Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

1986 944 Turbo / Introduction and Hello

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 02:46 PM
Nashvegas
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 44 Posts
Default 1986 944 Turbo / Introduction and Hello

Hello everyone. I picked up an '86 944 Turbo, white with 39K miles. It's a bit of a time capsule. I'm pretty pumped. This is the car I wanted in 1986, as a kid.

I've been reading on the sidelines for a long while, and looked at every 944 Turbo that's come for sale for about a year. The ONLY thing that was stopping me was garage space... One house has a construction project for a garage. The other has a 1 car garage in the basement. And that spot is for my M3. So about a month ago I was pulling into the garage, and thought... hmm... I bet I could fit a narrower car in here. Tandem. And I figured out that a 944 is narrow enough to park between a wall and a pole. Yahtzee, that's all I needed. Go time for the P-car.

The plan is to keep it in the garage, drive it on weekends, to car shows, etc. Keep it bone stock, as it currently is, and fix up anything that needs attention. It's a 3rd car so won't get a ton of use.

Interestingly, the timing belt/water pump repair was done at a Porsche dealer in 2002. 2400 miles ago. So -- 2400 miles, but 14 years. Do I redo this now? Thoughts?

Here's a few photos of my journey to get the car and what I found when I brought it home... it's spotless and I'm super pleased.

My first look at the car in person:

Upon inspection and test drive... car exceeded my expectations. Turbo boosts well, AC works, literally everything works. Few minor trim things. Needs a proper perfect detail. Suspension feels a bit on the soft side -- maybe new struts/shocks (unsure what's on my '86). ? Could be that I'm just used to modern sports cars.

Dealer put it up on a lift for me to check out. I did my own PPI. I didn't remove the engine under covering, but... the car looks solid so... chancing it. No leaks I can see underneath. Only issue I could see is that one of the front jack points looks a little squished and the black plastic molding is bent. Someone was bad !!

BTW I didn't want to buy from a dealer, but the car checks out and has all history.

I wanted to drive it home (250 miles from NC to GA); however, was concerned that it's a 30 year turbo car with mostly original everything... and it was 105 degrees. SO I trailered it. BTW for towing, 510 hp and air suspension is awesome.

Total accident btw that the cars color coordinate. These are the only 2 white cars I've ever owned.

Also this model Range Rover has some cool software that eliminates trailer sway... I've towed a few times, but on this trip... I felt it apply the brakes when I was passing a truck going around 65.... Bonus, and I *was* driving very safely with the new precious cargo.

Definitely stopped at Ace Hardware in Gaffney NC (quite the cool little spot btw) to buy the blue tape. Worried about rocks. Probably more therapeutic than actually functional.

I've never owned a 30 year old car in such great shape with low miles... I figured you guys might want to see some of the cool stuff and details.

Window sticker, all maintenance, all keys, key tags. Totally dorking out on this. Also it's sort of cool that I'm a Nashville guy and this car started in Nashville.

2 keys. The little lights still work. Funny. 2 alarm keys. A wheel lock key I think... and .... What are the 2 little black rubber things on the keychain ?

Woot . Proud man made it home. Luckily my things were still in the house lol. Drive there took me 3:45. Drive home... 6 hours.

Last edited by Nashvegas; 07-24-2016 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-24-2016, 02:52 PM
Nashvegas
Racer

Default Underhood pics & details

First drive at home.

Let's start underhood. Looking pretty new, not a bit of corrosion anywhere. Really fun to see in this condition. Looks pretty perfect to me, except under the battery. Receipt from a Porsche dealer in 2002 indicates a repair there to "corrosion" and sure enough, there is. Battery leaked ?

Looks like I should spring for a new coolant tank huh? Crazing/cracking.

Anyone know what might have been here and was removed?

Can anyone tell if these fuel lines are original? They look to be... although I'm not yet an expert. If so, i think I'll want to replace pronto.

I guess this red paint means the original R12 (ice-freaking-cold btw) has never been touched / opened. Crazy.
Old 07-24-2016, 03:16 PM
Nashvegas
Racer

Default Interior and trunk !

I've spent more time fixing rust, random corrosion and whatever on my older cars. Taking care of this 944 is going to be a total treat I think. Here are some pics of interior, the trunk, and other little details.

Tons of vinyl. Front and rear seats look great. Looks like the car has never really been out in the sun.

Dashboard is uncracked (although I do see one VERY small crack starting that I didn't notice upon initial inspection, oh well, life goes on)

Cockpit looks good. Usual stuff. Little alignment issue on this HVAC trim panel I'll tackle. I've read about the clear baseplate here that cracks so I won't mess with it until I research.

Shift **** a little discolored. Not worn out, just changed color a bit. I'm wondering if I save this one for posterity and put a black leather new genuine replacement in. Not really feeling the red leather shifter.

