Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

+12V or Ground source from DME while running?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 11:48 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default +12V or Ground source from DME while running?

May be a long shot. I've eliminated my fusebox, and have minimal wiring. I have the fuel pump wired into the same switch that turns on the DME. I'd like to have it cut off in the event of a stall for safety purposes. I had thought pin 20, which controls the ground for the fuel pump side of the DME relay, would do it, but it is always giving ground when the switch is on, regardless of if engine is running or not.

Anyone know of a source? Could be positive or ground, but I'd like it to only work when teh car is running.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:28 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

howabout a relay triggered by the ign. coil?
tap one of the wires on the coil to activate a relay whose power poles go to the fuel pump.
switched power, if the DME doesnt see the engine running then it doesnt make a spark and that would make it not run fuel.

although the coil is pulsed it seems a consistent enough 12v source to at least run a MAF off of.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:33 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The DME controls the fuel pump portion of the DME relay by the ground side:

Old 10-20-2014, 08:05 AM
67King
Race Car

Spencer, the coil is always hot when the key (in my case, switch) is on, so that would give me the exact same results (and I actually have the coil tied into the same source as the fuel pump anyway). So that won't accomplish what I'm trying to do.

Joshua, the wire to 85b is the one I referred to, goes to pin 20 of the DME. It gives ground whenever the key is on.

Maybe if I phrase it like this - how is the fuel pump turned off in the case of a stall? What triggers what (presumably relay) to cut power to the fuel pump (presumably the ground is cut......but is the whole DME, and if so, what signal triggers what to do that)?
Old 10-20-2014, 12:29 PM
Teddy952
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a stock system the fuel pump is shut off if the DME senses that the rpm has dropped below 200 RPM. I'd guess that the speed and reference sensors tell the DME what the RPM is.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:19 PM
67King
Race Car

Originally Posted by Teddy952
On a stock system the fuel pump is shut off if the DME senses that the rpm has dropped below 200 RPM. I'd guess that the speed and reference sensors tell the DME what the RPM is.
Ah, okay, so I need to intentionally stall the car to verify this. I had assumed the ground would break unless the engine were running, since the fuel pump only runs for a couple of seconds at first key-up (I'd assumed that 2 second strategy was in the DME as well). Will try that, again, and if it works, will add the relay in-line as planned.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:00 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

King, it sounds like there is something amiss...

When first key-on, there should be no fuel pump priming. The fuel pump turns on when the key is in the 'cranking' position (physical switched operation). When RPMs are >=160, the DME turns on the pump via pin 20.

If RPMs drop below 160, the DME turns off the pump. (assuming the key isn't in cranking position)
Old 10-20-2014, 04:28 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

You can go to summit or other racing supply place and get fuel pump cut off switches that kill power when you lose oil pressure (like when engine dies) or when you have a hard impact. They're cheap too and designed for safety...
Old 10-20-2014, 05:10 PM
67King
Race Car

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
King, it sounds like there is something amiss...

When first key-on, there should be no fuel pump priming. The fuel pump turns on when the key is in the 'cranking' position (physical switched operation). When RPMs are >=160, the DME turns on the pump via pin 20.

If RPMs drop below 160, the DME turns off the pump. (assuming the key isn't in cranking position)
Well, I have no switch, nor fusebox, nor DME relay, so it is a little bit different, yet more simple. From battery, I go to a power block. Fom there I go to a switch. Switch powers pushbutton for starter solenoid (et al), coil for DME relay (and a small aftermarket 6 panel fusebox). Before I tore it apart, I'd get the pump to prime for about 2 seconds, as per most other OEM applications.

I initially tried to use the original DME relay. but I couldn't get it to be clean, since there aren't any sockets for a 9 pin relay out there, so I isolated the two.

Anyway, now when I key up, pin 20 grounds. KOEO (Key On Engine Off). FWIW, I'm just using a test light hooked to the battery.

Tom....thanks for heads-up. Will check into this if I can't figure out what is going on with the pin 20 ground. I had thought I may wire in an intetia switch, but I don't think it would be as safe given how rough some gators, and even tracks (Sebring) can be.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:55 PM
67King
Race Car

Okay, something is hokey. 20 gives me ground even when master power is off.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:29 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Don't blame the Gators! We are beaten down enough all ready!
Old 10-20-2014, 11:08 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...s.asp?RecID=87

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...s/parts/12-810
Old 10-27-2014, 09:47 AM
67King
Race Car

Alright, I feel like a fool. Had misread the diagram, and was looking at the wrong wire. FOund the right one, and it does what it is supposed to.

Quick Reply: +12V or Ground source from DME while running?