Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

So I'm starting to tune the car with Ostrich and could use some guidence

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 11:45 AM
Chuck Henry
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still, it doesn't explain why I can't tune the car which is the main point of the post. It runs on the chip, doesn't on the Ostrich. I will still need to figure that out, but I'll check for vacuum leak to make sure that's not why it's running rich. But if I'm driving it and it's running pretty good then I switch to the same tune using the Ostrich and I can't give it more than half throttle... well that's not related to vacuum.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:39 PM
CO951
Burning Brakes

You said Joshua sent you what was supposed to be the same tune as the chip. Maybe it's not, that would explain why switching from chip to ostrich and no other changes, changes the way it runs so much. Although, if I read it right you are changing the FQS, too? If it's the same tune, the FQS would need to be in the same position to get the same performance.
Old 08-30-2016, 02:54 PM
Chuck Henry
Racer

I tried everything set up the same way when I switched. The car will actually run on the chip in FQS 0 with the FPR set at 3 bar, but it's really rich and cuts out if you get into much boost at all. Even when I tweaked the Ostrich setup so my AFR's were all really good (much better than on the chip) it cuts out under heavy throttle. I'll check with Joshua again and see if there is another tune I could try. That's why I was hoping there was someone with a working E85 bin file I could try, as a test on that theory.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:11 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you actually looked at the fuel table in Maxtune? You might also want to invest in an EPROM reader (they're cheap) so you can read what's on your existing chips. It'll give you a solid start point to tune your Ostrich. Did you tune your Ostrich yourself or did you get it from someone else with a tune loaded? It sounds like whatever you have on your Ostrich is so far off it's not working at all.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:35 PM
CO951
Burning Brakes

Did you ask Joshua if you need to use the chip board with the ostrich, with his software. I've used the ostrich, read and burned chips all with standard tunes, but don't know how it works with his encrypted code. My understanding was he was only protecting the rest of the code, but not the tune portion, but still have no experience using the ostrich with his encrypted code.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:17 PM
Chuck Henry
Racer

Aaron,
I did look at it, but the fuel table doesn't mean much to me at this point. I'll have to look into an EPROM reader, maybe that would point me in the right direction. I got the bin file from Joshua and started tweaking from there, so I didn't do the whole thing myself.

Michael,
I actually bought the extra board when I got the Ostrich, but Joshua said it would work with the LR board in the right pin settings. Since it runs it looks like it's seeing the Ostrich board, but is just doesn't work right. I can change things like the global fuel trims and the map compensation but beyond that I noticed yesterday that I couldn't write changes. So it would appear that it is locked.

I have a lot to learn yet it would seem. At least switching back to the chip I can drive the car again. I loose heart when I have to go weeks without driving it!
Old 08-30-2016, 06:34 PM
CO951
Burning Brakes

Yeah, my guess was that if it needed the board and didn't have it, it wouldn't run, but I was just trying to think of possibilities as to why it would run different with the ostrich than with the chip if the tunes are the same.
I would say do the chip reader to make sure they are the same, but I don't think that is an option because of the encryption.
I'm out of ideas, hopefully Joshua can help you more. Good Luck!
Old 08-30-2016, 09:17 PM
Chuck Henry
Racer

I would still love to look at an E85 tune from anyone else. It would be good to try another known working tune.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:53 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Henry
but have given up on getting the logger to work.
You must go back and figure this out. The logger will be a big help in diagnosing the issue.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:22 PM
Chuck Henry
Racer

I was going to dig out an old XP machine and see if it would work on an older OS. Maybe later this week. It would be helpful for sure.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:13 PM
CO951
Burning Brakes

