Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

1986 944 Turbo / Introduction and Hello

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 10:36 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Really nice looking car, the tell tale sign of low miles, well kept and original is that firing order sticker on the cam cover.

Replace the timing belt and balance shaft belt ASAP.

The fuel feed line with the crimped fitting looks original. The return line looks like it was replaced as it should be crimped at the hard line, hose clamp on the regulator side is normal.

If you have no record of it, replace the jumper line that runs from the fuel damper to the fuel rail. This line is prone to leaking and causing fires.

The header does not look original, the 1 and 4 cylinder section has a different layout. The original headers are prone to cracking at the merge collector and i think some '86 models had a different style header with no flex joint.. This is a common issue with the stock manifold, ive even seen cracks on the later style with the flex joint.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:53 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Was it Billy Boat headers that were available back in the late 90's early 2000's that looked like that??
Old 07-24-2016, 10:59 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Awesome car and welcome aboard! Change those belts ASAP!

That little unpainted hole by the battery is "original." Porsche had holes in the body there (don't know why, maybe part of the mfg process) but they covered them with little round stickers, then put seam sealer and paint over it all. Over the years, the little round stickers come off leaving a hole in the middle of primed circle like that. If you look right next to the shock tower on the same fender there is another one if you look closely.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:48 PM
Nashvegas
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 44 Posts

Interesting. And thanks to all for the superb info. I will definitely get better photos of the headers tomorrow.

Also looks like the consensus is replacing the 3 fuel lines, and redoing the timing belt (and all the associated things). Will do as soon as have the chance.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:23 AM
E-man930
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bet the first repair to the factory headers didn't last as most people don't know how to properly weld 400 series stainless. I'm thinking the PO then opted to replace the headers with these...

http://www.lindseyracing.com/mm5/mer...y_Code=HEADERS

Last edited by E-man930; 07-25-2016 at 09:36 AM.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:04 PM
Nashvegas
Racer

Default Taillight drains, gas door drain, sunroof drains / photos

Well, of course no car is perfect and one thing I've learned buying older cars is to check ALWAYS the drain tubes. This 944 probably won't ever see rain or exterior parking under my care but, car washes, unepected rainstorms, etc. I checked all drains, body, AC drain, sunroof drains, etc. I like a project .

Found 4 problems ! I'd advise everyone to check theirs.

AC DRAINS:
Ran the car with the AC on. Very humid out. Drains a ton of water. No problems. Been there done this on an old Land Rover Disco... ruined the car quite literally when a wiring harness rotted from AC draining in the car from new.

SUNROOF:
Took the sunroof out for the first time. That's interesting btw. Cool. Both drivers side sunroof drain tubes worked perfectly. Front passenger that drains into the battery tray area needed cleaning (I use a trumpet cleaner)... it's clean now, some debris came out. And the rear passenger drained into the rear body of the car to the right of the tire cavity. Not out the drain tube. Interesting. Reached up behind carpet... and the drain tube was unhooked at the 3 way join where the fuel door drain Y's into the sunroof drain tube. Hooked it back up and works great. Which led me to. ....

FUEL FILLER DOOR DRAIN:
Also- the fuel door drain was not draining, water would just sit there.

Aha. It's a rubber seal at the fuel filler door area, an elbow metal tube (blocked in my case with grit) and then a black rubber tube that joins the passenger rear (US) sunroof drain tube. Cleaned it out w/ a coat hanger after I broke my trumpet cleaner. Oh well. BTW the trumpet cleaner is genius for this. I bought for an old E93 M3 convertible.... Good as new. Ordered new rubber seal to replace the one at the bottom of the fuel door area since it was a bit deteriorated. BTW for water... fine. But a bit amusing that this just lets gas run out onto the ground if you overfill.

REAR TAILLIGHT DRAINS.
Looking at the drivers side rear taillight, I started noticing it was janky. Few cracks, crazing, and the white reverse lens was a bit darker colored. Water/condensation inside. Apparently it's common for water from the hatch pin to leak down into the taillights. There's a drain tube from the hatch pin, and if the drain tube is disconnected or cracked... water in taillight.

