Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Project 944 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 11:37 AM
Moving3e
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it looks good in yellow ! Great start on the wheels. Clean her up and post pucs
Old 01-12-2016, 02:07 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

He may not have a choice with the fiberglass header panel. With all the other LR stuff in the engine bay I would hazard a guess that there maybe an over sized inner cooler which requires the larger panel.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:17 PM
MockngBrd
Instructor

He may not have a choice with the fiberglass header panel. With all the other LR stuff in the engine bay I would hazard a guess that there maybe an over sized inner cooler which requires the larger panel.
Unfortunately for me, you are right

i was poking around and after reading through the forums, i suspect it might be a LR stage V intercooler...... -___-" (i know many here might think it's a good thing, but i really would prefer a car as stock as possible, and i really want the have the original nose panel back in place)

Does anyone know if the intercooler can be moved downwards to fit the original nose panel? Or do i have to buy an original (probably used) intercooler?

I think also at this point, the costs are starting to add up more and more, so i might not change it's color after all. Gonna get the wheels refurbed and re-tyred soon.

Last edited by MockngBrd; 01-13-2016 at 03:36 AM.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:46 PM
MockngBrd
Instructor

Parts starting to arrive from the other side of the Globe

Update: also pulled the trigger on a used stock intercooler....

Last edited by MockngBrd; 01-14-2016 at 02:17 AM.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:35 PM
MockngBrd
Instructor

Parts are starting to arrive and just had the wheels removed. Will be sending them off for refurb and new rubber.

Off to the body/paintshop tomorrow

Old 01-22-2016, 02:04 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 408 Posts

Nice. What is the going price for 944 or turbo in Singapore? Arent cars overpriced x50 there?
Old 01-24-2016, 11:38 PM
MockngBrd
Instructor

Wheels not in the best of shape but the shop promised to do the best they can

Wheel centers (and inner rims) will be painted Porsche Seal Grey 6B5, outer will be cleaned up and polished a bit.

Nice. What is the going price for 944 or turbo in Singapore? Arent cars overpriced x50 there?
Very very much. There are very few left, so there's not "average price" per say. The $$$ we paid for this, it's prob enough to get a rather nice one in the States or even the UK. But over here, it's considered quite a bargain for a "car".

Last edited by MockngBrd; 01-25-2016 at 12:09 AM.
Old 01-25-2016, 12:42 AM
EliteThink
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yellow looks great.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:23 PM
MockngBrd
Instructor

Update;

Just a week ago, the wheels of Project 944 were removed and sent to the paint shop. Today, it's time to collect them and get new rubber fitted before we deliver them back to R2D (the name of the workshop we are using) once again.

When we first delivered them to our favorite body/paint shop, we discovered that not only were the centers in need of a new coat of paint, but the inner barrels we all badly pitted and corroded. So the decision was made to paint them as well.

And after much color scrutinizing over coffee, we finally chose to go with Porsche Seal Grey Metallic. Color code 6B5.

After a week in the paint shop, here's the wheels now.

Not to shabby eh? Unfortunately, having chrome outer lips did mean that nothing much could be done to fix up the kerb marks and scuffs introduced by our 944's previous owners. Perhaps a wheel rim protector might work to hide the blemishes, but we'll leave that to a much later stage of the rebuild.

With the rims collected, it was time to hit the tire shop and get some rubber fitted.

Having tried them out on our 1-Series (seen in our pictures undergoing cargo hauling duties), we selected to go with Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 2 tires once again. Interestingly, even though i intentionally went 1 size down all around, the tires still look rather chunky. Maybe i should have gone 2 or 3 sizes down. I was hoping for a very very slight stretch. Oh well.

Wheels loaded back onto our 1-er it was time to head back to R2D.

We also took the opportunity to deliver the rest of the parts arrived over the course of the week. It's quite amazing the amount of cargo you can squeeze into a 1-Series.

Stancenation bro! (or Paris Dakar, like another forummer mentioned...) With the wheels and all parts delivered, Project 944 will soon be wheeled into the workshop where the real work will now commence...
Old 01-30-2016, 12:41 PM
944crazy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those wheels turned out gorgeous! Tires are the right size too I reckon, any smaller and they will look too stretched.

I think once you've fitted the wheels and given the car a wash you'll be in love with it. It's gonna look great!

Last edited by 944crazy; 01-30-2016 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-30-2016, 03:05 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rim halfs are not chrome but polished aluminum, you can fix the cosmetic damage by either welding or use a epoxy similar to jb weld and polish it smooth
Old 01-30-2016, 10:58 PM
EliteThink
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

looks awesome.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:37 PM
MockngBrd
Instructor

Originally Posted by 944crazy
Those wheels turned out gorgeous! Tires are the right size too I reckon, any smaller and they will look too stretched.

I think once you've fitted the wheels and given the car a wash you'll be in love with it. It's gonna look great!

Thanks for the photoshop hahaha
Old 02-02-2016, 10:21 PM
MockngBrd
Instructor

Our daily driver popped an engine check light, so it was another trip down to the workshop... nothing much done other than the wheels went back on the car. (There's going to be a long holiday weekend so there's quite a lot of cars going in and out this week, so poor yellow pig is all out of hoist)

But here's how she looks with the wheels. (Car will be lowered with H&R springs during the rebuild) Quite cool what a difference a fresh set of tyres and repainted wheels make.

Not quite...

And consolidated parts, all that is missing are new Bilstein shocks that have been ordered locally and front/rear glass that will need to be done at another location further down the build.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:33 AM
MockngBrd
Instructor

Playing around in photoshop

Rubystone 944???!!!

red

black

Quick Reply: Project 944 Turbo