Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Great day at the track

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 01:16 AM
JET951
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Great day at the track

Yesterday , Eastern Creek ( Sydney Motorsport Park )GP Circuit , NSW Australia , Porsche Club NSW SuperSprint No 1 for the year
Weather conditions , normal for February , humid and warm to hot partly overcast , high track temps but not excessive

Good turn out with some 70 or so Porsche's & thankfully ( to my knowledge ) no cars damaged by accidents ( hitting barriers etc ) , just the usual spin offs with little damage

It was good to see Patrick Garvan & Paul McKinnon there with Pat's 944 Turbo Time Attack car , but unfortunately the 951 got a misfire after just a few laps in the warm up in the morning , possibly a lash cap had come off( very modified head ) , but will find out more this week etc

Sean Buchanan had put together a 3.0L 8 V engine for Mark Bloxham (this is for Mark's "Mexico Blue" 1986 951 , naturally this was a 2.7 944 engine ( Mark purchased this 2.7L engine 2nd hand) that Sean dismantled & rebuilt with custom Wossner pistons & custom rods & a 2nd hand 3.0L crank , but apart from pistons & rods etc & the metal had gasket it was all original 2.7 parts internally , meaning standard cam , valves & springs etc etc , we even use new standard 944 plastic oil baffle ( no dry sump ) & we just use the same crankcase vent system Sean made for the 2.5L engine the car previously had
Externally the engine received some very trick exhaust headers & X under Pipe that Paul McKinnon fabricated ( Evolution Motorsports, Sydney ) to mount up to the Vitesse Stage 5 turbo

Sean assembled the engine & then doing some calculations , made some mounting brackets to mount the R/H/D steering shaft onto the engine itself , so when Paul had the assembled engine he knew where to build the headers around the steering shaft ( nice idea Sean ) so when finished the R/H/D steering shaft fitted perfectly when the engine went into the car
The engine also received a nice custom alloy inlet manifold & throttle body & naturally , like Sean's Twin Cam 16V 3.0L engine , Mark's car also runs E 85 fuel

So yesterday was the first day at the track for Mark's 3.0L 8V , Sean had finished off the air fuel ratios on the dyno a week before this was its first shake down test

It was great to see both Mark in his Mexico Blue 3.0L 951 & Sean in his Black 3.0L 951 getting faster and faster during the early track sessions , they were both in the same speed group ( speed group 1 ) with most of the GT3's , be it full race GT3's on slick tyres or "R" specs , it all depends on the owners / drivers what class they want to be in , in the case of Sean & Mark they are in Class 1 = road legal "R" spec tyres are required , where as Open Class( proper race cars) = Slick race tyres are required , then below class 1 , there is class 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 etc ,all power to weight ratio classes

Sean in his 951 was being shadowed by Mark in his 951 , so when Sean overtook another 911 ( usually a GT3) Mark would normally follow suite when possible & it was also interesting to watch both cars as Sean's 951 weighs quite a bit more than Marks 951 , but they have similar suspension ( MCS ) and same gear ratios & same 4 plate motorsport diffs & particularly how their engines respond as Sean's is a twin cam 16V 3.0L & Mark's is a 8V 3.0L and both on the same E85 & both running Vitesse Stage V

Sean did a PB ( personal Best ) time for the circuit ( for "R" specs ) on the day & I think Mark would have done the same , Sean won Class 1 for the day & I think he came in 4th outright in the line up of fastest Porsche's there on the day & I am fairly sure Sean's 951 was the quickest road registered Porsche on the day that drives to work 6 days a week ( commuting Porsche ) & both Sean & Mark drove to the circuit with their "R" spec tyres on the car , none of the lets swap the wheels and tyre on the day , nope, drive there , put the track suite & helmet on & go racing in a 30 year old Porsche , that is not meant to be up at the pointy end of outright results against the latest GT3's ( quite amusing actually )

Here is a quick list of the next 15 Porsche's that came in behind Sean's 951 ( best lap time)

GT3
991GT3
991GT3 3.8
Marks 3.0 951
996GT3
991GT3
997GT3
991GT3
981 Cayman
911 RSR Replica
996GT3
991CS
Cayman GT4
Cayman Comp
911 RSR Replica

I will get Sean to put up some photos in the next two days & Sean may have some in car video footage to put up as well

Many Thanks to all the volunteers who turned up yesterday to help out & a big thanks to John Vitesse for his fantastic stage V

Regards
Bruce Buchanan
Buchanan Automotive

Last edited by JET951; 02-21-2016 at 06:55 AM. Reason: spelling mistakes
Old 02-21-2016, 01:56 AM
944crazy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice work guys...I was having a look on natsoft and those are two very quick 951's indeed! Wish I was down your way so I could see them in action.
Old 02-21-2016, 06:32 AM
blade7
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Nice write up, and a little surprising although lighter the 8v 3.0 kept the 16v 3.0 in sight.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:27 AM
JET951
Drifting

