Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

oil pressure gauge needle shaking

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 10:06 AM
yoramw
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default oil pressure gauge needle shaking

I have searched and read a few post here in the forum about such issues, but I am not sure if they are identical to mine, So I apologize on bringing up a topic that was already discussed multiple times...

Here is a video done mainly at idle with A/C off (I slightly pressed the gas pedal in the middle to show the behavior) and get some expert opinion on what to check:

Things I have ready so far and not sure which are relevant and where to start:

1. Clean grounds (is it the grounds that the sender is connected to)?
2. Clean connections on the gauge
3. Replace oil pressure sender unit
4. Replace gauge itself
5. I have a real problem with oil pressure at the engine and my rod bearings are at risk...

While driving oil pressure is pretty high up there near 5, but on idle, I see such behavior and when rpm drops (like when I just release the gas pedal or if I turn on AC, the needle drops nearly all the way down and jumps between 1 & 3)
Old 06-01-2016, 06:46 PM
Dave W.
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You're on the right track. The bouncing is a common issue with the gauges, caused by poor/old grounds and /or deteriorating contacts in the gauge itself.
It's hard to tell if you have an oil pressure problem yet. Oil pressure at hot idle should be around 2.5 to 3.5 bar. The bounciness may be covering up the actual pressure reading. I'd recommend cleaning all grounds and electrical connections to the gauge and sender, then see how the gauge behaves.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:54 PM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

6. Loosen the nut and retighten on the back of the oil pressure gauge coming through the gauge housing. Make sure the contact is clean.

Quick Reply: oil pressure gauge needle shaking