spencang
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Yes, I do have a starter shield.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:51 PM
spencang
Rennlist Member

Car started right up, like usual and I went for a short drive today, just to make sure. It's all good now
Old 06-24-2016, 09:54 PM
Dave951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So what was the ultimate cause(s)? A combination of starter and alarm wiring?
Old 06-24-2016, 11:34 PM
spencang
Rennlist Member

I'm not sure. I took the starter out and cleaned all the wires first. Then I tested by connecting it to my battery, both the starter and the solenoid. They worked so I reinstalled it and the car started. The next day, the wouldn't start again. Then I bypassed the alarm and voila!
Old 06-28-2016, 11:27 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

Depending on the age of the starter, it could just be a "bad" spot internally. Oxidation on the armature, etc. will prevent the actual motor from turning like it's supposed to. Go over a bump or something (just to nudge the actual starter) and suddenly it'll work again.
Old 01-04-2017, 04:04 PM
spencang
Rennlist Member

So I have had intermittent starts, no starts where it never cranks, just one "click". The last time I drove it, it started and I drove it to work. On my way in, I turned on the lights and I noticed my voltage meter show the volts drop to about 10. I turned off the lights and made it to work without issues. When it was time to go home, I had to push it to jump start it. I could not jump it from the battery.

I did some research and assumed it was a faulty voltage regulator. I took out the starter and had it tested again. It tested good. I took out the alternator and tested it with the original voltage regulator and it tested bad. I replaced the voltage regulator and the alternator tested good. I reinstalled everything and ...still no start with just the single "click".

Could it be the cable? I have checked all of the grounds and my cables look good but I did try giving power straight from the battery to the cable connector inside the engine bay and I did it from the battery as well and still got the single "click"

Any suggestions will be appreciated. TIA
Old 01-05-2017, 12:46 PM
spencang
Rennlist Member

Bump-HELP
Old 01-05-2017, 01:39 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Have you confirmed the battery tests good and is fully charged? If not, do that first... Otherwise:

I'm not sure I follow:

(1) does the starter sometimes get full power and turn the motor quickly and intermittently get low power and/or just click,

OR

(2) does the starter always get low power and sometimes only click?

If it is always weak and/or just clicks, then put a multimeter on the battery terminals and compare how much voltage it has when running v when not running. You should see 12.5 volts or so when the motor isn't running, and over 13v when it is running. If either is low, then report back for more tests

If the starter is sometimes strong and sometimes dead, then that will take a bit more investigating to check cables and components, and can be frustrating since the problem comes and goes.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:24 PM
spencang
Rennlist Member

I just changed my battery tonight and I still got the same single "click". I can NOT start my car at this point.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:27 PM
spencang
Rennlist Member

I have a voltmeter but I don't know how to use the settings. The owners manual it came with is not helpful for someone who has never used one before. what setting do I put the voltmeter on to check the cables?
Old 01-06-2017, 12:15 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spencang
I have a voltmeter but I don't know how to use the settings. The owners manual it came with is not helpful for someone who has never used one before. what setting do I put the voltmeter on to check the cables?
They are all a little different. Maybe post picture of it and we can tell you. I have a Fluke auto-ranging multimeter, and highly recommend them....

As for your no start, if you put in a new fully charged battery and it still just clicked without spinning the starter, then I'd question the starter even though you said you tested it. Since it was an intermittent issue, maybe it just wasn't acting up when you tested and/or your test didn't simulate the load it sees in the car. Other than that, maybe the harness from the battery to the alternator and starter is bad or loose. Have you pulled the duct off the back of the alternator and confirmed the connections there are tight? Also the ground on the wall in front of the battery.

A long long time ago in high school auto shop class we had a car that had a similar issue. Starter would click or occasionally grind no matter what the owner tried. Turned out the motor had seized. Doubt that's your issue though.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:18 AM
spencang
Rennlist Member

watched youtube on the multimeter, tested the battery cables at the terminals and got exactly 12.5. I'm thinking that I should do the same thing at starter. I will try that in the morning, otherwise, what's next?
Old 01-06-2017, 12:22 AM
spencang
Rennlist Member

I took out the alternator and replaced the voltage regulator and made sure the connections were solid there. I will check the actual starter connections again in the morning when I check the volts there as well.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:05 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

If all the connections and voltages check out, I'd probably try a spare starter motor -- or take yours to O'Reilly's and have them test it for free. I could loan you a spare for testing if needed...

Quick Reply: Start then No start. Help!