Also hilariously both sunroof visor clips are broken, and the little broken off pieces were saved in the ashtray (which is unused, little rusty from 30 years of moisture I'm guessing). Thought this was funny.

Found this on the floor. It's a bumper for the glovebox that looks to have fallen off. Will re-install.

And to the rear!

I think the 99 in white on the spare is uber cool... no idea what it means but I dig it.

Really cool... toolkit, unused spare + jack.

And the build sticker. Psyched to have LSD.

In the little well on the right is a car cover bag (no car cover though) with the gloves to change tires and the air pump.

The gas flap. Nice.

And unleaded fuel only sticker.

And a little dent in the roof - will have PDR guy take care of that pronto I'm sure. BTW -- why does the rear glass have these little dimples across the top, evenly spaced?

Also the pass side rain gutter strip had 2 broken clips, so I removed it so that it didn't vibrate or worse, get caught in the door. Upon removal it was clean underneath, no corrosion or scuffing to the surface. Wiped with a rag and looks new. The Driver side is as it should be.

Old 07-24-2016, 03:40 PM
exe30
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations, looks like an amazing find! I have a white 86 turbo as well but it has definitely lived a much different life than yours!

I would do the timing belt anyway, it is a rubber part after all, and rubber doesn't always hold up great after 14 years.
Old 07-24-2016, 04:34 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Congrads. Welcome. I would do the water pump and belts if it was my car.

You can now buy new coolant tanks. I just saw this on the Porsche classic web site.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:43 PM
Dare
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is that header wrap I see? Not stock if so.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:41 PM
Nashvegas
Racer

Default Header wrap

Seeing the header wrap - you're right, good point - I wonder why. I'm going to investigate. Strangely nothing in any service records on this (in 2000 the exh manifold gasket was replaced).

So -- I just pulled it all off. Underneath is a nice, fairly good looking, what appears to be a shiny stock genuine exhaust manifold and header. So not sure why it was wrapped. The crossover wasn't wrapped, just each pipe coming off each cylinder. Here's the aftermath. The stuff almost crumbled in my hands. Have read bad stories about these wraps getting soaked with fluids and catching fire so glad it's out of there.

Partially removed

Totally removed

Hard to get a good photo but here tis with the wrap all removed

And the pile of crap on the floor post-removal.

Last edited by Nashvegas; 07-24-2016 at 08:11 PM.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:47 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome and nice find!
Old 07-24-2016, 08:55 PM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

You are missing the stock heat-shields on the headers my guess is that they were cracked at some point and re welded or not stock . If repaired they were to lazy to weld back the original shield .

should look something like this..
Name:  WP_20160704_19_15_32_Pro_zpsvq4uingl.jpg
Views: 1036
Size:  239.6 KB

That car is really clean congratulations
Old 07-24-2016, 09:28 PM
Nashvegas
Racer

Adonay - many thanks and good to know.

So I pull a receipt out of the thick file from 2002 from the Porsche dealer in Nashville TN - at the time called Thoroughbred Motorcars - and it says:

Replaced Exhaust manifold gaskets
Weld Pipes

At the bottom here. This is also when they did the timing belt and water pump. I do also find it somewhat amusing they used a rebuilt water pump, maybe the owner was in a tough spot. The rest of the receipts all appear to fall into the "cost is no object" category. -- which btw is pretty interesting... that an actual main dealer would weld pipes and not just replace with new - wow - actually I like it, just doesn't seem to be what any dealers do anymore.

I'm guessing they left it like this. SO I feel better it was a Porsche dealer, and not some dude in his backyard. Anyone see any concerns with me running without those heat shields ?
Old 07-24-2016, 09:42 PM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The original header was probably to costly for the owner and a weld repair was just a fraction of that prize ? I did run OBX headers for a while and i think i felt the heat radiation was much stronger with those. If it was placebo or not hard to tell as i never measured under hood temperatures to compare But you could see them glow red after a hard run while the heatshields will kind of hide that better.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:43 PM
e34nication
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Congrats on the new car, looks like a beauty.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:27 PM
E-man930
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those are NOT repaired factory headers or factory headers sans heat shields. Those look like aftermarket tubular 304 SS headers... I know the invoice states that they repaired them but I would like to take a closer look. Can you post a few additional pics by the flanges where they mate to the head? And maybe use a light to illuminate the areas? Please and thank you.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:27 PM
E-man930
Banned

I almost forgot, CONGRATS! That is one sweet 86 944 turbo! Join the 944 turbo Facebook group when you can. Thanks!
Old 07-24-2016, 10:30 PM
E-man930
Banned

Ok definely not factory headers... They don't follow the 1-4 outside Y pattern and the 2-3 inside Y pattern. Those look well designed from what I can see. More pics please.

Quick Reply: 1986 944 Turbo / Introduction and Hello