I found when I poured water in, the drain tube didn't drain. Upon further investigation, it wasn't clogged... it was kinked. Wonder if it's been this way since 1986? (probably)

SO -- Fixed.

But now the taillight. Beyond cleaning. The internal lens was just aged/the silver reflectivity was bad. Cracks. For cosmetic reasons only, I've sourced two new genuine taillights (didn't want to have one side be brighter than the other). Old one worked fine, but they weren't that expensive and I went ahead and bought. Apparently only drivers side is avail in US, so I ordered drivers and passenger side Euro lenses. figured I can swap out the rear metal light boards from my US lenses to Euro lenses (can anyone confirm ? )

.... also pics of cool time capsule stuff found in my trunk. !!!

Super old (no liquid left) unopened Alpine White touchup paint, and the tire changing gloves and I think a clear plastic bag in which the owner would put a tire after a change. Little grimy and dirty. I just put it all back. Maybe I'll clean it off soon.

Last edited by Nashvegas; 07-27-2016 at 06:52 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:12 PM
bobt4945
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

welcome congrats and nice find. don't forget to occasionally "drive it like you stole it" and enjoy.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:12 AM
OzJustin
Instructor

Congrats. Looks like you found a real gem!

I concur with the others. Definately do the belts and fuel lines purely for peace of mind. 14 years is a long time for perishable parts (even if living in a 'carcoon').
Old 07-29-2016, 09:22 AM
Nashvegas
Racer

Default 1986 White Paint Color Question

I noticed a bit of an odd disrepancy this morning as I was planning to order touchup paint. Nothing really but a bit amusing.

1) The original window sticker (photo inline above somewhere) says "GRAND PRIX WHITE" with paint code P1P1. I did check, window sticker is correct VIN and other options all are correct.

2) The touchup paint in the trunk was "ALPINE WHITE"

3) The build sticker in the trunk has paint code L90E, which is "ALPINE WHITE"

4) There's a little sticker underhood that says "ALPINWEISS" or something of the sort.

But reading here on the boards I find photos of white cars side by side, some more creamy, some more stark white with explanation of "Grand Prix" vs "Alpine". Maybe they're just wrong?

The touchup places all say they are the same. Just a different name ?
Old 07-29-2016, 10:04 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice, my favorite 951 - stock with low mileage. Keep it that way and enjoy. Best drivers car I have ever owned.
Old 07-29-2016, 02:01 PM
E-man930
Banned

Header pics?
Old 07-29-2016, 04:49 PM
chadcorn
Instructor

That's a super great find, congratulations and welcome to the best forum on earth for these cars!! As for the alpine white debate, I have a car that was optioned as l90e (alpine) with stickers and everything to show for it but I was told by the PO it was GP white. So I'm in the same boat, lol.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:23 PM
Nashvegas
Racer

Default Working on the header pics

Out of town at the moment but will get those header pics when I'm back next week ! Although I'm pretty excited because 2 or 3 boxes of parts showed up back home today with a few bits and pieces as follows. Goal is to keep the car as original / vintage 1986 as possible but replace anything that needs it...

-2 new sunvisor clips
-Little grommet for the fuel filler door train tube
-2 new sunroof triangular shaped bracket mounts (mine were cracked)
-L&R sunroof wind deflector brackets (also noticed little cracks in mine, probably fine as is but saw that they're available to purchase so went ahead and got them)
-New taillights (L&R) and taillight seals
-Decklid lock seal
-Drivers door interior light switch
-A couple of valve stem supports (noticed they were only on my rear Fuchs) for front wheels
Old 08-09-2016, 09:43 PM
E-man930
Banned

Nashvegas - email sent
Old 08-16-2016, 05:17 PM
rc512002
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Was this car at Hennessy today? If so very nice 944.

Quick Reply: 1986 944 Turbo / Introduction and Hello