There is around 170 - 200 Kg difference in weight between the two 951's , Sean's 951 is mainly a drive to work car & has all the comfort things you need in a car you drive every day , like ]

Full sound insulation everywhere & full standard carpets , even rear seat belts and the base of the rear seats

4 speaker sound system & head unit & full electric ( last century ) auto aerial

Full ( standard glass ) no plastic windows ( Marks 951 has a lightweight rear plastic window)

Standard electric windows ( Marks has the 968 CS type ) manual wind up windows

Sean's engine weighs a bit more , the twin cam head + the twin cams / 16 valve set up weighs a bit more than the reasonably light weight 8V head

Sean's 951 has the standard sunroof ( the fibre glass removable roof weighs a ton )with all the standard electric bits to make it work ( motor & trans / cables etc etc ), Marks car has a non sunroof panel

Sean's only weight saving item is the single skin carbon bonnet ( front lid ) he made himself , so that saved about 20 KG , but we had to add 4 ( four ) bonnet catches and their fabricated steel brackets , so that put back on about 5 to 7 Kg , Sean's 951 weighed in about two years ago at 1375KG , she maybe 1360 KG now , she is no lightweight , because she is a road car with A/C and the works & Sean's car ( like Marks 951) has heavier front brakes than the small standard 1986 ones & Sean's car runs at the track larger heavier( read inexpensive ) wheels than the standard little dia lightweights the 1986 one had as a road car , this all adds weight & for the track that is not good

We think ( we have not yet compared back to back dyno comparisons ) that Sean's twin cam 16V may produce more possible power up top , but the 8V feels more powerful at lower revs , meaning she will produce more torque coming out of corners , but then again the 8V can be adjusted to produce even more power up top , but its that quick now I think she is close to perfect

The one thing I haven't mentioned is that neither of these cars run a dry sump , we never have , but we run quite good crankcase ventilation & large oil coolers , but more important than that is the need for oil film strength & these engines need very high oil film strength engine oils , so for years and years we run high ZDDP racing oils that are higher than 25W-60 in viscosity , read into that what you will , and do not think we run full 20 lap races , we do not , these engines are designed for the club events , say 3 to 4 laps flat out , because by then the owner is completely exhausted and wants to come in anyway , remember these are high output club event cars that have to be flexible & easy to drive & can be maintained without a team of guys for each car ( like the 996/997 GT3RSR )

Sean built his 3.0L 16V E85 engine about 4 years ago ( I think ) and we just do periodic maintenance to it , like oil changes after every event , cam belt / rollers every year , new metal head last about every 1.5 years , we have even removed the sump about 1.5 years into the competition events to inspect the big end bearings ( conrod bearings ) and they were like new , even the bores are like new ( head gasket change time ) , and why is this so }

Answer } Engine Oil Film Strength & last century Porsche engines run hand in hand , I have picked up a few hints in the last 39 years working on Porsche sports cars 6 days a week

Regards
Bruce Buchanan
Buchanan Automotive

Last edited by JET951; 02-21-2016 at 07:36 AM. Reason: add content
Old 02-21-2016, 08:04 AM
blade7
Drifting

Does Sean run the 25w-60 oil for road use, and is your crank ventilation and oil cooler setup common knowledge?
Old 02-21-2016, 08:17 AM
JET951
Drifting

Yes , Sean runs the 25W-60 ( + extra ) all year round , remember our climate is mild in winter & hot in summer
Crankcase ventilation is nothing unusual , just a good set up that we like to use & make ourselves , but I stress , its not groundbreaking , like all things that work , its quite straight forward

Oil cooler is a 963 / 993 oil cooler & we simply remove the fog / driving lamp on the track day to give the much bigger oil cooler more air through the hole we cut behind the fog/driving lamp & at the end of the track day we just put it back in ( takes less than 3 minutes )

All very simple stuff , we are not trying to reinvent the wheel , just make the wheel go faster & reliably

And as the saying goes "results talk for themselves " , Sean has in his 1986 951 ( since 2006 ) has won the PCNSW Drivers Championship 4 times( maybe more I couldn't be bothered to look it up ) & the Motorkhana Championship 5 times( I remembered that one ) & the Supersprint Championship once , reliability plays a big part of winning championships ( Major Part )& the correct engine oil viscosity /oil film strength is that MAJOR part

Regards
Bruce Buchanan
Buchanan Automotive

Last edited by JET951; 02-21-2016 at 08:37 AM. Reason: add content
Old 02-21-2016, 09:47 AM
ab54666
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very interesting, for someone who is about to embark on building a 3.0l 8v engine for my 968 it's good to hear of such power and reliability.
Old 02-21-2016, 02:49 PM
blade7
Drifting

