Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Oil leak problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 04:35 PM
philip77o
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak problem

Hi, I have this oil leak that I'm trying to get rid of. It leaks enough to create a small drop that fall on the ground maybe 1 drop every 30sec. I'm 90% sure it comes from the lower part of the oil filter housing, under the OPRV. It only leaks once the engine is running and get warm. The only other part that could be leaking is the balance shaft housing, but could it leaks from the upper side? I don't think there enough oil pressure inside the BS housing that could cause a leak upward. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Does the oil filter housing have coolant passing in it or the oil is cooled with air on the bumper oil cooler ? I'm a little confused about this part compare to N/A engine or maybe later model 951. The part # is 951 107 151 0R.

Thank you in advance
Old 04-12-2016, 05:35 PM
PorscheFanatic202
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree. I don't think it is leaking upwards from the balance shaft cover. Is there a drip line from any of the things that bolt into the oil cooler housing (ie the OPRV or the oil pressure sensor or any of the oil line fittings). If not, i think the oil cooler housing gasket need a replacement. I don't think it is that hard of a job, although I do have my engine on the stand. Let me know if you need any pics for reference.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:33 PM
philip77o
Instructor

The OPRV bolt, oil pressure sensor and fittings are fine. I cleaned the area really well and had a good look where the oil start to leak. It starts from the lower right side where the bolt is and it makes it way to the left as the arrows shown. Sorry the picture is on the wrong side I don't know why it automaticly rotates 90 degree.

Old 04-14-2016, 12:49 PM
philip77o
Instructor

I'm wondering if something has cause the oil filter housing gasket to fail. I noticed that when I start the car oil pressure is at 5 for a good 10 minutes of idling, then it will only drop to 4.2... It's around 50°F outside and I run castrol gtx 20w50 but I think it should idle at lower oil pressure ?

Can the OPRV can be stuck in a way that it will build too much oil pressure and make the oil leak outside the oil filter housing ? ( I think it still have a early OPRV with the 17mm head)
Old 04-17-2016, 06:05 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by philip77o
I'm wondering if something has cause the oil filter housing gasket to fail.
I've seen them leak, twice now. Was fooled both times. I think leaks from there are more common than expected but maybe get mis-diagnosed. ...Bruce

Quick Reply: Oil leak problem