Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

So I'm starting to tune the car with Ostrich and could use some guidence

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 10:26 PM
Chuck Henry
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I'm starting to tune the car with Ostrich and could use some guidence

I've got the wide band and the knock counter set up, but have given up on getting the logger to work. I followed Joshua's advice and started with global adjustments and then moved to MAP compensation and I have my AFR numbers pretty close, however if I go over 3/4 throttle (and any rpm) or try and get into boost it just cuts out. It didn't do that on the chip, so it has to be something with the tune. Does anyone have any ideas? Do I need to adjust the WOT fuel trims or something? Is there a post somewhere with advice about tuning the car?

As a side note I had to pull quite a bit of fuel (E85 tune) to get things to run decent AFR's. I'm not sure why. Same thing on the LR/Rogue chip, I was running FQS 6 to pull as much fuel as possible to get it to run decent. Not sure why my car runs so rich, but that's what drove me into going this route. I had it going pretty good pulling fuel pressure on the chip, but thought I could get it much close going this route. So far, I've got it running pretty good... as long as I don't want more than half throttle.
Old 08-27-2016, 10:46 PM
bumflick
Racer

Subscribed. In exactly the same boat. Have the MAP, MAF and the ostrich all on the shelf, but trying to work up the nerve to install.

reading a couple books on tuning to educate myself.

Malcolm
Old 08-29-2016, 02:03 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 326 Posts

You sure you have no vacuum leaks? You smoke test the car? My first 951 seemed all sealed up until I had a smoke test done. Found my throttle body seals were leaking like a sieve...
Old 08-29-2016, 12:28 PM
Chuck Henry
Racer

It ran just fine (if a bit rich) on the actual chip, but cuts when I give it a lot of throttle when on Ostrich. The tune is supposed to be the same, but obviously something is different. Runs great if I only use half throttle, but obviously that's no fun.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:36 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Yeah but maybe this new tune is more sensitive to vacuum leaks? The fact that you had to pull so much fuel from the chip tune is making me suspicious...
Old 08-29-2016, 01:40 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Are you running the Rogue DME?
Old 08-29-2016, 02:15 PM
Chuck Henry
Racer

Yes I'm running the Rogue DME/ECU. I've tried it in both NA and Turbo just to see but no difference, are there any other switches that might make a difference? It's really odd the way the car completely shuts down.

I did a vacuum check and I have good pull so I don't think it's that. It's weird since it's supposed to be the same tune but just doesn't work at all. I had to pull a lot of fuel (through FQS) on the normal chip too, but vacuum is good at the FPR. I'm totally baffled what could be causing my issue. I wonder if someone has a working E85 bin file I could try for testing.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:38 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Have you tried a different KLR chip? I remember my 86 turbo back in 94 had a chip issue and we swapped out both for Allan Johnson chips at the time at MCL Porsche in Vancouver.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:59 PM
Chuck Henry
Racer

Wouldn't it not want to work on both tunes though. My regular m-tune chip worked fine (if rich) but the Ostrich equivalent cuts out. That's why I figured it had to be something with the Ostrich tune.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:52 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Ah! gotcha. Missed that it was working on the Rogue tune.

Originally Posted by Chuck Henry
Wouldn't it not want to work on both tunes though. My regular m-tune chip worked fine (if rich) but the Ostrich equivalent cuts out. That's why I figured it had to be something with the Ostrich tune.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:22 AM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why don't you post some screen grabs of your fuel map to see if we can help.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:17 AM
Chuck Henry
Racer

Sure thing, I'll do that tonight.

Just to confirm, I switched back to my LR M-tune chip and after putting it into FQS 6 and pulling two full turns from the FPR it runs pretty good. It's really lean (15.2) on idle and rich (low 11, high 10) on boost but it's the best compromise. If I plug the O2 sensor back in it adjusts the idle richer but then goes so rich under full boost it cuts out, so I leave it unplugged.

The point being, the tune I was sent by Joshua is supposed to be the exact same tune as the chip but it just cuts out in situations where I give it a lot of throttle, so something MUST be different. I'm just not sure if it's the difference between the chip communication and the Ostrich emulator or if there is actually something off with the tune.

Obviously it's weird that I have to pull SO much fuel from the M-tune to get it to run decent, but I don't know what it can be. Vacuum is good at the FPR, I set the pressure right, but even at idle at FQS 0 I had a AFR in the mid 12's with a warm car. Either way, I bought all the stuff to tune it and it would be nice to be able to do so. I was thinking about trying to tune the pump gas tune and see if that went better, but I have E85 in it now and would like to sort that out before changing fuels. I want to have both working well in case I ever want to take a longer trip in the car, but around town I'll probably run E85 most of the time.

Last edited by Chuck Henry; 08-30-2016 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:21 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Vacuum leak!!!!!! You need to smoke test the car Chuck...
Old 08-30-2016, 11:25 AM
Chuck Henry
Racer

I'll read up on it and do it soon to rule it out. I have replaced all the lines, deleted the venturi, gone to a multiple barb connector on the intake to minimize connections, pressure checked where I could, and have checked the vacuum at multiple points but I'm willing to take it to another level.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:33 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Thought I got mine all sealed up too, until the smoke test showed the throttle body seals were shot...

Quick Reply: So I'm starting to tune the car with Ostrich and could use some guidence