Tuner and Logger it came with.

If you search for some of my posts online regarding Rogue stuff you will find some info that may help a little. The responses from other people.

I'm still trying to find out what the wiring configuration is off of the non LR Rogue logger. Bought mine used from Devon "JBrown" and it didn't come with the wire harness for the logger.

Would be good if someone were to post a link somewhat like Paulyy did in his Maintenance/Mod/Write up.

I might eventually but at the moment I'm a little too busy.

Lots of posts and threads on here about M-tune. Would be nice to amalgamate all M-tune data onto one thread with links to all threads.

I agree it's hard to find info when I comes to trouble shooting/tuning/logging.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:57 PM
markl951
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
The logger device is a HULOG from www.moates.net . they sell a cable there but you'll need to modify the second end, and I'm not exactly sure how to do that. you might tell them what you're doing and see if they have any ideas... otherwise I can cut mine apart, which im nervous to do.
Was just about to order the HULOG myself but decided there are cheaper alternatives. It's just a serial to USB converter. For DME logging all you need is GND and the RX signal. Can you tell me the part number on the FTDI chip inside? I can't quite make out the complete PN from the photos on the moates web site. I'm guessing it's a 5V TTL logic level serial port but not sure yet without more info. If you can trace the wires back to individual pins on the chip I can tell you which two wires you need. I need to swap my M-Tune setup back in the car and start some testing of my own.

Is there a serial data stream going to the logger with just the key on or does the engine need to be running before any data starts streaming? If it's the former, I can test this on the bench without having to get my car running...
Old 01-21-2017, 01:48 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

http://www.moates.net/cn2-cable-p-220.html?cPath=69

When I sent Josh an email I believe he thought that I was talking about the grey flat ribbon cable but I meant the one below.

What I need is the wire on the right hand side of the bottom picture.

Moates sells the upper picture for 4.00$ for a Honda setup. I would just have to cut one end off and try to see which 2 of the 4 are used.

I am in no rush since this is for another car that does not have an engine at the moment.

I will be buying the LR logger for my 3.0 setup since it is different from the last generate plastic tube one.

I did post this question on another thread but I figure the more of us that chat the better the information sharing is.

Attached Images   
Old 01-23-2017, 09:09 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by markl951
Was just about to order the HULOG myself but decided there are cheaper alternatives. It's just a serial to USB converter. For DME logging all you need is GND and the RX signal. Can you tell me the part number on the FTDI chip inside? I can't quite make out the complete PN from the photos on the moates web site. I'm guessing it's a 5V TTL logic level serial port but not sure yet without more info. If you can trace the wires back to individual pins on the chip I can tell you which two wires you need. I need to swap my M-Tune setup back in the car and start some testing of my own.

Is there a serial data stream going to the logger with just the key on or does the engine need to be running before any data starts streaming? If it's the former, I can test this on the bench without having to get my car running...
I've got the chip in front of me and i cant read the damn number...

1221-C
FT232RL

I think that's what it says^^^^^^^^^^^^

Gurshy, I'm going to have to mess with my cable soon, and I'll try to get you more information.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:34 AM
markl951
Rennlist Member

FT232RL is the part number. Here's the package pinout. (If yours is not this 28 pin package then send me a picture and I'll try and figure it out.)

DME pin 12 needs to make its way to pin 5 (RXD) on this chip. If you have an ohm meter, check continuity from pin 5 on the chip to each of the wires in the HULOG cable until you identify the right one.

DME pin 16 needs to make it's way to GND on the chip. GND on the chip is pin 7, 18, and 21. Measure continuity from pin 7 on the chip to locate the GND wire in the HULOG cable.

Joshua's DME logger cable probably has the HULOG cable merged into just these two wires already. The LR DME logger cable has a 3rd wire (not used) but it might go to pin 1 on the chip.

I hope to actually verify all this soon enough. Just haven't had time to work on it yet.
Attached Images  

Last edited by markl951; 01-24-2017 at 10:30 AM.
Old 01-20-2020, 02:02 AM
boost feen
Three Wheelin'

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

About to buy a HuLog and wire it into my 3 liter 8v turbo setup I’m building for tuning capability using the emulator on a rogue ECUs and stealth m tune setup I built!

This pinout for using the moates HuLog did it work is this the right wire configure for the 2 wires that I need? Thanks guys
Old 01-20-2020, 02:22 PM
kev951
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I am also buying a moates or hulog and will need rework instructions please. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-20-2020, 04:18 PM
eman930
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by markl951
FT232RL is the part number. Here's the package pinout. (If yours is not this 28 pin package then send me a picture and I'll try and figure it out.)

DME pin 12 needs to make its way to pin 5 (RXD) on this chip. If you have an ohm meter, check continuity from pin 5 on the chip to each of the wires in the HULOG cable until you identify the right one.

DME pin 16 needs to make it's way to GND on the chip. GND on the chip is pin 7, 18, and 21. Measure continuity from pin 7 on the chip to locate the GND wire in the HULOG cable.

Joshua's DME logger cable probably has the HULOG cable merged into just these two wires already. The LR DME logger cable has a 3rd wire (not used) but it might go to pin 1 on the chip.

I hope to actually verify all this soon enough. Just haven't had time to work on it yet.

What do you think the extra wire on the LR unit would be used for?
Old 01-20-2020, 04:30 PM
markl951
Rennlist Member

Shawn, I never tried the HuLog but I also never got it to work with a generic FTDI serial to USB converter either. Besides the non-standard baud rate there's also a voltage translation issue to deal with.The FTDI part is a 0 to +5V logic level part. The DME interface, the one that works with Rogue or LR DME Logger is 0 to +12V. I ended up just getting the DME Logger.

Quick Reply: Rogue DME and rogue m-tune questions, bin files?