Originally Posted by JET951
Yes , Sean runs the 25W-60 ( + extra ) all year round , remember our climate is mild in winter & hot in summer
Crankcase ventilation is nothing unusual , just a good set up that we like to use & make ourselves , but I stress , its not groundbreaking , like all things that work , its quite straight forward

Oil cooler is a 963 / 993 oil cooler & we simply remove the fog / driving lamp on the track day to give the much bigger oil cooler more air through the hole we cut behind the fog/driving lamp & at the end of the track day we just put it back in ( takes less than 3 minutes )

Regards
Bruce Buchanan
Buchanan Automotive

Any issues mounting the 993 cooler, I was told it's a fair bit bigger than the standard one. Also is your crankcase ventilation set up plumbed back into the intake ?

Paul.
Old 02-21-2016, 04:14 PM
964-C2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the write up. Very impressive!
Detailed information of the crankcase breather system would be very interesting...
What boost pressure are theese two 951's running?
Thanks.

Last edited by 964-C2; 02-21-2016 at 06:30 PM.
Old 02-21-2016, 05:57 PM
74goldtarga
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 68 Posts

Sounds like a great day. Encouraging that you are getting good performance and reliability and competing with newer GT3s.

What oil do you use specifically? I have been using Millers nano drive.

What level do you fill the oil? - I have been told by a very experienced builder / professional mechanic and shop owner / track record holder in 944/951 to fill the oil above the top mark at all times - was told this after I lost my last engine. With my last engine I would half fill the catch can when I had the oil at this level but I ended up losing the engine due to rod bearing failure with the oil at a lower level.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:03 PM
JET951
Drifting

Hi Paul , to fit the 993 / 964 oil cooler , you have to reposition the power steering oil cooler ( we mount a slim one else where ) , we install the smaller washer tank without headlight washers ( 944 628 060 00 ) & some cutting is needed in where the larger oil cooler will go & we fabricate all the securing bracket & we modify a new oil pipe ( 951 207 112 02 ) cut , bend & re-weld to get a good position & new oil hoses

And yes the crankcase ventilation is finally plumbed back into the air intake

The thing we find important is we make a custom catch can mounted as high as possible with two large dia hoses breathing into it ( one from the standard breather bottle ( but opened up more ) & the other from top of the twin cam cam cover ( 16V ) or the cam box (8V )

Regards
Bruce Buchanan
Buchanan Automotive
Old 02-21-2016, 08:16 PM
JET951
Drifting

Hi 74Goldtarga , we have been using for years and years the very inexpensive readily available Valvoline Racing 25W-60 engine oil , plus ( you will love this bit ) we also install a good old fashioned ( a bit like me ) USA made product that really works and has been around for 50 odd years + ( STP Blue ) , meaning the STP that comes in the Blue plastic bottle 15 FL OZ bottle

We use 1 bottle per 4 litres of Valvoline racing engine oil , very important ( for us ) to keep the engine oil temp to below 115 Deg Cel , hence why we run a in car oil temp gauge , very basic , but its a good quick reference point for us to see quickly

Remember , this is ideal for us with what we do , meaning 3 , 4 or 5 laps ( flat out ) and then we are in for 30 - 40 minutes + ( pits ) resting and waiting for the next session

The combination of the very honest Valvoline Racing ( in Australia ) its 25w-60 & the STP , thats been around as long as I have been on the earth works well , in fact very well

Regards
Bruce Buchanan
Buchanan Automotive
Old 02-21-2016, 08:56 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 25-60 must be a down under Valvoline offering. Redline and Motul make a 20-60 which are available in the US.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:19 PM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad the event went without issues. Thanks for the informative post Bruce - sharing your and Sean's cars. Neat these "underachievers" continue to prove Porsche engineering mandates back when these cars were designed. Today there isn't a high end auto manufacturer not offering small displacement engines with forced induction in even their top tier platforms.

The Lincoln Continental in the USA with a 2.0 inline 4 is selling well here in the US. There are a few Ford engineers from back in the day, in your part of the world, designing well designed - turbo engines. The Sierra has been a dedicated racing Ford product for decades outside of the US.

Regards,

G
Old 02-21-2016, 09:43 PM
JET951
Drifting

Hi 964-C2 , Sean runs 22 PSI boost pressure & we think the Mexico Blue ( Marks 951 ) was on 19 or 20 PSI , with a lot more potential yet

------------

Many thanks for you're comments George , you have a similar opinion to me in regards to what manufactures did & could do and what they do to survive today

Regards
Bruce Buchanan

Quick Reply: Great day at the track