Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Balance Point for AOR transmission

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 10:28 PM
beamishnz
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Balance Point for AOR transmission

first imer taking transmission out ... on journey to clutch replacememnt.

Just making up cradle to attach to floor jack for AOR/AOT type transmission.

Could anyone give me a clue on where the point of balance is on these transmissions so I can get the jack fixed at the correct point.

Thanks
Old 08-01-2015, 09:52 AM
931guru
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 233 Posts

Harbor Freight Transmission Jack Adapter works perfectly... No need to reinvent the wheel.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:17 AM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Transmission adapters for jacks are great. I got mine from Amazon, makes it an easy one man job.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:01 PM
beamishnz
Pro

thanks for the feedback. Chrenan picture gives me the the info that I need. I'm in New Zealand and there are not a lot (like none I can find!) of options for transmission jack adapters. I've got some 12 x 2 timber lying around and I can easily make something up with side rails to suit the transmission. It will take me less than an hour to make up and fix to low profile floor jack. Just needed a clue to know where about to centre the jack.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:51 PM
darek_u
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This hole on the bottom is the center of balance of transmission. It was prepared for some kind of adapter I think. Anyway, if you place jack with rubber pad in this point you can lift it up nice and more less stable, especially if you have beam attached and somebody to give you a hand.
Attached Images  
Old 08-02-2015, 12:02 AM
beamishnz
Pro

Hi Darek ... that is really helpful. I was just looking at that hole and wondering if it was for locating a lifting device. Probably the proper workshop lift. It is a 10mm hole for 20mm then steps down to 9mm for another 10mm. It looks as if it could both centre and stabilise but I don't know how thick the casing is around it.

Use ful just to know that it is the balance point though. Thanks so much for the advice.

Nice clean transmission BTW ... mine is black!
Old 08-02-2015, 01:15 AM
darek_u
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice clean transmission BTW ... mine is black!
Thanks. Little elbow grease and you can have it nice and shiny too. Pic below is taken after rebuild and cleaning. Just showing off a little...
Attached Images  
Old 08-02-2015, 03:30 AM
beamishnz
Pro

Originally Posted by darek_u
Thanks. Little elbow grease and you can have it nice and shiny too. Pic below is taken after rebuild and cleaning. Just showing off a little...
Nothing wrong with showing off. I'm keen to take the opportunity to get meine like that too and slip in an LSD while I'm at it
Old 08-19-2015, 03:35 PM
beamishnz
Pro

This is the adapter/jig I made up. Not pretty but and it worked perfectly and was made from of f cuts I had lying around. The 10mm threaded stud that protrudes through the foam treads into the floor jack mount and locates into the hole on the underside of the box. That hole is within 30mm of centre point of balance so perfect. The 2 longer studs at the front locate on the holes to ether side of the bellhousing of the transmission and stop the transmission rolling. Hole set up is very secure.

Thanks for the help and advice. Much appreciated .... I'd have never predicted the balance point was so far back ...

Old 08-19-2015, 03:38 PM
beamishnz
Pro

Now I have to clean it and fit LSD. Darek has set the benchmark of excellence when it comes to shiny transmissions

Quick Reply: Balance Point for AOR transmission