My car is not running right now, so you could borrow my chip/chipboard for a little while if you'd like, to compare to your original. Mine is a few years old, so it probably has some differences in the tune from yours, but I did run great on E85 without changes to the FQS.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:24 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Maybe I've missed something throughout this thread. Chuck, could you detail what specific equipment you currently have installed and what equipment you have replaced? I have an Ostrich installed on one of my DMEs and you MUST alter the .BIN file to work properly with your individual setup. Even a .BIN file from someone else who has a car with the "same" physical properties will require tweaking to function perfectly. If you haven't confirmed the fuel and ignition maps are the same on your Ostrich .BIN file and whatever is loaded on this other DME chip, it's highly likely the KLR is kicking in due to knock or overboost. I find it more than slightly concerning you seem so nonchalant about verifying the maps on your Ostrich because you run a real risk of permanent and expensive damage to your engine. You haven't really provided much information as to the actual symptoms or your diagnosis which would allow someone else to offer their experience and insight.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:57 PM
Chuck Henry
Racer

Originally Posted by CO951
My car is not running right now, so you could borrow my chip/chipboard for a little while if you'd like, to compare to your original. Mine is a few years old, so it probably has some differences in the tune from yours, but I did run great on E85 without changes to the FQS.
I would come by even if you didn't have anything to offer. It would be great to meet another local owner! Please drop me an email and lets work out a time.
Old 08-31-2016, 01:11 PM
Chuck Henry
Racer

Originally Posted by ramius665
Maybe I've missed something throughout this thread. Chuck, could you detail what specific equipment you currently have installed and what equipment you have replaced? I have an Ostrich installed on one of my DMEs and you MUST alter the .BIN file to work properly with your individual setup. Even a .BIN file from someone else who has a car with the "same" physical properties will require tweaking to function perfectly. If you haven't confirmed the fuel and ignition maps are the same on your Ostrich .BIN file and whatever is loaded on this other DME chip, it's highly likely the KLR is kicking in due to knock or overboost. I find it more than slightly concerning you seem so nonchalant about verifying the maps on your Ostrich because you run a real risk of permanent and expensive damage to your engine. You haven't really provided much information as to the actual symptoms or your diagnosis which would allow someone else to offer their experience and insight.
Sure thing, I'll try and make it simple. Just to recap.

My car runs on my M-tune but runs rich. I played with FQS (at 6, -11.6%) and with fuel adjustments but the best I can do is too lean at idle, to rich at boost. I contacted Joshua and he sent me the files to make the Ostrich emulate my current tune. He told me to turn on dip switches on the LR board to 2&3 to make the DME see the Ostrich. Car starts and runs pretty similar until I get into heavier throttle than cuts out. I managed to dial in all the other running to pretty good with 3 bar and FQS 0 but it still doesn't run when I get into the throttle.

My setup

Stock except
M-tune (obviously)
LR bypass
Forge diverter

For the purpose of tuning I have

A wideband meter
Boost gauge
Manual boost controller
Knock counter
Rogue logger (never gotten it to work after weeks of trying)

I'm not just randomly changing numbers and seeing if it drives better, I'm watching AFR and knocks (to make sure I don't get any) and adjusting it accordingly. Through adjustments in the tune I have I adjusted the AFR from 12 at idle and 10 at light throttle to running around the 14 mark and smoothly. I just can't figure out why it won't run under heavy throttle.

Hopefully that helps a bit.
Old 08-31-2016, 01:35 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Ok, now I think I'm on the same page as you. I don't have any experience utilizing an Ostrich in conjunction with the LR board but I really have to wonder if you're wrestling with a hardware issue. The Ostrich itself is a bit of simple brilliance in that it doesn't do anything but take the place of the stock EPROM chip and it either works or it does not. I utilized my Ostrich with both a stock AFM and a SciVision MAF which utilizes an in-line signal processor to provide a signal the DME will understand. Unless I'm way off again, my understanding is the M-Tune board accomplishes the same task of signal processing.

Your running issue sounds like the KLR is cutting timing due to knock. It looks like the only thing you're missing to be able to tune your Ostrich is the ability to data log. Do you have the ability to do real-time monitoring of AFR/RPM/TPS/MAF signals? If you can see those parameters in real time, you could have someone else drive while you modify the tune with the Ostrich.

Do you have the stock injectors or do you have something larger? I had a helluva time trying to get my fuel map dialed in when I had 88# injectors but it was a snap when I switched to 55# ones.

Quick Reply: So I'm starting to tune the car with Ostrich and could use some guidence