Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Coolant leak left suspension arm

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 02:44 PM
SummitP
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leak left suspension arm

I put everything together, and must have missed tightening a coolant line, because the car has coolant leaking out the bottom in the back of the engine bay, onto the rear a arm mount. What could this be? I don't see any coolant leaking out of the turbo water lines, and what I can see of the heater line off the block looks ok too. It is literally dripping off of the a arm. I recall there being any lines there? What did I miss?
Old 02-22-2015, 02:57 PM
SummitP
Instructor

I think I might have a leak in the overflow return to the radiator. I have coolant on the rail below that. Then it flows downt he rail and down onto the arm? That is what I am thinking. Gonna rip into it.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:40 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If your car is stock, it has an overflow tube form the reservoir that spews out in that area (in front of the driver's well) but no return to the radiator that I'm aware of such as modern systems. There's also the plumbing for the coolant to the turbo w/the auxiliary pump that runs after shutdown. If the turbo coolant plumbing looks good, try running with the overflow tube into a coke bottle or something to check for the nefarious head gasket leak. Good luck with it!
Old 02-22-2015, 04:40 PM
SummitP
Instructor

I found it, it was the turbo coolant line on the black octupus plumbing at the front of the car, leaks onto the rail, and back to the arm where it falls out. But I pulled all the lines there, and they all checked out, and then noticed that whee it is leaking at is right at the weld. Do these things break? I had it out and inspected it while I was doing all the lines a while back I didn't notice anything, and it wasn't all corroded. Could I have cracked it while installing it? I don't recall it being terribly difficult to install.
Hassle factor elevated.
edit: coolant leaking out is clean as a whistle.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:34 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Suggest renting a coolant system pressure tester from an auto parts store. Coolant leaks can be tricky and it really helps narrow it down.

I would be surprised if you cracked that piece on install, unless you somehow got it caught on something and cranked it down anyway. Could check this by loosening the bolts to see if it springs up. Not sure what you would get it caught on though.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:24 AM
SummitP
Instructor

I'm just a dumbass. I should have my wrenchin card pulled. Reset the hose and cranked the clamp down, no leaks.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:57 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by adrial
Suggest renting a coolant system pressure tester from an auto parts store. Coolant leaks can be tricky and it really helps narrow it down.

I would be surprised if you cracked that piece on install, unless you somehow got it caught on something and cranked it down anyway. Could check this by loosening the bolts to see if it springs up. Not sure what you would get it caught on though.
Best money you will ever spend, or in my case, save money, and borrow it from a good friend

Quick Reply: Coolant leak left suspension arm