924 GTP torsion bar (photos)

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 12:01 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 924 GTP torsion bar (photos)

Came across this, Found it quite interesting how the GTP Torsion bars are setup compared to what we have in our cars.

Not sure how you'd adjust camber but from what i can tell, it looks as Toe adjustment is done from where the arm meets the torsion tube. (not sure of the technical names)
Not sure how you'd adjust camber

Old 09-28-2016, 01:40 AM
michaelmount123
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts

There are no torsion bars; the rear suspension is coil-over. Toe is adjusted by lengthing/shortening large heim joints at the front of the control arms. The photos only show the threaded stud and not the spherical bearing section of the joint. Camber is adjusted by raising or lowering the mounting - again at the front of the arms. The 'camber boxes' are designed to accommodate this adjustment.

It's the same arrangement that the 924GTR had.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:30 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by michaelmount123
There are no torsion bars; the rear suspension is coil-over. Toe is adjusted by lengthing/shortening large heim joints at the front of the control arms. The photos only show the threaded stud and not the spherical bearing section of the joint. Camber is adjusted by raising or lowering the mounting - again at the front of the arms. The 'camber boxes' are designed to accommodate this adjustment.

It's the same arrangement that the 924GTR had.
I dont really know what to call this set up, I know it's on coilovers no Tbars. Just using the actual set up with the arms is interesting and how it all works.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:38 AM
944crazy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The rear suspension set up is called a 'trailing arm' and the front is of the 'McPherson strut' type. If my memory is correct the front was developed from the mk1 golf, and the rear from the Super Beetle. It's pretty impressive that Porsche made such a nice handling car with such old and simple suspension.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:20 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Trailing arm. That's the word I was looking for.

I just like how the GTP/GTR uses a different way to adjust Toe and Camber rather than using the spring plate.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:14 AM
944crazy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I like it too. Seems it would be a lot easier to adjust than the spring plate eccentrics, and also have a larger range of adjustment.

It also appears the the torsion bar carrier is made of aluminium? If so, it must be a nice weight saving over the heavy steel unit in the road cars.

Quick Reply: 924 GTP torsion bar (photos)