Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 09:36 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by geno
get away with what?
Nothing wrong with that picture
Looks like they are stored in his living room, which is normally considered a portion of the female part of the house.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:40 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by odonnell
Yeah I'd love pics if you have them! I'm still on the fence about running full sequential or not. My NA car runs semi-sequential fuel and wasted spark ignition and it's smooth as cream, no cam trigger required. I'm aware of the differences on paper, but has anyone experienced real world improvement in a 944 engine with full sequential sync? That will dictate if I get a MSII versus another Microsquirt. The latter is a way easier install but only has 2 injector drivers.

A few other features I'll be incorporating are: electronic boost control w/ failsafe, E85 flexfuel (moving it over from the NA car), anti-lag, and knocksense MS for knock detection. I'll also be using spare outputs to drive the cooling fans (taking over operation from the fan switch to get programmable switch point). This is a great feature and my NA only needs one fan to stay cool now
What part of Houston are you located?
Old 06-21-2016, 02:59 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by rlm328
What part of Houston are you located?
Westchase district - you? I'm always down to grab a beer and turn wrenches.

get away with what?
Nothing wrong with that picture
What about this one

The 951 is cramping the garage, so I decided to move the motor inside. Besides, it's getting really hot out there and I want to do precision operations such as ring gapping in the air conditioned comfort of my own bedroom.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:11 PM
dzaprev
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I just picked this one up for my son 1986 951 !!! Runs like poop under boost . https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...66539771058956

Might need some help I'm a 928 guy . I may have to pick your brain odonnell
Old 06-21-2016, 07:24 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm going to go to the junkyard soon and grab a bunch of parts to mock up and play with. It may be next month, since I'm going offshore for work and there aren't many junkyards in the gulf of mexico.

Yesterday, picked up the Twist IIs I mentioned in an earlier post. Crazy 4-way deal... bought some Forgeline RS wheels locally, and a buddy in Killeen traded his 987 wheels for the twists. Then I traded the forgelines for the twists, everyone walked away happy.

And I'm really enjoying being a bachelor... no other way I could get away with s*** like this

My girlfriend wouldn't even flinch at that.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:57 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

More power to you for having a badass girlfriend! You're living the dream.

Pulled the head tonight... I guess the engine fire wasn't only thing ailing her.

The motor is group 1, so I'll be moving the pistons and rods into my almost-finished engine and drop that one in.
Attached Images   
Old 06-21-2016, 11:37 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

I am not far away. Let me know if you need any help or parts. I almost have enough parts in my garage to build a car.
Old 06-22-2016, 12:10 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

What's under the burned gasket?
I'd be very tempted to just clean the surface, new gasket and go.

More power to you for having a badass girlfriend! You're living the dream.

Pulled the head tonight... I guess the engine fire wasn't only thing ailing her.

The motor is group 1, so I'll be moving the pistons and rods into my almost-finished engine and drop that one in.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:41 AM
geno
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New project car: engine fire '86 951

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
Iirc he has a fresh turbo motor on the stand.
Either way, I want him to do whatever is quicker.
I need to keep his wiring hand strong so that he'll come up and finish my harness for me.

Mike, I just broke my 3.15L piggy bank poured it all on the bathroom remodel. I may button up the 2.5L but I'm giving myself 2 weeks to make a decision.
Old 06-22-2016, 04:12 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rlm328
I am not far away. Let me know if you need any help or parts. I almost have enough parts in my garage to build a car.
Awesome, thanks! I'll definitely hit you up. I'm interested in any performance parts, non-stock wastegates, BOVs, etc. My plan is to go to a twin-scroll crossover soon... we have about 5 people on board including an experienced fabricator.

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
It's what I expected down there, but nothing bad. This engine has multiple oil leaks, probably all original everything. Even if I ran this motor I would pull it to reseal it, and also to get access to the entire engine bay for a good cleaning and overhaul where needed.

Iirc he has a fresh turbo motor on the stand.
Either way, I want him to do whatever is quicker.
I need to keep his wiring hand strong so that he'll come up and finish my harness for me.

Mike, I just broke my 3.15L piggy bank poured it all on the bathroom remodel. I may button up the 2.5L but I'm giving myself 2 weeks to make a decision.
Just realized you're that Gene! Didn't know you were on here. That sucks about the 3.15... but definitely going to be involved on that harness. Here's the $20 TPS pigtail I was talking about:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOSCH-6-PIN-...9T2Udh&vxp=mtr

And yeah using the fresh engine. If the current 951 block is as ok as it seems, Doug will get it for use in his 951 build (no more excuses now doug!!)
Old 07-01-2016, 01:18 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Ordered round #1 of parts today. Unfortunately it'll be a few weeks before I can tear into them because of work travel.

