Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Prices seem to be reaching new levels

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 08:39 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

The famous 968 ORCA just sold on eBay for 40G's. There's no way this car will see past 10G's without being an "s" model. And never see it if it's a respray.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:03 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

There have been some 20-30k mile cars that have sold in the $20-30k range recently, so a 9k mile example could go for more. But definitely not on Craigslist, they need to branch out their advertising and give more details.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:42 PM
BobSantos
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

40 grand seems like 911 money and like the market hasn't gotten there yet. There was, however, a white 88 turbo S that went for 23K last month on BaT and it had over 80K miles on it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/252019045505?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AITat over 17K with 8 days left on the Bay.

Things are moving in this market.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:10 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I might just sell my car for 40G's then. It at least has the "real leather" option. Where the lower half of the dash is leather as well as the door panels and center consol. Along with the Charlie arms and solid/monoball everything else suspension I should get that. Heck I think that's about how much I have put into it not to include the fuel it can put back faster then a vet at WOT. On second thought I would need 80G's to cover my costs and break even over the last 15 years. Yep I'll just keep it...
After wrecking my quarterpanel and spending thousands on the car, all upgraded parts(not on the quarterpanel) I have come up with

Porsche acronym...

"Poor old retard should cut his expenses".
It just seems to fit!
Old 07-09-2015, 07:16 PM
George D
Drifting

Yes they are: Amelia Island auction in 2012: http://www.sportscardigest.com/goodi...tion-report/2/

I was there for a biz conference. Neat to see these cars getting their due.

G
Old 07-10-2015, 10:36 AM
PF
Rennlist Member

Received 364 Likes on 182 Posts

I think it is time all of us start to act like true ambassedors around our cars and their value and not talk negative about values. For sure would be customers read here and what should they think if we the 951 crowd can't recognise our cars?
If all of us give our cars the praise they deserve and spread the word that will help get the 951:s value to the level it deserves.

/Peder
Old 07-10-2015, 03:54 PM
George D
Drifting

I've had a few experienced drivers as passengers/drive my car. They can't believe the performance, handling - braking, looks, full stereo - cold AC - etc. Perry Mele set the record at our local track in his Pro Mazda - Inde Motorsports:
Perry has been a passenger and driver of my car many times. He'll openly share it's the best accelerating - handling street legal car he's driven.

I drove up to my stereo place for the new 3M Crystalline tint for the windshield and rest of the car. Been doing business with these folks for a few decades. The new guy thought my car was a Ferrari.

Granted, he's obviously not a car guy, but these cars are timeless, especially with a few external modifications from the past cup/968 TRS cars. Removing the pop up lights, and installing newer dual low - high beams opens up the engine bay for intake - intercooler piping, and IMO, improves the looks of the car.

I'd be embarrassed to ride around in a new Ferrari, but this car doesn't make me feel like I'm showing off, and it will embarrass many of the newer cars with it's performance capabilities. The values are going up with the well sorted or completely stock - as new - 951 cars. You don't see these cars on the road often, especially the as new looking ones. Few know what they are, and all the manufacturers are coming back to small displacement turbo engines - finally they're willing to spend the R & D money on good turbo engineered motors. Driven Ford 3.5 twin turbo car, truck, SUV lately? The new Lincoln with a 2.0 or 2.3 inline turbo four? Never thought I'd see the day.
Old 07-10-2015, 05:29 PM
PF
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by George D
I've had a few experienced drivers as passengers/drive my car. They can't believe the performance, handling - braking, looks, full stereo - cold AC - etc. Perry Mele set the record at our local track in his Pro Mazda - Inde Motorsports: Pro Mazda Breaks Inde Motorsports Lap Record - YouTube Perry has been a passenger and driver of my car many times. He'll openly share it's the best accelerating - handling street legal car he's driven.

I drove up to my stereo place for the new 3M Crystalline tint for the windshield and rest of the car. Been doing business with these folks for a few decades. The new guy thought my car was a Ferrari.

Granted, he's obviously not a car guy, but these cars are timeless, especially with a few external modifications from the past cup/968 TRS cars. Removing the pop up lights, and installing newer dual low - high beams opens up the engine bay for intake - intercooler piping, and IMO, improves the looks of the car.

