Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Newbie in Chattanooga area looking for connections/help - 951S

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 11:54 AM
Signalmtb
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie in Chattanooga area looking for connections/help - 951S

Hi, new to the forum and I live in Chattanooga TN. I drove a '84 944 n/a in high school and recently back in the P cars with an '88 951S silver/rose (will post pics as soon as I take delivery this weekend). I'm introducing myself but also looking for mechanic support in the area. I know there is German Autohaus. Are they reputable? Any others? I would like to do some of the work myself, starting with timing and balance belts (water pump is good), but I don't have a lift or the experience on these cars. Any suggestions of PCA members local to me that I might connect with?

Last edited by Signalmtb; 08-26-2015 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:50 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on the purchase! I'm just down the road in Atlanta. You should come with us to the 944 Fest at VIR!
Old 08-26-2015, 11:40 PM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Signalmtb
Hi, new to the forum and I live in Chattanooga TN. I drove a '84 944 n/a in high school and recently back in the P cars with an '88 951S silver/rose (will post pics as soon as I take delivery this weekend). I'm introducing myself but also looking for mechanic support in the area. I know there is German Autohaus. Are they reputable? Any others? I would like to do some of the work myself, starting with timing and balance belts (water pump is good), but I don't have a lift or the experience on these cars. Any suggestions of PCA members local to me that I might connect with?
Shelbyville, TN and Goodletsville,TN. Both are a good drive for you but not a big deal on a Saturday. Just PM me if you need something.
I have 3 P cars and the guy in Goodletsville has....many...
Old 08-27-2015, 10:45 AM
drew944
Advanced

Welcome to the fun world that is 951 ownership! I sold my 951 a couple years ago, but I am a local and was a PCA member for a little. There are a couple guys that are very knowledgeable in the PCA (one has a 951 race car and the other has a SPEC 944) so you could find some help joining up. Echoing what was already said, the guy in Goodletsville, if it's the guy I know (how many 944 guys could their be in Goodletsville?), is a 944/951 wizard. PM me if you want his contact info. There are also a couple garages out in the Ooltewah/Collegedale/Apison area that are pretty good and knowledgeable on cars like this. I'll make sure to introduce myself if I see your car bouncing around and you feel free to do the same. I drive a big yellow HJ45 Troopy (looks like an FJ40 but longer, diesel, and Right Hand Drive; you can't miss it).
Old 08-27-2015, 11:37 AM
Signalmtb
Banned

Originally Posted by drew944
Welcome to the fun world that is 951 ownership! I sold my 951 a couple years ago, but I am a local and was a PCA member for a little. There are a couple guys that are very knowledgeable in the PCA (one has a 951 race car and the other has a SPEC 944) so you could find some help joining up. Echoing what was already said, the guy in Goodletsville, if it's the guy I know (how many 944 guys could their be in Goodletsville?), is a 944/951 wizard. PM me if you want his contact info. There are also a couple garages out in the Ooltewah/Collegedale/Apison area that are pretty good and knowledgeable on cars like this. I'll make sure to introduce myself if I see your car bouncing around and you feel free to do the same. I drive a big yellow HJ45 Troopy (looks like an FJ40 but longer, diesel, and Right Hand Drive; you can't miss it).

cool, thanks for the info. And wait, are you the HJ45 RHD in Chattanooga that I've seen?? Cool truck if so. I just sold my old Rover classic to get into this 951 world, but I'm hoping to find another one just as a pooter-arounder truck.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:50 PM
drew944
Advanced

Originally Posted by Signalmtb
cool, thanks for the info. And wait, are you the HJ45 RHD in Chattanooga that I've seen?? Cool truck if so. I just sold my old Rover classic to get into this 951 world, but I'm hoping to find another one just as a pooter-arounder truck.
I'd say I am the one you've seen. I don't think there's many around town. mine is certainly the only one I've seen.
Old 08-30-2015, 01:03 AM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say right now there is at least a 10% chance I will be moving to Chattanooga in about 2.5 years.

If so, you'll have yourself a skilled 951 mechanic with a surplus of spare parts!
Old 08-30-2015, 01:07 AM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Josh B
You should come with us to the 944 Fest at VIR!
Also I second Josh's statement! You definitely should!
Old 09-02-2015, 09:35 AM
Signalmtb
Banned

nice, VIR looks sweet! Maybe I can convince the wife to come along for a weekend.

well, I wasn't ever able to lock in help nearby (chances in Chattanooga are slim) so I've dropped it off at my local shop. Hoping to have it on the road soon.

Quick Reply: Newbie in Chattanooga area looking for connections/help - 951S