Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Koni sport front strut.

Old 06-03-2016, 10:28 AM
philip77o
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Koni sport front strut.

Hi, is there anything wrong with cutting a factory koni strut to do the koni insert ? Can it be done like on a sasch strut ? I removed the driver side from the car and I can read 951 343 031 02, not sure if it's m030 or m474.

I've heard you can send them to koni or true-choice but I dont feel like waiting all summer for that. I tried contacting Paragon on wednesday with no answer yet.

Thank you
Old 06-03-2016, 10:35 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

Surely someone has an early strut housing pair laying around ?
Old 06-03-2016, 03:11 PM
philip77o
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah that would be an option. But just want to make sure it's doable on a factory koni strut because I'm about to order the inserts
Old 06-04-2016, 01:30 PM
jc in rb
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes you can cut the factory koni's. paragon does these .if you have adjustable ride hight they are 030's if they are just the yellow struts with the fixed spring seats they are m474. mine are (were 474's had paragon cut and ad adjustable ride kit .
Old 03-13-2017, 02:48 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Installing these myself right now and hit a question I haven't found an answer to so far.

The top lock nut on the strut changes from the original, which had an Allen type hole at the top you could hold while holding a (22mm?) locknut to remove the top cap on the strut. The replacement (adjustable) insert has an external hex fitting (13mm?) and the same 22mm locknut.

Does anyone know what the torque settings should be for the locknut? The manual says (I think) 150 +/- 30 nm, but that's for the original insert. Is that the correct torque for the new inserts? Seems high to me. Maybe just some number of threads showing? Seems that if it's completely engaged, torque really shouldn't matter?
Old 03-15-2017, 04:01 PM
beamishnz
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

My understanding is that the non M030 Koni struts had removable/replaceable cartridges so no need to cut. (I might be wrong here and happy to be corrected). If you have the M030 adjustable height struts these can be cut and made to work with the inserts but it seems a shame to do that to a fairly rare and desirable strut. ProParts USA have taken over the rebuild/refurbish service form Koni USA and are appointed Koni service agents and they offer a rebuild service for these struts. Turn round is approx 1 month. I have a set in with them now. this is what they advise re pricing: "the cost would $155.00 + parts per shock. Parts typically run 50-60 dollars each." There service includes striping and repainting the strut body and re applying the triangular period correct Koni decal. So in theory they should came back looking and working like new.

I'll report back when I receive mine.

Last edited by beamishnz; 03-15-2017 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:43 PM
beamishnz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by beamishnz
My understanding is that the non M030 Koni struts had removable/replaceable cartridges so no need to cut. (I might be wrong here and happy to be corrected). If you have the M030 adjustable height struts these can be cut and made to work with the inserts but it seems a shame to do that to a fairly rare and desirable strut. ProParts USA have taken over the rebuild/refurbish service form Koni USA and are appointed Koni service agents and they offer a rebuild service for these struts. Turn round is approx 1 month. I have a set in with them now. this is what they advise re pricing: "the cost would $155.00 + parts per shock. Parts typically run 50-60 dollars each." There service includes striping and repainting the strut body and re applying the triangular period correct Koni decal. So in theory they should came back looking and working like new.

I'll report back when I receive mine.
Correction: Just spoken to them and they are now on 5 - 6 week turn round. P
Old 03-16-2017, 07:15 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Correction: Just spoken to them and they are now on 5 - 6 week turn round. P
Thanks, but the struts have already been rebuilt, no need for the service you suggest.

I'm only looking for advice on the torque settings for the top lock nut. After some research I've concluded it is 59 ft/lbs on a lock nut that is completely engaged (bottomed out). I believe this is correct as there is no other lower setting that might work.

Thanks,
Old 03-17-2017, 04:04 PM
beamishnz
Rennlist Member

my post was addressed to the original post
Old 03-18-2017, 05:35 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

OK. Well, Paragon also offer the same service and I think the turn time is a bit shorter now.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:38 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

As an aside, I believe the correct torque setting is 59 ft/lbs. The nut is completely engaged then torqued to 59'/#s

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Koni sport front strut.