I'd be embarrassed to ride around in a new Ferrari, but this car doesn't make me feel like I'm showing off, and it will embarrass many of the newer cars with it's performance capabilities. The values are going up with the well sorted or completely stock - as new - 951 cars. You don't see these cars on the road often, especially the as new looking ones. Few know what they are, and all the manufacturers are coming back to small displacement turbo engines - finally they're willing to spend the R & D money on good turbo engineered motors. Driven Ford 3.5 twin turbo car, truck, SUV lately? The new Lincoln with a 2.0 or 2.3 inline turbo four? Never thought I'd see the day.
I agree!

But I have also realised that (with age) I love the look of a well sorted stock looking 951 without extra wings and such but just sleeper mods. The stock look i just so right hence a lowered stance and slightly bigger wheels.
Old 07-10-2015, 06:10 PM
blade7
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by peed
I agree!

But I have also realised that (with age) I love the look of a well sorted stock looking 951 without extra wings and such but just sleeper mods. The stock look i just so right hence a lowered stance and slightly bigger wheels.
Stealth is good .
Old 07-10-2015, 07:00 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had a few experienced drivers as passengers/drive my car. They can't believe the performance, handling - braking, looks, full stereo - cold AC - etc. Perry Mele set the record at our local track in his Pro Mazda - Inde Motorsports: Pro Mazda Breaks Inde Motorsports Lap Record - YouTube Perry has been a passenger and driver of my car many times. He'll openly share it's the best accelerating - handling street legal car he's driven.

I rented the 535 with the twin turbo 2.0l(?) for a week a few years ago and it was really, really nice. I'm happy and sad at the same time for our cars. Only reason I'm sad is because now I'd like to find a good deal on one for track duty and I won't have the funds for a while and also the prices on the used (all?) parts will be going up. Good for Luis though...
Old 07-11-2015, 12:36 AM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by blade7
Stealth is good .
Agree. The airflow mods were necessary to keep the engine/drivetrain cool. There's a few of us that have done this with tenacity. Lean on us. We've been there, and will share our R&D.

G
Old 07-11-2015, 05:24 AM
PF
Rennlist Member

Agree. The airflow mods were necessary to keep the engine/drivetrain cool. There's a few of us that have done this with tenacity. Lean on us. We've been there, and will share our R&D.

G
It is because of amazing cars like yours and others out there that me and I know a lot of others dare to update these cars.

My dream for a long time have been to make a club sport kinda 951 as the factory would have done it. A car which is fairly light and with great chassi and breaks. No monster engine but a reliable one with great on track drivability. I would say for swedish tracks in the 400hp 1250kg region would make a great compromise. My current cars are not a good base for such a build but maybe in the future.

Back to values. Prices here in europe are a lot higher than in the US and they are certanly on the rise on nice cars even with higher mileage and resprays. Here in Sweden though you can still get super nice cars for lets say 150 000 swedish kronor = 16000 euros
Old 07-11-2015, 05:50 AM
blade7
Drifting

G
It's a lot hotter where you are George, even with our summer temps here my car can idle a little lumpy in stop start traffic.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:02 AM
blade7
Drifting

Originally Posted by peed

Back to values. Prices here in europe are a lot higher than in the US and they are certanly on the rise on nice cars even with higher mileage and resprays. Here in Sweden though you can still get super nice cars for lets say 150 000 swedish kronor = 16000 euros
In the UK the price would be 20000 euros if the car has less the 100k miles. Late cars with low mileage and history seem to be what the new money wants to store in their carcoons
Old 07-11-2015, 07:32 AM
Smudo
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 13 Posts

It's true that 951 are still quite fast also by today's standards. They are not the right car for the city traffic with lot of stop & go's, but when you put it on some country roads where you have to use 3rd to 5th gear the performance is grate. During local PC event we did a roar trip and had a chance to switch to some dealer cars. While I switched to Cayman GT3, I handed the car to the Porsche dealer employee (young guy) who never have driven 951 before and after we switched back the cars (at one moment I hit 145 in the Cayman) he was really exited about the performance of the car. It has unmodified engine, with A tune, around 13 Psi and 3 inch exhaust.

Quick Reply: Prices seem to be reaching new levels