- Strut mounts/bearings
- New steel control arms c/w parts needed to adapt them
- Ball joints and hardware
- Poly bushings for control arms and front sway
- Poly steering rack bushings
- Tie rod ends
- Steering rack boots
- Shift lever bushings
- Geno hooked me up with an Only944 shifter. My man!
- Fuel filter
- Cylinder head nuts
- Crank woodruff key
- New seals for the door handles
- New coolant reservoir
- New brake fluid reservoir + grommets
- ATE Typ 200 fluid
- Camshaft bolt
- Silicone vacuum hoses
- Coolant temp sensor for EFI
- Coolant temp sender for dash gauge
- Throttle body rebuild kit
- Aeroquip parts to make Push-Lok fuel lines, with heat shield sheathing. I would have gone with a normal $100 kit but I wanted to use angled fittings to delete the fuel damper, this ended up being the same price too.

So, I figure this is a good start for giving this 951 a new lease on life. When I get back to work on this, the head will go out for a rebuild, rack will be de-powered, and I'll have these new Falkens mounted on the Twist IIs. Later on down the line when the motor is in and I'm satisfied with the repair of fire damaged parts, I'll begin the megasquirt install
Old 07-03-2016, 02:17 AM
geno
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New project car: engine fire '86 951

- Geno hooked me up with an Only944 shifter. My man!
Glad it went to a good home. Waiting on the **** for my new shifter. If i end up needing a new boot I'll text you and give you right if refusal lol.

Got the new wheel mounted to the quick disconnect today :P
Name:  20160702_211159.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  167.1 KB
Old 07-03-2016, 03:02 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Sick!!

We're Momo buddies now lol

Old 07-04-2016, 03:11 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

After doing some research, I decided I'm going to go with Megasquirt 3 on this car. It retails for under $400, and I can add the MS3X card later to gain really powerful outputs and control options. Don't think I really need that now, honestly. The MicroSquirt I have in NA car is excellent and robust, but I want to take advantage of more advanced features and tuning options in MS3, which greatly benefit a boosted car. It comes unassembled (unlike MicroSquirt) but I aint scurred. I'm going to use a wideband (of course) for closed loop fuel, flex fuel (took if off my NA car) and start researching options for EBC. Grabbing some 80# Deka injectors as well.

Another area I'm working on is the turbocharger. Car has a stock K26/6 in great health (i suspect rebuilt) which I'll run for the time being. I have a HX35 I've been playing with but obviously that won't be a bolt on affair, so that'll come later. Maybe way later, since it's twin scroll, and I definitely want some of that action. Trying to track down a 12cm2 housing for it, or a Garrett T3 housing with a usable AR I can have machined to work. I currently have a way-too-big housing that yeilds an AR of 1.01-1.13 depending on which web resources you trust.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:09 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

I haven't updated this thread in quite a while. I'm more or less been away for work since late June, only back home for a few days here and there. During that time, I have mostly been turning my attention to the NA, which has gotten lots of love and preventative maintenance as well as minor upgrades here and there.

Nevertheless, I've been working on the 951 in the background. It's up on stands still but I'm making headway on the motor. I'm waiting on the head now, which is still with my machinist. I ended up using the '82 NA head, as my 951 head would have needed significant welding work due to coolant corrosion. I think the HG was blown for quite a while.

As far as the turbo setup, I am sticking with the HX35 and going with a 0.63 a/r hotside I purchased from Tim's Turbos. With minor clearancing (for the huge compressor housing) it bolts onto the mount. I'm having the hotside modified to a V band flange, so it'll bolt to an off-the-shelf aftermarket downpipe. The crossover is being modified to have a T3 flange, which isn't a huge deal.

As far as the rest of the system, I purchased a TiAl 38mm wastegate and a TiAl 50mm BOV with the weld neck flange. A good friend (Ak951 on here) will be opening up the end tanks on the stock intercooler, he did this for a local guy and it saw gains everywhere on back-to-back dyno runs, as high as 10-15wtq in the midrange. Shoot him a PM if you're interested, very reasonable price!

I've also been started gathering parts for the standalone. I have a full suite of 14point7 goodies (EGT, boost, and AFR gauges) installed in a LR 3-pod gauge plate that installs into the stock cubby hole. EGT sensor is already installed in the 2-3 header. The wideband controller is a MegaSpartan, which communicates to the MS ECU over CAN-BUS, which is by far the best and most accurate way for the ECU to get lambda input. For crank and cam pickup, I'm going to be going with Clewitt Engineering - it's a little more $ than the DIY setup on my NA, but I need absolute quality for a boosted application. This is a very well designed setup and I believe the investment will be worthwhile. The dual-wheel input will allow me to drive the Hayabusa COPs and Siemens 80# injectors in full sequential mode.

Lastly, I dropped the transaxle the last time I was home and discovered an Only944 linkage and pivot rod. Sweet! Exhaust is also off the car and I'm pulling other bits here and there at my leisure. I'm taking a few weeks off starting this next week, and hoping to have the entire engine bay stripped and cleaned to new condition by the new year.

Quick Reply: New project car: engine fire '86 951