Voltage Problem Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 03:10 PM
Molly
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Voltage Problem Part 2

See https://rennlist.com/forums/newreply...e=1&p=12884093

Thought it was solved, but nope. Voltage still spikes to the top, car gets sluggish instantly, as if I let off the gas, but engine does not stumble at all. And the headlights glow like offroad xenons when spiking. Lasts for maybe 8 seconds then stops. Usually a swift blip of gas will kill it. And it's now accompanied with a blood curdling screech, like a belt squeal plus a shot of terrible grinding rattling noise. Much worse on cold days but happens all the time... cold / warm / hot, engine just started / running for an hour, etc. Totally random. And now my voltage always sits around 12 when not spiking.

So the obvious culprit is the alternator bearings I guess. And when they drag, the belt drags, thus squealing, and dragging the motor down too. I hate to pull that out only to find it was something else.

Any ideas?
Old 02-05-2016, 04:12 PM
Alan 91 C2
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

You are correct about the belt screech. But not from bearings. The alternator regulator is failing. When the regulator pushes for max amps, the belt screams. Replace the regulator. Low difficulty.

Alternators last about 100K miles, more or less. If you are there, replace the alternator.

Quick Reply: Voltage Problem Part 2